So the theme of this month’s Recipe Redux was Grab a Book (and Cook), celebrating December 2016 by choosing a recipe on page 16, 201, 12, or some combination of all those numbers.
Instead, I grabbed an e-mail. But it was sent on December 16th.
[Or the 18th. Whatever.]
The thing is, The Professor is already up north, where I will soon join him, but while he’s gone, I needed to make this recipe, because it features two of his most hated–and my most favorite–ingredients: ginger and peanut butter.
I made it Low FODMAP by removing the shallots and onions, using water instead of broth, and–because too much zucchini always causes me tummy trouble–subsituted the better tasting yellow squash.
I also made it a bit healthier (maybe?) by roasting the veggies instead of frying them, although you could definitely just saute or steam them with the ginger and spices in the pot.
This is CRAZY good and SUPER simple and I wish I had any chance of convincing The Professor to eat it. Guess I’ll just have to save it for every time he goes out of town.
Low FODMAP Spicy Ginger Peanut Stew
[Adapted from Julia Moskin’s recipe for The New York Times]
- 1/2 lb. yellow squash (about two small to medium sizes), chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 3-4 Tbsp. minced ginger
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. ground coriander
- 3/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 asafoetida (optional)
- 2 14.5 oz cans fire roasted diced tomatoes (with no added seasonings for Low FODMAP)
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 4 cups water
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or 1/2 cup peanut flour mixed with 1/4 cup water)
- 2-3 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 1/4 cup dry roasted peanuts, for garnish
- 2 cups brown rice, dry measure
- Roast squash and eggplant for 20 minutes in a 400 degree oven (until crisp tender, but not mushy). Set aside.
- Prepare rice acording to package directions.
- While rice is cooking, heat coconut oil in a soup pot over medium heat until melted.
- Add ginger and seasonings to the pot, stirring well. Cook and stir about 2-3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, water, and peanut butter to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
- Stir in roasted veggies.
- Just before serving, stir in lemon juice and cilantro.
- Serve over brown rice, sprinkled with cilantro and peanuts.