When visiting friends, some people bring wine.
Inspired by my eager, “how many more days?” too-excited-to-sleep anticipation of my fall break Southern Midwest road trip up to Kentucky to visit one of my best friends (more than blends) Brittany, I wanted to create the perfect hostess gift.
Coincidentally, the perfect hostess gift–when it comes from The Smart Kitchen, anyway–is a perfect Nutty Butter. [If only I'd been visiting you, Heather, on this Meatless Monday(from A to Z), right?]
Those of you who follow her blog know that Brittany has an extensive number of food allergies, that she doesn’t just ‘deal with,’ but gets immensely creative in adapting into an experimentally delicious collection of allergen-free recipes.
Vanilla, salt, and a wee bit of sugar make this nut butter a delightfully delectable blend of nuttiness, with only a hint of coconut flavor to add a bit of intrigue.
Toasted Brazil & Coconut Butter
- 2 1/2 cups Brazil nuts
- 1 cup grated,unsweetened coconut
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. demerara sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Toast Brazil nuts for 5-7 minutes on a baking sheet. Remove from oven.
- Line baking sheet with wax paper. Spread coconut into a thin layer on top. Toast for 3-5 minutes.
- Combine slightly cooled nuts and coconut in a food processor.
- Process until smooth, scraping sides of processor as necessary (3-5 minutes).
- Add vanilla, sugar, salt; process well.
- If desired, mix in coconut oil for intensified flavor and creaminess.