(Baked) Vegan Pimiento ‘Goat’ Cheese

by Sarah on July 30, 2013 · 10 comments

Yesterday I said that some things just shouldn’t be made vegan.

But then, there are some foods that won’t get (too) lost in  the vegan translation.

and some foods that react to the oven like it is a tanning bed.

Soaking cashews is always a sign that culinary fun is ahead.

And, sure, the result of mixing those cashews with tofu, vinegar, and lemon juice (and olive oil, if you are so inclined)…

…will never truly taste like goat cheese.

But for ‘faux’-t cheese, we already know:

It ain’t half bad.

And after sampling some Pimiento Goat Cheese made by Caramont Farm at the Charlottesville City Market one Saturday morning–

–I knew it was only a matter of time before I tried to combine earlier success with new inspiration.

and i learned that the rubber band trick for opening jars really does work.

Let me tell y’all right now:

This stuff is good.

I lacked the Wheat Thins with which I generally prefer to consume excessive amounts of mayo-heavypimiento cheese.

MORE PEPPER!

But I have always been partial to pairing with apples.

Vegan Pimiento ‘Goat’ Cheese

• 1 c. raw cashews, soaked for 3-4 hours and drained
  • 3 oz. extra firm tofu
  • 1/3 c. water
  • 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
  • 1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1/2 Tbsp. olive oil
  • 4 oz. jar of diced pimientos, drained
  • salt + pepper (to taste)
  1. Combine all ingredients, except pimientos, in a food processor.
  2. Process until smooth.
  3. Add pimientos and pulse 15-20 times.
  4. Season as desired.

Note: The cheese mixture will thicken as it chills in the fridge.

—————————————

But why stop there?

Why not try to bring even MORE of the South into the kitchen?

(Because when it comes to Southern food, more is more.)

And as I’ve shown y’all before

baking vegan goat cheese leads to puffy cashew-based clouds.

[That taste astonishingly like 'real' pimiento cheese.]

Can I get an: “Oh. My. Goll.–

–Y’all.”?

Grits-Encrusted Baked Vegan Pimiento ‘Goat’ Cheese

• grits
  • salt, pepper, dill (to taste)
  • vegan pimiento ‘goat’ cheese
  1. Combine grits and seasonings in a bowl.
  2. Drop chilled ‘goat’ cheese into the bowl (about 2-3 Tbsp. at a time).
  3. Scoop grits over top and pat into a ‘cake.’
  4. Place on a cooking sprayed baking sheet.
  5. Bake for 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees.

turning only if desired.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More July 30, 2013 at 8:26 am

I’m intrigued….very intrigued….

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! July 30, 2013 at 8:27 am

Love all the recipes you’ve been posting lately!

PS: Sending you an email right now about your paper! :)

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut July 30, 2013 at 9:38 am

Wowwwww. How the heck do you come up with this stuff??

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 30, 2013 at 10:27 am

I really cannot wait to try this! Can you believe that I have actually never tried the whole “using soaked cashews” to make “cheese” thing? I know…so silly of me!

How much does this recipe make?

Sarah July 30, 2013 at 1:04 pm

Don’t worry about soaking cashews for faux cheese. It took me forever to do it, too! Once you get going, though, it is hard to stop. :)

I haven’t done officially measurements of yield, but I believe it is about 2 cups. [I always eat a bunch when I'm making it, so it's hard to tell...]

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl July 30, 2013 at 1:09 pm

I know how that goes! ;) 2 cups sounds like a good amount! I cannot wait to try it.

Emily July 30, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Your creativity is mind blowing!!!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 1, 2013 at 12:50 am

After hearing Allie gush about the local pimento cheese at our downtown farmers’ market, I just HAD to pick some up last week…I brought it home, ripped open a bag of crackers (sadly, not of the Wheat Thin variety), took a dip, annnnnd realized that I don’t like pimento cheese! Ha! I never had it growing up and could have sworn I’d tried it at least once as an adult, but I guess not! I had no idea those tiny little peppers could pack such a spicy punch! And yes, I’m a weenie!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli August 1, 2013 at 12:52 am

Baaaaaaa-ut! I meant to say, that doesn’t mean I can’t bake me up some grit encrusted pimento-less “goat” cheese! :D