I was excited to participate in the Recipe Redux and Libby’s Speedy Starters & Sides recipe challenge to use one of the brand’s soon-to-be-released* microwaveable veggie pouches to create a 10-minute-or-less starter, salad, or side dish.
While canned corn can work in a tasty chowder, beets taste great from a can, I love (Libby’s actually) canned sauerkraut, and even canned potatoes have their place in one of Stepmama Smart’s quick and easy soup dishes…given a choice, I prefer my preserved vegetables to be frozen. (Or pickled. But that’s another story.)
True, these pouches save space in the pantry, cook in less than a minute, and are environmentally friendly….but I remained hesitant.
Corn seems so summery, but pairing it with apples and warming Caribbean-inspired spices like cinnamon, ginger, and allspice helps it transition into fall.The corn was crisp, not mushy at all, and tasted surprisingly fresh for having come out of a vacuum sealed bag.
I used this Jamaican Jerk Seasoning recipe as inspiration, although you could substitute your own favorite Caribbean inspired seasoning if you so desired. It might seem like a lot of ingredients, but that’s really all just using one measuring spoon (or eyeballing) to dip into a whole lot of spices you’ve more than likely got on hand….and you’ll want to have them if you don’t already.
All you need is one microwaveable safe bowl, one knife, and a
durable counter cutting board. Not only is prep easy, so is cleaning up. (And that’s saying something coming from the one-woman whirlwind with a knife that is me.)
Warm Caribbean-Spiced Apple & Corn Salad
[Makes 2 1/2 cups]
- 1 pouch Libby’s microwaveable sweet corn (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 cup finely diced crisp, tart apple
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Caribbean Seasoning Blend:
- 1 tsp. dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. onion powder
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. curry powder (optional)
- pinch of allspice
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- Combine all seasonings in the bottom of a microwave-safe mixing bowl.
- Add apple, stirring well to coat.
- Put both the Libby’s microwaveable veggie pouch of sweet corn kernels, and the bowl with apples and seasonings, into the microwave.
- Cook on HIGH for 50 seconds.
- Remove bowl and pouch from the microwave.
- Pinch corner of pouch and pour out liquid to drain. Pour corn (and any remaining liquid) directly into the bowl.
- Stir corn into seasoned apples.
- Add cilantro, stirring well to incorporate.
- Enjoy alone, or as an accompaniment to grilled meats or fish.
“I received free samples of Libby’s new Vegetable Pouches mentioned in this post. By posting this recipe I am entering a recipe contest sponsored by Libby’s and am eligible to win prizes associated with the contest. I was not compensated for my time.”