Pineapple Express [#WIAW]

by Sarah on May 8, 2013 · 23 comments

Disclaimer: The title of this post may have stoner movie pop cultural connotations, but as I learned–in attempting to disassociate myself with it--it is also a meteorological term for a Hawaiian ‘atmospheric river’ [slash] southern branch of the polar jetstream.

————————

When you walk into Kroger and see this:

You obviously walk out of there with three.*

*After mentally reviewing your knowledge of seasonal produce in Costa Rica.

As I mentioned yesterday, Jenn, I’ve been eating a lot of pineapple.

Similar to the blueberry blitz of mid-Januaryparts one and two

–I found something super sweet and super cheap and latched on to it.

Unlike the blueberry bonanza, however, this time most of the fabulous fruit was consumed straight from the tup-faux-ware, fridge door open, with frantic urgency.

Occasionally I would try to make a fruit salad, but the ‘one in the bowl, three in the mouth pattern of chunking fruit often rendered this futile.

I was able to get it into a yogurt bowl

cereal, berries + pineapple on kroger brand goat + cow's milk greek yogurt w. peach jelly

or cup?

manager's special siggis w. crumbled rice cakes, wasa, tons of cinnamon, berries, pineapple

I learned that pineapple pairs strangely well with hummus.

of course, what doesn't taste great with the supersized tub of sabra tuscan herb hummus from costco?

And, perhaps more normally obviously, carob powder (and cornflakes).

It also loves to get dressed up.

chocolate raspberry plantfusion proats w. pineapple, crispin apple, cinnamon

A pineapple party? Bring on the sprinkles!

sprinkles make for funfetti oatmeal.

We all know pineapple is life-changing when great grilled, so why not stir it up in a pan with leftover Coconut Mojito Coleslaw and peppers?

Mixing it up in a Mexican bulgur bowl with a sunny runny egg on top?

Well, that’s how you learn that there isn’t much that doesn’t get better covered in yolk.

When fresh pineapple ran out, I could still get my fix.

Chobani pineapple yogurt really does #tastereal. [And has become one of my favorite flavors.]

wasa, berries, carob, with pineapple cho-yumminess

But never fear. I went back to Kroger before the sale was over.

And I bought three more precious pricklies. :)

Kristina May 8, 2013 at 1:06 am

you are FAR more creative than I when it comes to pineapple – I have just been cutting them up and eating them… the whole thing… in one sitting…

actually starting to wonder if one can eat TOO MUCH pineapple?

I am going to try the hummus, though – because like you, I always have that Costco hummus tub around…

Sarah May 8, 2013 at 6:14 am

Oh wait. You mean I forgot to mention that one of the three pineapples was consumed within about 30 minutes one evening?

When I was in Costa Rica, I was pretty sure that I ate so much pineapple, fronds were going to begin growing out of my head. I was OK. I think you will be, too.

Jemma @ Celery and Cupcakes May 8, 2013 at 1:37 am

I love pineapple it always reminds me of more exotic surroundings than rainy old England.

Maria May 8, 2013 at 1:55 am

You know I’m much on wine and stuff (I’d rather sip a Diet Coke), but I had pineapple wine in Hawaii and it was pretty much the greatest thing ever. After one glass, I fell asleep on the tour bus.

Also, Chobani pineapple is my favorite and then I add coconut and it’s para-para-paradise.

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers May 8, 2013 at 6:23 am

Heck yeah, I’d latch on to the super sweet and super cheap too. Yum!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 8, 2013 at 7:01 am

How could you not be loving pineapple when it’s that cheap! I have never thought of combining it with runny egg yolk or humus before.

Jan @ Sprouts n Squats May 8, 2013 at 7:12 am

Yum I love pineapple and think it can be added to so many things. I love it on pizza, in sandwiches and really with anything. Never tried it with hummus but now I’m going to :)

Fran@BCDC May 8, 2013 at 7:22 am

Love, Love, LOVE pineapple! You made my day, Sarah!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 8, 2013 at 8:11 am

I’ve been eating pineapple and strawberries like a boss. Spring food makes me happy. Now if it would just stay WARM!

Jessie May 8, 2013 at 8:41 am

I’ve never seen so many creative ways to use pineapples.. I mean pineapple & hummus? Who would’ve thought that combo would taste good. :)

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

i LOVE pineapple! Just be careful not to eat too much at once or the roof of your mouth won’t like you for awhile… ;)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 8, 2013 at 9:32 am

Pineapple is one of my favorites!! I actually eat the core. Maybe a little weird, but I think it’s delicious. Plus, it’s where most of the bromelain is found (helps with inflammation).

Kaitlin May 8, 2013 at 11:54 am

OH I love how you used so much pineapple! I’ve been using it in smoothies with coconut water. :) Absolutely my fav!

Laura@ Fit Running Mama May 8, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I love pineapple and what a steal!! My favorite way to eat is is grilled!!! YUMMO!!! Love some of the ways you ate it!! great ideas!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist May 8, 2013 at 1:16 pm

Pineapple addict right here!

kate@kate marrin life + style May 8, 2013 at 1:58 pm

Love, love, love pineapple, and even more so when it’s on major sale like that. I freeze it for “pina colada” protein shakes and even better, grill it and put it on top of vanilla ice cream! GREAT pineapple post!!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 8, 2013 at 2:27 pm

Fresh pineapple is amaaazing! Now if only I would quit being so lazy and actually buy a whole one and cut it up myself. The pre-cut kind is SO expensive!!

Allie May 8, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Cut in cubes, eat straight from fridge is my favorite pineapple method too…Recipes are great and all, but direct plastic container to mouth shovel-age? Hard to beat.

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life May 8, 2013 at 7:57 pm

So many delicious pineapple ideas! I used to work at Edible Arrangements and was sent home with loads of leftover pineapple pieces…so much fun! I love that stuff. :-)

Lauren May 9, 2013 at 12:16 am

I just started liking pineapple last year! Can you believe it? I’d just never really had it fresh. I just bought a corer today. I wonder if it’ll work good?

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 9, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Hahaha! I can definitely do some damage when it comes to pineapple! I totally missed that sale at Kroger, but really now that I think about it, the last one I bought (since it was consumed in like 24 hours) ended up making the roof of my mouth scream for mercy! :( Though now you’ve got me curious about the pineapple with runny yolk thing! Hmmm….

I still can’t get over the fact that your Kroger sells Siggi’s! I can only find it at Whole Foods! And I’m still crying that my SAM’s club stopped selling the Tuscan herb hummus! Can I just come move in with you? I’d gladly sacrifice myself and become an official Nutty Butter taste tester! Cinnamon Bun/Nut me!! <- Hmm, that sounded bad! Lol

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 9, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I love pineapple in a stir fry!! I wish our kroger had them for 99 cents!! Jealous!

Meghan@Clean Eats Fast Feets May 10, 2013 at 3:34 pm

I fully support your pineapple-aholic-ness, even when your entire mouth burns with the sour and sweet tang of consuming an entire pineapple in one sitting…not that I would know anything about that. Also, if you ever need someone to pull you out of the pineapple gutter the morning after, I’d be happy to do it.