Banana ‘Flour’ Dark Chocolate Cookies

by Sarah on March 3, 2014 · 8 comments

When you’ve got a 14-lb. box of unsweetened banana chips taking up precious space in your (second) pantry–and don’t particularly like to eat them on their own–

IMG_3102 (1024x683)

—you’ve got to get creative.IMG_3340 (1024x683)

Although continuing to make Caramelized Banana Wal-Nutty Butter or Banana Honey Roasted Peanut Butter  (will continue to be) a very obvious option–IMG_20140222_111335

—there was yet another banana-dventure on my mind.IMG_3273 (1024x681)

Lindsay told me at Blend last year about using dried bananas to make gluten-free ‘flour’ for her Healthy Bites and I’ve been thinking about it ever since.IMG_3285 (1024x681)

Inspired by Michelle, and her yes-I’m-still-thinking-about-them  Chewy Chocolate Meringue Cookies for this year’s Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, I created this recipe using a bunch of (dried) bananas  and a WHOLE lot of dark chocolate.IMG_3308 (1024x683)

It’s a bit of a misnomer to even put banana in the title, because they don’t taste at all like bananas.IMG_3317 (1024x683)

(Whether or not this is due to the large amount of melty chocolate or not is still up for debate.)IMG_3140 (1024x683)

However, the texture of the crushed bananas helps make for a super chewy (gluten free) cookie creation.IMG_3343 (1024x683)

And they have yellow freckles.

Which is fun.

IMG_3338 (1024x683)

Banana ‘Flour’ Dark Chocolate Cookies

[Makes 16 cookies]

• 2 cups unsweetened banana chips
  • 1 1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate
  • 1/2 cup powdered sugar
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1-2 Tbsp. brewed coffee or water
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. Process banana chips in a food processor until a coarse meal forms.
  3. Combine banana meal, dark chocolate, sugar, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in a mixing bowl.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg whites, vanilla, and coffee (or water).
  5. Combine wet and dry ingredients; stir well.
  6. Scoop dough onto a greased cookie sheet.
  7. Bake 10-15 minutes.

Marisa @ Uproot from Oregon March 3, 2014 at 12:25 pm

What a creative idea! I love banana chips but get sick of them easily after gorging on them (haha). Next time I have some excess, I am getting on this!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 3, 2014 at 1:37 pm

I am with you on the banana chips. I don’t love them alone… they seem like such a good idea though. Cookies are a MUCH better idea!

lindsay March 3, 2014 at 1:48 pm

you are brilliant. Yes, banana flour. its so good as a flour, not alone. agreed.

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables March 3, 2014 at 3:23 pm

Oh my gosh these look SO GOOD!!! That is so creative! And it counts as healthy because there are so many bananas, right? ;)

Miss Polkadot March 4, 2014 at 8:22 am

We’ll overlook the fact that you said you didn’t like banana chips on their own – dip them in nut butter! – because this idea is awesome. And I’m glad to know I’m not the only one with an overstocked first and (!) second pantry.

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets March 4, 2014 at 7:29 pm

Banana flour?! I’m amazed. I bow down to your creativity and you should know I very rarely bow down to anyone.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables March 5, 2014 at 7:31 am

holy moly you kill me!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 7, 2014 at 1:52 pm

Seriously girl?! It’s like you’re reading my mind…or my pantry! First with the savi seeds and now this?! I just went through some of my shelves and was THISCLOSE to tossing the banana chips I picked up in Atlanta a few weeks ago…I didn’t realize they were UNsweetened when I bought them and yeah, on their own they taste like friggin cardboard! NOW I’ve got not one but TWO recipes (because I obviously forgot about the nutty butter) to use them up! Eeeee! Thanks lady! xoxo