So, I’m studying graduate student eating behavior for my dissertation.
I laugh it off as a joke.
But, oh, if only you knew.*
*Remind me to tell you the story about the Jason’s Deli catering granola one day.
The latest incarnation and experimentation in my “granola”making (which is really always just a matter of throwing random grains, seeds, spices, and dried fruits into a bowl and seeing what happens) involves products from two of my favorite companies: Love Grown Foods and graze box.
This is more of a sweet(ish) snack mix, because the instant oats get very well stuck on the flakes–without any added honey or nut butter or oil–and it’s a very chunky granola…but it’s also very, very tasty.
Cinnamon Cherry Pear & Walnut “Oats & Flakes” Granola [Gluten-Free]
- 1 cup Love Grown bean flakes (or substitute another GF flake cereal)
- 2 packets Love Grown instant Apple Cinnamon or Brown Sugar oatmeal (or substitute another GF instant oatmeal)
- 1 cup GF rolled oats (or not GF if that isn’t a concern)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup dried pears, diced
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees.
- Combine flakes, instant oatmeal, rolled oats, and walnuts in a large mixing bowl.
- In a separate bowl, stir together applesauce, vanilla, cinnamon, and ginger.
- Pour applesauce mixture over oat mixture and stir well to coat.
- Spread granola onto a metal jelly roll pan or baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes, stirring every 10-15 minutes, until the granola is pretty crisp. (The granola will continue to crisp as it cools.)
- Remove granola from the oven and stir in dried cherries and pears.
- Allow to cool completely before storing.