The Whole Foods impulse buy*…
…and its crowd-pleasing* only subtly strange flavor.
Ginger Grapefruit [Vegan] Creamy Kale
(Makes 4 servings)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen sliced leeks
- 2 Tbsp. crushed fresh ginger
- 2 tsp. minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped fresh grapefruit, seeds and pith removed
- 1 [10-oz.] bag frozen chopped kale (or spinach)
- 2 tsp. low sodium soy sauce
- salt + pepper
- 2 Tbsp. honey (optional)
sesame seeds, for garnish
- Over medium heat, cook leeks, ginger, garlic (and a smidge of salt and pepper) in a tad bit of coconut oil.
- Once leeks soften and turn translucent, stir in grapefruit.
- Cook 2-4 minutes.
- Remove grapefruit and leek mixture from the pan and put into a blender. Allow to cool a bit before blending, adding almond milk until mixture reaches a smooth consistency.
- Meanwhile, add frozen kale to the pan and allow to defrost.
- Once kale is soft and heated through add ginger grapefruit sauce to the pan, stirring well to coat.
- Allow to heat through before serving.
Although she might have to cut back on the ginger due to her newly discovered food intolerances, I think Laura would approve of the sweet and sour citrus combination….and my turning her hair into curly kale.