Team Psyllium (Silly? Yum!)

by Sarah on June 28, 2013 · 9 comments

When I say ‘silly,’ you say ‘yum’!

Silly? YUM!

Silly? YUM!

Let’s get ready to rumble for fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiber!!!!!

For the past few months, there has been a secret agent sneaking around my (almost) nightly yogurt bowls.

Yes, this member of the Colon Improvement Agency has added its intriguing consistency and special digestive talents to my diet on very–ahem–regular occasions.

What the intestine is psyllium, you ask?

Psyllium husk, my dear friends fans, is pure soluble fiber. While oatmeal and other grains get lots of field time for their insoluble tenacity, and ability to stay in your gut and keep you full, psyllium works its way quickly down the field…but it takes a lot of players with him.

If you know what I mean.

But even more important than the improvement in my system I’ve noticed in adding a tablespoon to breakfast and bedtime snack, is how much FUN it is to play with.

bananas, psyllium, cinnamon, chocolate protein powder, and MORE FIBER (one)

You see, psyllium husk absorbs water (or other liquids) like you wouldn’t believe–ten times it’s own body weight measurement.

It’s like a freakin’ fiber camel in your colon.*

*Does that even make sense?

Although I have many fun ideas about how this immediate thickening and absorption technique could play out on my culinary football field—

(Seriously, this all happened less than 30 seconds after adding some homemade almond milk.)

I had been sticking (not a very good pun intended) pretty exclusively to either spiking it with cinnamon in the bottom of my bowl or mixing it with protein powder, almond milk, kefir, and the occasional banana, as a base for a strangely delicious cereal snack.

Until I had a stroke of vegan-spired genius.

Why not use these thickening powers for good, instead of…um….good enough?

But more on that later. I’m all cheered out for now.*

*And am totally supposed to be reading for school. Oops.

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! June 28, 2013 at 11:48 am

I just discovered how much I love psyllium husk too! I’ve been using it for all sorts of baking endeavors!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert June 28, 2013 at 12:26 pm

This is a classic Sarah post! Love it!

sarah June 28, 2013 at 1:29 pm

just a quick note – it’s important to not take in TOO much psyllium. as you mentioned, psyllium husk absorbs a TON of water, which means it can suck up a ton of water from your colon, removing *ahem* lubrication and making it a bit (or a lot) more difficult for waste to pass through. psyllim is one thing that you can quickly get TOO much of, especially if someone isn’t used to eating it.

other than that, and in moderation, yay psyllium!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table June 28, 2013 at 2:42 pm

I’ve been resisting buying it because I have a pantry full of stuff (seriously – I need an intervention), but I can’t resist a fiber camel in my colon.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl June 28, 2013 at 6:28 pm

You always introduce me to all kinds of new products!! Thanks for sharing :) .

Maria June 28, 2013 at 10:19 pm

” works its way quickly down the field…but it takes a lot of players with him.”

Best line of your blog ever.

I have some of this in the back of my cabinet now. But I do prefer lemonish sand over it.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance June 29, 2013 at 6:08 pm

I’ve heard of this, but haven’t tried it yet myself. Pretty tasteless? I wonder how much is too much (noticing the other comment). Hmmm . . . .

Heather @ Better With Veggies June 30, 2013 at 5:51 am

I’ve never tried it, so it’s a thickener that’s packed with fiber? Very interesting. You’ll need to share that vegan recipe so I know what I should do with it a bit more. :)

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets June 30, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Yum! You say Silly. I say Yum. Let me clear my throat.
Very funny post indeed, fraught with puniclious phrasing, I’m sure to be a (ph)an.