Super Thick Vegan Overnight Oats

by Sarah on June 30, 2013 · 9 comments

So once I figured out how great psyllium husk was for thickening, I started to think about what else I could do with it.

[Aside from a tablespoon in the morning and a tablespoon at night* on the--um--regular.]

*For y’all who were wondering, two tablespoons is a standard serving…just make sure you are drinking lots of water, too.

With my breakfast cooking class at Whole Foods approaching, I knew this was a good time to experiment.

(Some teachers take the “never cook a new dish for a dinner party”approach to lessons. I prefer a Julia Child-like approach to culinary adventures.)

and i like to make a mess while doing it.

With the burgeoning humidity making hot breakfasts less appealing, and the fact that I wanted to geek out with muesli–I turned to an old favorite.

Chia seeds are so commonly used for vegan overnight oats…but chia puddings never work for me I don’t like them all that much.

So what about psyllium?

Turns out, psyllium and chia, with the combination of instant and regular oats, plus a generous helping of banana, all covered up with almond milk (homemade or not)…

doesn’t even require a night in the fridge* to become super thick and delicious.

*These oats can just pop over for a spot of tea rather than a sleepover.

And when I say super thick, I mean SUPER thick.

As in: you might want to go ahead and add more than the suggested amount of almond milk.

[And you STILL might want to stir some more in in the morning.]

Because the psyllium not only works its magic almost instantly, it also seems to double triple quintuple (?) in size.

Thick, creamy, voluminous?

What’s NOT to love about a happy fiber baby for breakfast?

Single-Serve Super Thick Vegan Overnight Oats

• 1/2 c. oats*
  • 3/4 c. alterna-milk (plus more in the morning)
  • 1/2 Tbsp. chia seeds
  • 1/2 Tbsp. psyllium husk
  • 1/2 banana, chopped or mashed
  • 1/4 tsp. vanilla
  • cinnamon
*I like half old-fashioned and half instant.
  1. Combine all ingredients, stirring VERY well.
  2. Store in the fridge for a few hours, or overnight.
  3. In the morning, remove from the fridge, stir, then add extra almond milk and/or desired toppings.

random picture of cutting bananas for the largest batch of overnight oats i've ever made.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes June 30, 2013 at 7:14 am

Overnight Oats are so underrated. I love them in the summer to get my oaty fix.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More June 30, 2013 at 8:38 am

I’ve never even heard of Psyllium?! But i’m intrigued…

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl June 30, 2013 at 9:40 am

I’ve heard of Psyllium, but never tried it. I typically use Greek yogurt and chia seeds, but I’m really wanting to get away from using yogurt, as I don’t think it’s great on my tummy. I can’t wait to give this a try….Psyllium is gong on the grocery list!

Brittany @ Freckled Nettles June 30, 2013 at 1:34 pm

Thick oats are the key to my heart. I honestly love waking up every morning to breakfast! I, however, have never tried psylllium husk. I’m thinking about purchasing it sometime soon. Great recipe, overall! I hope you had a lovely weekend, Sarah!

Danica @ It's Progression June 30, 2013 at 3:00 pm

Overnight oats are probably my favorite breakfast…I’ve heard a lot about psyllium husk lately though but haven’t tried it yet. I’m tempted to get some now *just* for thicker oats if nothing else :)

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets June 30, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Who doesn’t like a fiber baby for breakfast?!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables June 30, 2013 at 9:04 pm

I have never done overnight oats! I really want to try psyllium husks now…

Ashley @ Freckles & Spice July 1, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I use psyllium in smoothies all time – that powder does crazy things! In overnight oats is brillant!! Thanks

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist August 4, 2013 at 7:31 pm

Ok I bought some Psyllium just to play with it! I knew you’d been using it lately, so I’m excited to jump in there with ya! Remember FOREVER ago if I asked if you put psyllium in your pancake batter, and you’d said no? Well have you attempted it yet? Just curious :)