Mocha Chip (Vegan) Mousse [#MMAZ]

by Sarah on August 5, 2013 · 17 comments

If all goes according to plan, as you are reading this, I have successfully made it to Alabama from Pennsylvania by way of Charlottesville, collecting my belongings as I go and officially moving to the Deep South. Only time (and Instagram?) will tell what happened along the way, as I expect a bit of radio blog silence over the next week.

But I couldn’t leave y’all without a Meatless Mondays A-Z recipe, now could I?*

*Haven’t missed one yet. It has become a point of pride to never do so.

As soon as Heather made the announcement that I is for Instant Coffee and I got over the ‘cheat’ factor of this one my brain started churning.

Seeing as how I was moving, I did not think it would be the smartest plan to go out and buy instant coffee where there wasn’t any before, but… I was in luck!

Stepmama Smart travels often, and has quickly learned the ways of the Smarts*, meaning: steal every free sample and single-serve food item that you can find.

*Names have been changed. [In case you are new. ;) ]

The rest of this recipe was simply the result of asking myself “What do I already have that I need to use before moving?” and Can we please involve chocolate?

And my self*–being not only highly creative but also very permissive to cravings on occasion–responded with “tofu” and “Abso-frickin’-lutely!”

*Not a typo.Fun with grammar.

And although really, I had hit upon an eye-opener* right there…

*Double entendre intended.

(A SUPER THICK one at that.)

My self remembered that there were some semisweet (and fully delicious) heat-bleached chocolate chips buried in a box in my car.

don't judge a chip by its cover. um. color.

I had hopes, but I honestly didn’t think it was going to turn out this good: subtle coffee flavor in a semisweet chocolate cloud with a nice surprise of slightly sweeter chippy crunch.

But if the fact that I found myself scraping the edges of the tup-faux-ware container in which it was stored with the fridge door wide open in the late hours of the night and the wee hours of the morning is any indication, well–

–I’ll just leave it at that.

Mocha Chip (Vegan) Mousse

• 14-oz. package extra firm tofu
  • 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1/4 c. chocolate chips
  • 2 Tbsp. demerara or other brown sugar
  • 2 Tbsp. water or alterna-milk
  • smidge of stevia (optional)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. instant coffee granules (or 1 level Tbsp. grounds/powder)
  • 1 Tbsp. vanilla
  1. Combine all ingredients but chocolate chips in a food processor.
  2. Blend until smooth, adding more water or alterna-milk if a thinner consistency is desired.
  3. Add chocolate chips to food processor bowl. Pulse 20-30 times,* until chips are slightly chopped an evenly distributed.

*Watch out for BLASTS!

Note: When I refer to the coffee as granules, I am indicating a coarser grind. Some instant coffees are in powder form, so you will have to adjust the quantity of coffee depending on the grind.

granules. as opposed to grounds.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More August 5, 2013 at 7:10 am

You genius, you!! Let’s celebrate your successful move with a giant bowl of mousse, yes? :)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! August 5, 2013 at 8:31 am

Mmm this sounds so good. Nothing goes better than cocoa and coffee! LOVE baking with those two!

Kristina August 5, 2013 at 10:23 am

heat bleached made me laugh.

chocolate cloud will make me try this recipe.

happy travels, college girl!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table August 5, 2013 at 10:33 am

I love tofu dips… not sure why I haven’t made a dessert-y dip yet. Clearly this needs to happen. I think this would be a good plane snack for tomorrow…

Welcome to the Dirty South!

Lauren August 5, 2013 at 1:02 pm

I’m not sure why you haven’t either! Haha it’s a perfect mousse base. On the other hand…I haven’t used it as a savory base so thanks for the idea! :)

Lauren August 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm

This looks delightful Sarah! I will be making this in the near future! :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies August 5, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Yea, yea…calling out the cheating of this ingredient from one of the two infamous MMAZ rulebreakers. Bold! ;)

I am loving the sound of this mousse – and have some ideas on how to make it comp diet friendly, which is even better! Hoping you’ve arrived safely in the south!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables August 5, 2013 at 8:38 pm

YUM!! Obviously your move didn’t stifle your creativity! ;)

Tricia August 7, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Goodbye blog daughter :( Give me your address sometime as I never got your present to you! Bad blog mom – miss you already and never ever got to see you!

Meg @ A Dash of Meg August 12, 2013 at 8:30 am

ok so I LOVE TOFU MOUSSE! it was my OBSESSION last summer. omg omg omg omg! sarah! nice work! pinning this now and making it when i buy tofu lol

Kait September 2, 2013 at 9:23 pm

SHUT THE FRONT DOOR! How the heck does this taste exactly like real mousse?! Or has it been so long that I don’t remember so this is filling in the blanks with its velvety seduction?

You srsly just changed my life.

MMMMMUUUUUUUAAAAAAAHHHHH

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli September 29, 2013 at 2:50 am

OMG!!! I have all these ingredients! Just have to scale it down since I’ve been carving away at my little block of tofu I bought the other day…this IS happening!!