Kanye Should Have Named His Baby Key…[What I Ate Wednesday]

by Sarah on January 1, 2014 · 12 comments

…because then she would have not only followed in the Kardashian K-name tradition, her name would be a tropically vibrant destination, instead of a compass direction.IMG_20131231_080146_157 (800x450)

Just saying.IMG_0834 (800x533)

Two point five days was the perfect amount of time to soak up some rain sun, explore the wild streets and quirky neighborhoods of the island…

IMG_20131230_083747

…and, of course, hang out with a bunch of roosters.

(Seriously, where ARE all the hens?)IMG_0843 (534x800)

Oh, and, you know…eat.keywestWIAW

Although the trip was full of rather decadent treats to share with Jenn, and all of you WIAW aficionados, I was no less excited about the breakfast I packed for the plane: overnight oats made with Love Grown Superoats and Growing Naturals vanilla protein powder, topped off with Earth Balance coconut peanut butter, and accompanied by a Sweetango apple.IMG_20131229_071315

We wasted no time in kicking off the key-cation, meeting friends at Charlie Mac’s, a BBQ restaurant off of Duvall Street…IMG_0842 (800x533)

…where it was burnt end tacos for The Professor…IMG_0849 (800x533)

…and blackened mahi mahi tacos for me. (Along with a generous sampling of all three of Charlie Mac’s BBQ sauces…)IMG_0857 (800x533)

Did I mention one of the best Bloody Marys I’ve ever had?*

*Not that I’ve had all that many, really.IMG_0860 (533x800)

The Fried Lobster BLT served up the next day at Six-Toed Cat looked tempting, certainly…IMG_0941 (800x533)

…but I was happy to munch on a pre-packed peanut butter sandwich and apple after visiting Hemingway’s ghostIMG_0921 (532x800)

I had to save myself for something better.IMG_20131230_134118_383 (800x450)

Chocolate-Covered Key Lime Pie.

On a stick.

What about that ISN’T amazing?IMG_0947 (800x533)

Breakfasts were provided both mornings by the fabulous Old Town Manor where we stayed.IMG_0830 (533x800)

A breakfast bar with a range of options, including toast, peanut butter, yogurt, fruit?IMG_0867 (800x533)

Plus endless coffee?IMG_0875 (800x533)

Surrounded by THIS?IMG_0874 (800x533)

Yep. Perfection.IMG_0887 (800x533)

I know what you’re thinking: Sarah, you went all the way to Key West and only ate one piece of Key Lime pie and drank only one tropical drink?*

*Is a mimosa really even tropical?IMG_0936 (533x800)

And that is where you would be wrong.IMG_20131229_180024_634 (800x451)

But I’ll save the wedding recap for another day. :) IMG_20131230_173413_506 (800x450)

Kadee-Cat January 1, 2014 at 6:03 pm

So. Much. Jealousy. Those tacos! That sandwich!!! The key lime pie on a stick???!! I’m swooning. :)

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist January 1, 2014 at 8:09 pm

I want that chocolate covered key lime pie SO badly!! Holy moses! And I’ve never been to Key West! You’re a lucky lady

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 1, 2014 at 9:22 pm

Ah vacation – the most wonderful time of the year. :)

Debbie (Accidently Delish) January 1, 2014 at 11:19 pm

i LOVE key lime anything. goodness i want that.

and those tacos look amazing. gah. i love tacos too.

really i just love food.

and your holey bread. is that chompies low carb bread? i tried their cinnamon raisin bread once and it was pretty holey.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 2, 2014 at 5:25 pm

I don’t know… I would have had to have that BLT! I love all the food stuffs. Can’t wait to go there myself one day!!!

Mollie @Sprinkles of Life January 3, 2014 at 11:13 am

I’ve never been to Key West, but so badly want to go there someday! that key lime pie….um, YUM!! and the BLT. I wouldnt have had the will power to say no to that!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert January 5, 2014 at 8:52 pm

You have all the fun! It looks like an amazing trip. Hope you’re enjoying good weather back at school. You know I would have to try the key lime pie and a few drinks. Such a beautiful setting.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables January 6, 2014 at 10:07 am

That is perfection… so jealous girl! xoxo

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 6, 2014 at 8:53 pm

Salivating…over those tacos and the key lime pie, plus all the cocktails. Laura was a fabulous influence on you.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli January 22, 2014 at 5:21 am

Hey girl! HAAAAAAAAY!! Just catching up witcha…it’s been TOO long!

Eh, you can keep your key lime pie. The professor’s tacos on the other hand? Mmm, I’d have been ALL OVER THAT!