Coconut Curry Cashew Hummus

by Sarah on September 12, 2013 · 10 comments

You’ve heard me harp* on and on about how it’s not really hummus if it isn’t made with garbanzo beans.

*If I could harp on and on while playing a harp…now that might truly make an impression.

However, I have a small confession to make:

I think white beans make a better bean dip.*

*[Cue: shock and awe.]IMG_2884 (1024x683)

So when I had leftover white beans from my White Bean Baba Ghanoush, I combined my knowledge of the creamier, smoother, more versatile with flavor pairing nature of white beans…with an idea I got from a guest post that Anna did for Laura:IMG_2909 (1024x683)

What’s even creamier than white beans?

Peanut butter!

Um. I mean…cashew cream.

made from soaked raw cashews. obviously. made from soaked raw cashews. obviously.

From there is was a logical journey from cashew to curry…IMG_2917 (1024x681)

…to coconut (butter).IMG_2902 (1024x683)

Well, logical for me.

and extra ginger. never say no to extra ginger. and extra ginger. never say no to extra ginger.

And after that, well, it’s time to take the product of your tastebuds’ technicolor dreams and introduce it to the world!

or at least the steps of the campus library. or at least the steps of the campus library.

And really, in the end, I have to say hummus schmummus.

with local tomatoes on great harvest cville crunch bread with local tomatoes on great harvest cville crunch bread

Because whether you call it bean dip or hummus, or even cashew bean cream

messy = yummy messy = yummy

Or if you spread it on a sandwich, plop it on a salad, or mix it in to local spaghetti squash with a side of eggs…IMG_3124 (1024x683)

All I have to say is….

I wonder what would happen if I made this with almond fluff?

IMG_2942 (1024x680)

Coconut Curry Cashew Hummus*

• 3/4 c. Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least three hours and drained
  • 1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1-2 Tbsp. coconut butter
  • 1 Tbsp. tahini
  • 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
  • 1 Tbsp. curry powder
  • salt (to taste)
  • water (optional for consistency)
  1. Combine beans and cashews in a food processor.
  2. Process until smooth.
  3. Add remaining ingredients–except salt and water–and continue to process until incorporated.
  4. Salt to taste and add water in small increments to reach desired consistency.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 12, 2013 at 6:51 am

Call it what you will, that looks quite tasty to me!! :)

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables September 12, 2013 at 7:14 am

I’m loving all things coconut these days! This sounds so good! I’ve never thought of that combination before (but you’re so creative, so I shouldn’t be too surprised, haha)

Hope things are going well!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! September 12, 2013 at 7:27 am

Confession: I agree about white beans ;)

I make this rosemary bean puree/dip on holidays and it is BANGIN’! So creamy and smooth!

PS: I think you should send me the recipes for the broccoli slaw crusts and big buckwheat pancakes! :) It’ll be out little secret!

Heather @ Better With Veggies September 12, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I think there is an endless supply of hummus creations…and that makes me very happy. :)

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist September 12, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Oh my gahhhhh that looks SO good!

Meg @ A Dash of Meg September 12, 2013 at 7:34 pm

you are an absolute GENIUS! I haven’t make a white bean dip before but you bet i’ll make this. love you.

Jo-De September 12, 2013 at 11:00 pm

How are coconut butter and coconut oil different?

Sarah September 13, 2013 at 4:50 pm

I’m not an expert, but coconut oil is what is extracted from the coconut pulp, whereas coconut butter includes the pulp AND the oil. The same way that natural nut butters separate into ‘butter’ and ‘oil’ is how coconut butter (at least the homemade kind) reacts. [Of course, coconut butter and oil also have some special temperature-related qualities, like the fact that it freezes like magic shell when you put it on ice cream, or turns incredibly runny in the heat.] Coconut butter tastes like coconut, while coconut oil just adds a brightness to food (in my opinion).

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table September 13, 2013 at 9:27 am

I’d eat that by the spoonful. Why bother with dippers? ;)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 29, 2013 at 12:56 am

I agree with you 100% on the white beans…such a better and creamier consistency! This looks and sounds amazing (and so much better than that curry sweet potato hummus I got at Earth Fare) but can we just stop to appreciate your little rhyming skills? “From there it was a logical journey from cashew to curry…” I thought for a second you were gonna bust out with a limerick! Hahaha!