What I (Slurped) Wednesday

by Sarah on July 24, 2013 · 13 comments

Although the Hearts of Palm and Roasted Corn Pico Salad Salsa whatever I made for this week’s Meatless Mondays A-Z challenge was fresh, light, and incredibly tasty, it definitely wasn’t coming with me to the Island of the Misfits-placed Wisdom Teeth.

Corn kernels and gaping holes in your mouth just don’t make a beautiful team.

But what DID I eat the day I had my wisdom teeth removed? I knew all y’all would all be curious to see just What I Ate Slurped Wednesday Thursday.

After my day of crunching–including my incredible just-before-midnightcereal, apple, and peanut butter “throw this in the face of dental surgeons everywhere”  snack–I entered a rather difficult period of fasting.

post-surgery not-too-cold coffee. no straw.

Luckily, I was knocked out or drugged up for a lot of it, but as the meds wore off, I wanted oatmeal…and applesauce.

Cooking as you are coming off of anesthesia is already quite dangerous  funny to imagine, but then insisting on photographing it, with a color popping background no less, is rather hilarious in concept. I did amazingly well. [And even remembered a dash of cinnamon would be so photogenic.]

focusing on the right part of the frame was a little difficult.

When you’ve got gauze wedged into your gums and cheeks, food is really not all that appealing, but because I had a rather miraculous and speedy recovery, I started to get antsy.

bloody mary mix somehow still was.

So, even though I didn’t want to eat much, it didn’t mean I couldn’t start prepping some grown-up baby food:

Nectarine Applesauce

and Brown Rice Puree.

Both of which–it was pointed out to me–are food creations I would eat even if  I still had all of my wisdom (teeth).*

Stepmama Smart’s South Beach Vegetarian Chili (shown above)came with me to Charlottesville, but it was not going to be able to continue on this journey…unless I stuck it into the food processor, too.

mixed with brown rice puree and melted vegan cheese

Dessert (second dinner?) was a tub of honey Chobani, mixed with cinnamon, wheat bran, and some of that nectarine applesauce I had made earlier in the day, topped off with almond ‘fluff’ from my last batch of almond milk.

I know many of you are thinking, Where’s the ice cream? Mashed potatoes? What’s going on here?”

Truly, I just didn’t WANT any of the passion fruit, raspberry, or lychee sorbetto I had purchased the day before.

(At least not until the next day at breakfast…or a few days later, when I started making sorbetto floats…)

But seriously, y’all, I never eat like anyone else WITH wisdom teeth…so would you expect anything to change without them? ;)

lindsay July 24, 2013 at 7:28 am

thank God for Zevia, Chobani, and anything you can puree! i have been there. feel better friend. Chubby cheeks are so in style. promise!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 24, 2013 at 8:53 am

Ugh getting my wisdom teeth out last year was the worst! I could hardly ‘sluuurp’ food without having some pain! LOL All 4 out at once with 14 shots of Novocain is NO FUN!

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut July 24, 2013 at 10:17 am

I saw the title of this and was worried you tried to use a straw ha! That was the scariest thing about getting my teeth out…all of the rules so that I wouldn’t get dry sockets! I am pretty sure I took a few days off of school too..at the sheer embarrassment of my puffy face!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness July 24, 2013 at 11:57 am

Oh no, having dental work done is never any fun! I’m glad you are having a quick recovery and able to eat foods, although they are mushy foods. I hope your mouth feels 100% soon!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 24, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Ummmm… I’ll eat your ice cream! I’m a good friend like that. ;)

Casey @ Salted Plates July 24, 2013 at 1:48 pm

hope your teeth are feeling better but in this weather I’ve only felt like drinking my food too!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables July 24, 2013 at 2:51 pm

I hope you’re doing well, and back to solid food soon!!

Danica @ It's Progression July 24, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I hope that when I have to get my wisdom teeth out, I’m even half as creative as you when it comes to what I eat. I don’t know how you come up with this stuff but I love that you do :)

Lauren @ Sweat The Sweet Stuff July 24, 2013 at 5:50 pm

Lol brown rice puree. How was that? I actually have to get mine out soon too. Glad to know I’m not the only adult who still has to do this! Glad to see I can still have coffee and oatmeal though! :)

Brittany @ Freckled Nettles July 24, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Wishing you a speedy recovery, Sarah!! Those eats don’t look too bad after all. Thank goodness for food processors!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 24, 2013 at 8:39 pm

I must admit that I was kind of wondering where the ice cream was ;) . But, at least you got VERY creative with your food choices. Props to you on that. I probably would have only eaten mashed potatoes and ice cream ;) .

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables July 24, 2013 at 8:54 pm

You did great on your eats!! When I’ve had anesthesia, I don’t wake up for the rest of the day. I don’t think I ate anything but mashed potatoes that my mom force fed me when I had mine out. I just slept and took pain meds. You are a rockstar my love!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli July 31, 2013 at 11:32 pm

Oh my god, now I want a sorbetto float!!

And way to go on photographing your eats…when I was doped up just after my knee surgery, that was the LAST thing on my mind! The first thing was how much I hate pain medicine and what they do to my sensitive tummy! :( If I had had a sorbetto float, I’m sure I would have been MUCH better off! ;)