I also knew that if I could convince a staunch anti-tofu advocate to consume an eggless quiche, the recipe would probably go over at least moderately well with confirmed vegetarians.
…I also made it nut-free, or no apparent reason other than I thought using unsweetened (I repeat: unsweetened) banana chips might be have the same ‘let’s release oil to help it hold together’ effect that nuts would have, at a fraction of the cost.*
The basic filing was the same, but fresh basil is now plentiful, so clearly it had to be taken advantage of (in a completely innocent and appropriate way that wouldn’t require the involvement of HR officials).
Nut-Free Herb Cracker Crust
- 25 stoneground wheat crackers (about half a box)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened banana chips
- 3 Tbsp. butter
- 3 Tbsp. milk
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed
- 1 Tbsp. herb seasoning
- Put crackers, banana chips, flax, and herb seasoning into a food processor bowl.
- Process until a coarse meal forms.
- Add butter and milk to the food processor.
- Process well.
- Press cracker mixture into a greased pie pan.
Summer Vegetable Eggless Quiche Filling
- 1 (14 oz.) block firm tofu
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk (or dairy milk)
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 5-6 fresh basil leaves
- 1 Tbsp. fresh mint
- 1 Tbsp. mild dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos
- 1 tsp. ground turmeric
- 1 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
Eggless Summer Vegetable Quiche
- 1 recipe Nut-Free Herb Cracker Crust
- 1 recipe Summer Vegetable Eggless Quiche Filling
- 1 cup thinly sliced Japanese eggplant
- 1 cup thinly sliced zucchini
- 1 cup thinly sliced yellow summer squash
- 1/2 cup roasted red pepper, cut into thin strips
fresh basil and mint, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Place eggplant, zucchini, and squash in one layer on a baking sheet. Coat lightly with cooking spray and season with a bit of salt and pepper (optional).
- Bake vegetables 10-12 minutes until softened. Remove from oven and set aside.
- Bake crust for 5 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Spread 1/3 of vegetables onto pie crust.
- Top with 1/2 tofu filling. Spread to cover.
- Arrange another 1/3 of the vegetables in an even layer, along with half of the roasted red pepper strips.
- Cover with remaining filling.
- Top with remaining vegetables, artfully arranged (of course).
- Bake quiche 30-40 minutes, until top is browned and crackling.