…or pull Mama Smart’s thrift store ‘granola pan’ from its hidden location in the cupboard–because it could never be accidentally used to bake anything else–and turn that idea of oatmeal into a batch of something snackworthy.
I’ve blogged about this pan before (and no, I’m not going to look through the four years of posts to find the moments), but I am thoroughly convinced that no granola is ever as good as that baked in this pan.
…the one I made for this month’s Recipe Redux features a rather surprising ingredient.
In addition to cocoa krispies, pebbles, or the fancy schmancy all-natural version I used, there are crunchy chia seeds stirred into the mix.
Chocolate Cherry Chia Nut-Free Granola
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 cups cocoa rice cereal
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. turbinado sugar
- 1/2 Tbsp. ground ginger
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 6 Tbsp. cherry preserves
- 3 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 6 Tbsp. dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a mixing bowl, combine oats, cocoa cereal, chia seeds, sugar, and spices.
- Melt together cherry preserves, vanilla extract, and coconut oil in the microwave. (Cook about 30 seconds and stir well.)
- Pour cherry coconut oil over dry ingredients and stir very well to combine.
- Spread granola into a metal baking pan.
- Bake 30 minutes, stirring halfway through.
- Remove pan from oven and stir in dried cherries.
- Bake 5-10 more minutes.
- Remove pan from oven and stir in chocolate chips, just until starting to melt.
- Allow granola to cool in the pan completely before storing.