Vegan Low Country Boil [#MMAZ]

by Sarah on July 29, 2013 · 9 comments

Some foods just shouldn’t be made vegan.

[Or vegetarian for that matter.]

It doesn’t mean they won’t taste good.

Or that it won’t be a rather exciting adventure to combine a whole mess of spices…

…to create a Low Country Boil broth in the vein of a both a Carolina  and Cajun  tradition.

You can’t have a “boil” without corn and red potatoes.

(But you might need to try more than one knife to cut the cobs.)

The addition of artichoke hearts will prove to be somewhat of a revelation.*

*First suggested years ago while working at Central Market in Austin but–until now–yet to be attempted.

Each layer of the ‘chokes* soaking up flavor as they simmer.

*Did I just make up that slang?

(So, too, the potatoes, reminding you how tasty taters can truly be.)

But the fact of the matter is this:

No matter how much the texture of hearts of palm might remind you of shrimp, or crawfish…

–and even if you serve this dish the right way, on newspaper–A crawfish boil needs crawfish.

But it sure was fun to experiment without.

——————————

I can knock it because I tried it, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t also.

Or you can try another of the many tasty twists using Hearts of Palm this week for Heather‘s Meatless Mondays A-Z challenge.

Kristina July 29, 2013 at 10:06 am

you tried it, and I am impressed!

we go to a BIG OL’ authentic crawdaddy boil every year, and they would look at me like I had snappers for hands if I suggested this, but if you don’t eat meat and “really” wanted the “experience?” this is a good idea!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance July 29, 2013 at 10:28 am

I agree!! You have to have the seafood!! I’m biased though because seafood is my FAVORITE! :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table July 29, 2013 at 10:57 am

LMAO! I totally agree. Pulled pork also cannot be recreated. Love the vegan versions, but it’s never the exact same. :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 29, 2013 at 11:43 am

I made BBQ tofu sandwiches and they are pretty darn tasty! ;)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 29, 2013 at 11:42 am

LOVE this, especially since it involves artichokes!! Seriously, anything can be made vegan, I swear! ;)

meri July 29, 2013 at 11:56 am

Hearts of Palm are one of my favorite things, oddly enough, so this week should be awesome for me to jump around the blogosphere! I love your silly spin that you give your blog though :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies July 29, 2013 at 2:35 pm

Not every experiment goes as planned, but I love that you tried! I actually a shrimp boil recipe that I’ve been debating posting for a while…bringing fish/seafood recipes to the blog has been an internal discussion in my head for months. I’m tipping closer to just doing it recently – what do you think?

Sarah July 30, 2013 at 1:08 pm

I have posted one non-vegan recipe since I started eating eggs and fish regularly. To be honest, I didn’t even think about it until afterwards. My natural tendency is still to cook vegan, but I’ve been looking back through my archives and I have a few fish recipes I would love to revamp, or even use to do a Friday Flashback. All that being said, I think you should post what you’re eating and making, regardless of what dietary label it may or may not fit under–and not just because I want to see what y’all can come up with! Don’t withhold something just because of a label that no longer truly fits.

P.S. I’m planning on making my post tomorrow a WIAW featuring all of the fishy meals I’ve been eating. :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies July 30, 2013 at 2:07 pm

You just explained what I was thinking, so I think my blog is going to get a pescatarian recipe update soon. :) Thanks friend!