My Moving Memorial Day Weekend [WIAW]

by Sarah on May 29, 2013 · 17 comments

Three day weekends. Love them.

Especially when I have to spend all three days packing.

This is how I felt by day three.

At least the fact that I’m just switching to a temporary abode means I don’t have to completely eat up everything in my fridge and pantry–although we all know now that I just bring leftovers with me anyway–so I haven’t been consuming too terribly random and weird concoctions. [No more so than usual, at least.]

There have been a lot of big friendly salads. With entire jumbo-sized garlic barrel pickles chopped up on top. But that’s not weird, is it?When you’re packing and moving, most of your food consumption involves sudden realizations that you are so hungry the thought of lifting another book–let alone an entire box full of them--makes you want to actually EAT the book you are holding.

who has time to peel carrots? not that i would anyway. even if i COULD find the veggie peeler.

This is followed by attacking whatever (actually edible) food crosses your path first.

apples and hummus are an entirely underrated duo

Because for me, this has meant melon of all sorts–watermelon, honeydew, cantaloupe…I’ve almost consumed one (or two…) of each since Friday–I don’t necessarily have a lot of pictures.

However, I did stop packing every now and then to take a few photos, so I figured I might as well share them for once, rather than leave them on my computer where I stumble back upon them months later and wonder both what it actually was, and why I intended to show it to someone. And what better time than Wednesday, with you, Jenn, and all the little carrots and markers who play along?

who looks that happy when they are moving?

Just as I didn’t stop buying food, ‘moving mode’ didn’t stop me from cooking either.

eggplant and summer squash quinoa cakes w. roasted tomatoes and spinach

Between my attempts at maintaining status as a Meatless Mondays A-Z Rock Star, a guest post for Heather herself, inspiration from the farmers’ market, and the fact that I had food to use in the fridge…

mojito mint avocado dip w. strawberries + apricots

…well, I kept the creativity alive.

tempeh and eggplant bulgogi turned bibimbap

Of course, I also reverted to consuming lots of cereal.

sometimes with strawberries and almond milk

LOTS of cereal.

sometimes with applesauce, almond milk, and hemp protein

And as I decided opening a two pound bag of Bob’s Red Mill muesli right before starting to box up the pantry…

…I’ve been eating a lot of that as well.

cooked muesli + oat combo with cold muesli + berries

(Although technically, muesli IS a ‘cereal’ isn’t it?)

cereal, goat's milk and greek yogurts, muesli

Sometimes it ends up cooked, or sprinkled, but I actually ate a bunch of it by the fingerful as I walked through the kitchen. [Laura assures me consuming raw oats might be strange, but it is definitely good.]

oats with plant fusion phood 'goop,' muesli, cherries

I also took a number of nose dives into many jars of nut butter.

cinnamon brown sugar, honey vanilla, and simply roasted hazelnut butters

Moving seems like a great excuse for throwing random nuts into a food processor and seeing what happens.

in case you're curious, walnut pecan almond butter is REALLY REALLY good

Not that you need an excuse.

especially when making the fabulous decision to add the last bit of a bag of dark chocolate chips to cinnamon honey roasted peanut butter

Sometimes I actually utilized said nut butter in creating a tasty snack.

toasted ezekiel bread w. walnut pecan almond butter + cinnamon sprinkled smushed apricot

Or took the classy route and actually didnt eat it straight up with a spoon.

MORE cereal. MORE berries. MORE nut butter.

But that didn’t happen too often.

this looks like a frog.

Actually, in looking back over these photos, I managed to eat a pretty balanced–if three times as much melon and nut butter as anything else counts as balanced–diet despite it coming mostly from scoops and snacks, bits and bites.

I even saved room for dessert. (Recipe here!)

strawberry rhubarb yogurt cake made by Lindsey: for some reason when i arrived to store even MORE things at her house, she gave ME a present

Maria May 29, 2013 at 1:22 am

I love the moving adaption of the WIAW logo. She just looks so darn happy to be pushing around that dolly in her lime green one piece track suit. I imagine you are like this, except your dolly would be heading to Costco instead of moving truck.

Good gosh, I need sleep. It’s been a long day.

Fran@BCDC May 29, 2013 at 6:49 am

I think hummus is good combined with almost anything!! Good luck with your move, Sarah!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 29, 2013 at 8:00 am

Ahhh your tempeh and eggplant dish looks fabulous. I’ve been meaning to try my hand at making tempeh, but it just keeps on staring back at me every time I open the fridge…

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life May 29, 2013 at 10:30 am

Wow, so many good looking eats! I’ve never thought to try apples and hummus together, but I’m definitely going to now. Good luck with the move!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 29, 2013 at 11:08 am

Good luck with all that packing! I never peel my carrots . . . is that bad? I make sure to clean them, but I’m too lazy to peel. And I’ve heard that’s where a plethora of the nutrients are located anyways. :)

Danica @ It's Progression May 29, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Okay, I’ve heard of muesli eeeeverywhere (aka all over the blog world ; ) for so long now. I’m thinking I NEED to try some asap.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 29, 2013 at 2:19 pm

For being busy with moving, you sure ate some GOOD food!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 29, 2013 at 2:34 pm

Looooove hummus and apples! And raw oats. I have become unable to walk past the pantry without scooping a handful. I need so many interventions…

Janetha - meals & moves May 29, 2013 at 3:31 pm

ahh! moving sucks. at least you ate well!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables May 29, 2013 at 4:21 pm

Hmmm , I don’t know how I feel about apples and hummus partly because I just LOVE apples and peanut butter. ;)

I hope the packing and moving and transition is going well, my dear!

Megan@eatmybeets May 29, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Per usual, your eats look delicious. I’ve been catching up with your blog on my feedly. Congrats on grad school! It’s awesome that you’re headed down that path. That’s something that I feel drawn to as well – but from a social work angle (mostly since that’s what I’m studying).
Love the nut combination. I’ve been mostly making single variety nut butters, but I’m hoping to change things up soon ;-)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 30, 2013 at 7:23 am

Omg, I can’t stop eating my Muesli Fusion muesli straight from the bag! Funny, before Blend, I’d never even tried it before….yeah, I know, you sent me a pack of Bob’s a lonnnnnnnnnng time ago and I “saved” (read: hoarded) it for a special occasion! Lol

I can’t wait to see more of that eggplant bulgogi! I’m always looking for new ways to use eggplant and seriously, bulgogi is like the best thing ever…ok, not really…nut butter, cold roasted veggies, and MUESLI are all in the running for that! ;)

Sidenote: I find it amusing that I felt like I read this post before I actually did since I got all caught up on your IG feed last night…? the other other night? (I’m confused…I need to sleep) before work! Haha!

char eats greens May 30, 2013 at 10:01 am

I never peel carrots…is that bad? haha

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 31, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Seriously… come move in with me. I want your food! :) quinoa eggplant cakes… I mean really? YUM! emailing you back friend!

Jess @ Keepingitrealfood June 1, 2013 at 7:05 am

Gotta love random clean-out-the-pantry concoctions. Moving last year was how I found out I love oats with lots of veggies and poached egg on top.