Vanilla Honey Toasted Oats & Cashews

by Sarah on October 28, 2013 · 17 comments

I’ve been through granola phases, and I’ve been through muesli phases. I’ve even been through a phase of oats eaten like muesli, made by a company who originally made granola. (Yeah, wrap your mind around THAT.)IMG_20131002_165446_935 (1024x576)

These phases are characterized by incessant munching, nibbling, and sprinkling. [OR crumbling up bunches of granola bars so I could eat them in this manner...because that's just what I do.]

IMG_5612 (1024x714)

The lastest phase in which I am now phfirmly and emphatically stuck in is that of the Toasted Oats & Cashews.IMG_7024 (1024x682)

We can blame this all on my Blog Mama, Tricia, who mailed me the sweetest care package containing these Maple Toasted Almonds & Oats which should have carried a surgeon chef general’s warning about potential addiction.IMG_4220 (1024x683)

But because I think overnight oats are better with quick-cooking oatmeal, well, that’s what I’ve usually got.IMG_6950 (1024x681)

And while I could easily obtain more almonds, Nutty Butter (LLC) has left me in possession of a major minor overabundance of cashews.IMG_6962 (1024x683)

So I came up with my own little version of this addictive cereal concoction that actually suits me quite well.IMG_6988 (1024x683)

The smaller-sized oats still get crunchy, but they stick so much better to yogurt in that strange texturally satisfying way.IMG_6920 (1024x683)

And the cashew pieces often stick to the oats much better, forming  in nice little granola-esque bites…allowing me to more easily go through and pick them all out.*IMG_6978 (1024x683)

*I may or may not have had to toast more cashews to add to remaining oats…more than once.IMG_7019 (1024x683)

This isn’t a super sweet blend of cereal perfection. [In fact, I often use even less honey than the recipe I created.]IMG_6970 (1024x683)

But it sprinkles well.IMG_6796 (1024x683)

It disappears quickly.IMG_6912 (1024x683)

And we all know the best part about Honey Bunches of Oats sure isn’t the flakes.IMG_6468 (1024x684)

Vanilla Honey Toasted Oats & Cashews

• 2 cups quick-cook or old-fashioned oats
  • 1 cup cashew pieces
  • 4 Tbsp. honey (or more or less to preference)
  • 2 Tbsp. vanilla extract
  • pinch (or three) of salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients.
  3. Stir well.
  4. Spread mixture onto a wax paper-lined baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 10-15 minutes, stirring every 5 minutes.
  6. Remember: Oats will continue to crisp as they cool!

———————————

And y’all all thought I was going to make a new Nutty Butter for Heather‘s Meatless Mondays A to Z, N is for Nuts challenge, didn’t y’all?

Ha!

MMAZnuts

[...wait until next week.]

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables October 28, 2013 at 7:08 am

I totally had a cashew craving yesterday (but I didn’t have any in the house!!) so this is sounding PERFECT right now! I still need to try those Love Grown Hot Oats!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 28, 2013 at 7:39 am

Cashews are like the dessert of nuts. I always “borrow” a few from the bulk bins at Whole Foods. I keep waiting for someone to bust me…

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) October 28, 2013 at 8:03 am

Oh these flavors are right up my alley! And I could eat cashews all dang day. They’re so good!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist October 28, 2013 at 10:20 am

I’m totally a honey cashew kind of girl. Just sayin.

Ang @ Nutty for Life October 28, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Coincidentally I just bought a HUGE batch of cashews because the bulk bins at my Kroger were half off. It was kind of like “Cashews are always expensive, so why not buy a crap ton right this minute because now they’re cheap!” And then I bought them and have been trying to figure out what to use them in. And now I have something!

Cori @ olivetorun October 28, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Cashews remind me of my dad and grandpa- they go to town on those things. They are the perfect combo of salty and fats. :)

Jo-De October 28, 2013 at 4:41 pm

Made these with TJ’s coconut cashews and it was delish!!!!!!!

Sarah October 28, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I LOVE that idea. So happy you enjoyed. :)

GiGi Eats Celebrities October 28, 2013 at 11:39 pm

I remember I used to sneak into the dining hall kitchen and steal cashews!LOL! I ate so many ALL THE TIME that I totally gained like 10 pounds, BAHHH HA HA! But they’re too good haha

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate October 29, 2013 at 4:37 am

This reminds me of the bulk bin cashew granola that I always pick all the cashews out of and leave the sad oats behind for the next bulk bin go-er. But the vanilla + honey…genius.

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Oh this sounds so divine! Perfect flavor combo and cashews are my favorite nut. Yummy! :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 30, 2013 at 5:19 am

Oh my gosh, that pic of the cashew covered in tiny oat pieces reminds me of those sesame honey cashews at TJ’s…that I refuse to buy because I’m pretty sure I would eat the entire bag in like, ten seconds! Ha! I was never a big cashew fan until recently when I discovered the deliciousness of SALTED cashews…it really makes a big difference…and pairs so well with sweet candy coated chocolate pieces that make you go mmm & mmm! ;)

Tricia B October 30, 2013 at 10:25 am

:) This looks yummy! It doesn’t last long at our house either. Nice ‘Sarah spin’ – I have to try it!