Roasted Cauliflower + Wild Mushroom [Vegan] Bisque

by Sarah on October 22, 2013 · 13 comments

I grew up in the Mushroom Capital of the World, but I never liked mushrooms.

And then a few years ago, I started to become rather obsessed. My favorites are actually raw, white button mushrooms, which is the least exotic of all the mushrooms. Ever.IMG_5250 (1024x683)

That doesn’t mean, however, I’m not excited to try more wild varietiesIMG_5998 (1024x683)

especially if they are sent for free as part of a recipe contest/challenge. :) IMG_5979 (1024x682)

When Marx Foods contacted me to be a part of their ‘Shrooms for Soup recipe challenge, I couldn’t say ‘no.’shrooms_for_soup

But instead of just sticking to ONE type of mushrooms, I used all three.*

*Three is a magic number after all.IMG_6225 (1024x683)

I had some pretty delicious inspiration in the form of this local Roasted Cauliflower Soup with mushrooms and local turnips from Epiphany, here in Tuscaloosa. What I loved about it was you could really taste all of the components without the drowning (and diluting) effect of too much heavy cream.IMG_20131016_184836_436 (1024x575)

My soup is similar: it is essentially straight-up veggies masquerading as ‘bisque.’

IMG_6544 (1024x683)

Let’s just say they showed up to the Halloween costume party a little bit early?IMG_6557 (1024x683)

It starts with frozen cauliflower.*

*Cheaper, easier, and much more practical when you know it’s going to soon experience death-by-processor.

IMG_6015 (1024x683)

Roasting it cuts the frozen taste, but it’s still soft enough to blend easily (and with fairly smooth results).

IMG_6190 (1024x683)

Rinsing and then soaking the dried mushrooms overnight gives you not only soft and tasty mushrooms, but soft and tasty mushroom broth as well.IMG_6185 (1024x682)

From there it’s a matter of blending and seasoning.

(And perhaps a taste test or two, followed by more blending and more seasoning.)

IMG_6213 (1024x683)

Honestly, I loved it just like it was. Cold.

But I’m a little crazy.IMG_6245 (683x1024)

Heating only enhances the flavor. And waiting a day or two to eat it? Well it doesn’t take magical mushrooms to convince you that every soup tastes better the next day (or the day after that).IMG_6255 (1024x683)

It will not, however, get any more photogenic.IMG_6564 (1024x683)

Roasted Cauliflower + Wild Mushroom Soup [Vegan]

• 2 cups dried mixed mushrooms (rinsed and rehydrated*), soaking water reserved
  • 4 cups frozen cauliflower
  • 3/4 cup diced sweet onion
  • 2 Tbsp. dried thyme
  • 1 Tbsp. (vegan) Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tsp. salt (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp. ground black pepper (or to taste)
  • 1 tsp. ground mustard (or to taste)
  1. Roast cauliflower and onions (coated with a bit of cooking spray), covered at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, until starting to brown. Allow to cool.
  2. Combine cauliflower, onion, and 1 1/2 cups of reserved mushroom soaking water in a food process.
  3. Process until smooth.
  4. Add thyme, Worcestershire sauce, and seasonings. Process well.
  5. Add mushrooms and 1/2 cup soaking water to the food processor, reserving 1/4 cup of mushrooms for garnish.
  6. Process well.
  7. Pour bisque mixture into a large saucepan over medium heat.
  8. Bring to a simmer, reduce heat, and serve.

*Rinse mushrooms in a colander, and then rehydrate by submerging in (fresh) water and storing in the fridge overnight.

Rebecca @ Strength and Sunshine October 22, 2013 at 7:24 am

I had always hated mushrooms until this summer I tried some baby button mushrooms raw and for some reason I fell in love and can’t get enough since! I love them all and just recently ordered a whole bunch or dried so I will definitely be trying your recipe! :)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! October 22, 2013 at 7:51 am

Another MUST MAKE from the Smart Kitchen! I always forget how much I love dried mushrooms! They’re so much more flavorful than regular! Also, nutritional yeast and cauliflower are a match made in heaven. Need this soup in my life ASAP.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 22, 2013 at 8:07 am

I love mushrooms, but I had not idea there was a mushroom capitol. I’ve also never used dried ‘shrooms. This looks fantastic. I really like the cauliflower to thicken it! I just wish we could have summer temps and still eat soup. I’m cold.

Hannah@acaseofwanderlust October 22, 2013 at 8:08 am

Unlike you, I’ve TOTALLY been having a mushroom thing lately. Sadly, the cauliflower here in Taiwan is….more like wilterflower. It’s the saddest thing I’ve ever seen. And I don’t have a food processor. I guess I should just pin this recipe for when I get back to the states? Thanks for another goodie :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables October 22, 2013 at 7:06 pm

You are killing me lately with these recipes!!! I love me some mushrooms!

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 22, 2013 at 7:59 pm

Oh I love me some mushrooms!! This looks delicious girl – you win first prize from me!!

Serena October 23, 2013 at 11:50 am

I want to make this! YUM! But I’m curious about roasting frozen cauliflower…do you need to add any oil to it before roasting? If not, don’t the chopped onions get a bit burnt when roasted…or not because the cauliflower is so wet? Do you roast the cauliflower from frozen, or thawed? Thanks!

Sarah October 23, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Thanks for asking! I might let the cauliflower sit out of the freezer for a minute or so, but it is still pretty frozen when I pop it in the oven. However, I’ve roasted thawed cauliflower before and it works just as well–you have to adjust the time though. I roast it covered, which helps keep the moisture in, so the onions don’t get burned. Also, I lightly spray everything with canola oil, but not a lot of that!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 24, 2013 at 2:10 am

I can’t blame you for eating it straight up…I can totally see this as a dip for some toasty baguette pieces or salty pretzels! Yum!

And now I must confess a few things: I’ve never made anything with wild mushrooms because I’m intimidated by them! I always clear out the mushrooms on a veggie platter…they’re good in ranch dressing, but my favorite dip is ketchup! As much as I love raw mushrooms, I think canned ones are better on pizza!