Miss Smart’s Culinary Curriculum
or The Things She Wants to Cook and Eat and Try Before She Dies
1. Roast a chicken (done!)
2. Homemade ice cream
3. Pie crust from scratch (done!)
4. Eat at a nice restaurant…alone.
5. Go vegan for a week.
6. Make homemade pasta.
7. “Stuff” something
8. Grill a steak! [For the love of God, woman...grill a steak!]
9. Dad’s Chili
10. Sourdough starter
11. Cook Thanksgiving Dinner [clearly this won't happen in Sep-Pember...]
12. Make a souffle.
13. Can/Preserve something
14. Make Grammie’s strawberry jam [a little too late for that this year I think!]
15. Sauerkraut [das Ende]
[This is in no particular order, by the way...nor is it short. I don't have a gift for brevity. (But you knew that, didn't you?]
16. Tres Leches Cake
17. Beef Stew
18. Spring Rolls
19. Pulled Pork
20. Successfully make an omelette!
21. Start with dried beans [Chickpeas? Check!]
22. Risotto [yum!]
23. Cook collards “for real” (with the ham hock or the turkey wing)
25. Whip cream (seriously…I never have!)
26. Make all of the “mother sauces”: bechamel, veloute, espagnole, Hollandaise, tomate
28. Grow a vegetable garden.
29. Harvest (and cook) an entire meal.
30. Use phyllo
31. Cook a live lobster
32. Fillet a fish [done!]
33. Make a gratin
34. Pickle something
35. Cook shellfish (mussels, clams, or oysters)
36. Cook pudding and custard (don’t cop out with instant)
38. Low country boil
39. Make sausage from scratch
40. Bake a cheesecake
41. Make miso soup
42. Cook a tuna steak
43. Meet (marry?) Adam Richman
44. Attend this cooking school in Ireland
- a cheesesteak in Philly [yes, I grew up 30 minutes from the city...let's not talk about it]
- chowder in New England
- a lobster roll in Maine
- crabs in Maryland
- deep-dish pizza in Chicago
- sushi in Japan
- pasta in Italy
- bratwurst in Germany [thank you for pointing out my typo so early in the morning...although perhaps they DO make great brats in Italy...I'll find out one day ]
- dolmas in Greece
- fish and chips in London
- pain au chocolate in Paris
- chana masala in India
- paella in Spain