Inspired by Eat Live Run’s Apple Cider Cupcakes
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2/3 cup demerrara or turbinado sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. apple pie spice
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/2 cup grated apple (I used Braeburn)
- 1/2 cup hard ginger or cinnamon cider
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease or line muffin tin.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy.
- Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time.
- Beat in flour and baking powder until thick batter forms.
- Beat in salt, spices, and grated apples.
- Pour cider into the batter and beat just until combined.
- Scoop cupcake batter into muffin cups, filling at least 3/4 of the way up. [I like bigger cupcakes, so I just make less than 11.]
- Bake 22-25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 5-10 minutes in the pan, then remove and allow to cool completely before frosting.
Maple Brown Sugar Cream Cheese Frosting
- 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. maple syrup
- Beat together cream cheese and butter until creamy.
- Beat in powdered sugar 1/4 cup at a time.
- Beat in brown sugar.
- Stir in maple syrup.
- Allow to chill in the fridge until ready to use.
Cookies for Kids’ Cancer is a recognized 501c(3) public charity duly incorporated under the laws of the state of New Jersey. Your donations are tax deductible to the fullest extent allowable by law. 100% of proceeds raised by Cookies for Kids’ Cancer fund pediatric cancer research.