As much as I have loved blogging over the years, the one thing it has done is made me feel like I’m not really cooking if I’m not making up something strangely unique, or complicated, or trying a new ingredient for the first time.
But I’m not going to let THAT stop me from posting what is absolutely a recipe, even if it does take hardly any work or thought or planning.
(Vegetarian) Sausage & Spinach Stuffed Eggplant
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1/3 cup (or so) chopped sweet onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 vegetarian sausage patties (I used Morningstar Maple)
- 3-4 cups (handfuls) baby spinach leaves
- 1 Tbsp. dried thyme
- 1 tsp soy sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos
- s + p
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Slice eggplant in half lengthwise.
- Scoop out the ‘pulp,’ leaving about 1/2″ around the edge (and on the bottom). Set pulp aside.
- Spray (or lightly brush) hollowed out eggplant with olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
- Meanwhile, chop eggplant pulp and sausage (can still be frozen).
- In a medium pan, soften onion and garlic.
- Add eggplant and sausage to the pan.
- Season with thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Cook until eggplant is soft and sausage is cooked through.
- Wilt in spinach and drizzle on soy sauce.
- Adjust seasoning to taste.
- Scoop filling back into eggplant shells.
- Bake 15-20 more minutes.