Jamaican Black Bean & Rice ‘Burgers’
[Loosely adapted from Jenn's Triple-Bean Burgers]
- 1 (15-oz.) can of black beans
- 1/3 cup previously frozen (or fresh) bell peppers, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped green (or sweet) onion
- 1 Tbsp (or so) of coconut–or other–oil
- 3/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup rolled oats
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax
- 1 egg
- salt + pepper
- 1 Tbsp. Jamaican Jerk seasoning (I like the one from Whole Foods.)
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add diced peppers and onions to the skillet, seasoning with a bit of salt and pepper.
- Cook peppers and onions until soft and translucent. Remove from heat.
- Rinse and drain black beans.
- Combine beans, peppers, onions, and remaining ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork–or, even better, your hands–mash and mix together all ingredients.
- Form into four patties and refrigerate for an hour (or more).
- When ready to eat, cook burgers in a bit of oil over medium heat, flipping once browned.
Note: The problem I often have with cooking veggie burgers is getting them to ‘cook’/heat all the way through. Covering the pan will help to keep them hot!