If all goes according to plan, as you are reading this, I have successfully made it to Alabama from Pennsylvania by way of Charlottesville, collecting my belongings as I go and officially moving to the Deep South. Only time (and Instagram?) will tell what happened along the way, as I expect a bit of
radio blog silence over the next week.
But I couldn’t leave y’all without a Meatless Mondays A-Z recipe, now could I?*
As soon as Heather made the announcement that I is for Instant Coffee
and I got over the ‘cheat’ factor of this one my brain started churning.
Stepmama Smart travels often, and has quickly learned the ways of the Smarts*, meaning: steal every free sample and single-serve food item that you can find.
And my self*–being not only highly creative but also very permissive to cravings on occasion–responded with “tofu” and “Abso-frickin’-lutely!”
*Not a typo.Fun with grammar.
And although really, I had hit upon an eye-opener* right there…
My self remembered that there were some semisweet (and fully delicious) heat-bleached chocolate chips buried in a box in my car.
But if the fact that I found myself scraping the edges of the tup-faux-ware container in which it was stored with the fridge door wide open in the late hours of the night
and the wee hours of the morning is any indication, well–
–I’ll just leave it at that.
Mocha Chip (Vegan) Mousse
- 14-oz. package extra firm tofu
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c. chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp. demerara or other brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp. water or alterna-milk
- smidge of stevia (optional)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. instant coffee granules (or 1 level Tbsp. grounds/powder)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- Combine all ingredients but chocolate chips in a food processor.
- Blend until smooth, adding more water or alterna-milk if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Add chocolate chips to food processor bowl. Pulse 20-30 times,* until chips are slightly chopped an evenly distributed.
*Watch out for BLASTS!
Note: When I refer to the coffee as granules, I am indicating a coarser grind. Some instant coffees are in powder form, so you will have to adjust the quantity of coffee depending on the grind.