I’ve been eating a lot of eggplant lately.
I don’t actually know much about eggplant’s growing season, but I do know it grows right here, right now. Since the farmers’ market
and Target has become the source of all food for me, I’ve ended up with lots of peaches, tomatoes, okra….and eggplant.
In efforts to diversify (and increase) my protein intake, I started to think about concocting a riff on Tribe‘s roasted eggplant hummus, which I’ve only ever found/tasted/tried once, but still held a place on my ‘recreate’ list.
White Bean Baba Ghanoush
[Makes about 3 cups]
- 1 can Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups diced eggplant
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion
- 2-3 tablespoons lemon
- 1 Tbsp. minced garlic (1 large clove)
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine eggplant and onion on baking sheet or in a casserole dish. Toss with olive oil or cooking spray. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.
- Bake/roast vegetables until tender, about 30 minutes.
- Allow eggplant and onion mixture to cool.
- Combine eggplant and onions with remaining ingredients in a food processor.
- Process until just slightly chunky, or continue to puree until smooth, adding water or olive oil for consistency as desired.