You’ve heard me harp* on and on about how it’s not really hummus if it isn’t made with garbanzo beans.
*If I could harp on and on while playing a harp…now that might truly make an impression.
However, I have a small confession to make:
I think white beans make a better bean dip.*
So when I had leftover white beans from my White Bean Baba Ghanoush, I combined my knowledge of the creamier, smoother, more versatile with flavor pairing nature of white beans…with an idea I got from a guest post that Anna did for Laura:
What’s even creamier than white beans?
Um. I mean…cashew cream.made from soaked raw cashews. obviously.
…to coconut (butter).
Well, logical for me.and extra ginger. never say no to extra ginger.
And after that, well, it’s time to take the product of your tastebuds’ technicolor dreams and introduce it to the world!or at least the steps of the campus library.
And really, in the end, I have to say hummus schmummus.with local tomatoes on great harvest cville crunch bread
Because whether you call it bean dip or hummus, or even cashew bean cream…messy = yummy
All I have to say is….
I wonder what would happen if I made this with almond fluff?
Coconut Curry Cashew Hummus*
- 3/4 c. Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for at least three hours and drained
- 1-2 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 1-2 Tbsp. coconut butter
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 1 Tbsp. minced fresh ginger
- 1 Tbsp. curry powder
- salt (to taste)
- water (optional for consistency)
- Combine beans and cashews in a food processor.
- Process until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients–except salt and water–and continue to process until incorporated.
- Salt to taste and add water in small increments to reach desired consistency.