Dr. Smart, I Presume?

by Sarah on May 10, 2013 · 22 comments

Happy Friday! Thank y’all SO much for all of your positive, encouraging comments on my last post. Especially the letter of recommendation from Kristina. [If only I'd had that before...:)]

Yes, Lindsay, that was my actual letter of intent, written for my application to the PhD in Health Education and Promotion program at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa, where I will move in August to begin study as a Graduate Council Fellow in the College of Human Environmental Sciences.

To paraphrase The Godfather (a movie I’ve–gasp!–never actually seen): they made me an offer I couldn’t refuse.

My Spring Break trip to Alabama might have seemed random, considering I never mentioned a friend or family member I was visiting, but just spent a lot of time talking about visiting grocery stores and snacking from the breakfast bar.But, as now is obvious, I was down there on a recruitment visit, meeting with every dean and professor I could, as well as many girls who are in the years ahead of me in the program. As someone who took her inner cowgirl and  moved across the country before, based simply on a feeling, it should come as no surprise that once I found myself on campus, talking about potential topics of study, my interests, and the experiences that had led me to that point, well, I knew this was where I was headed.

I even brought home a T-shirt.* And you know you only REALLY wanted T-shirts from the schools you hoped to get into.

*I am aware as a grad student it’s ‘not cool’ to wear memorabilia from your school. But I will always be an undergrad coed sorority girl inside, and I will have to restrain myself from starting to buy every elephant–excuse me, pachyderm– figurine I see.

that they refer to the mascot as the pachyderm makes my inner nerd happy

So, how am I feeling about this whole ‘I have become a career flight risk because I have yet to stay in one place longer than 18 months and have had a different job every year since college…and I’m moving on again’ situation?

Excited about immersing myself back in school, learning, and sharing knowledge.

Overwhelmed with what the next few months will bring.

Nervous about ‘going it alone.’

Certain that this is where I’m meant to be.

Filled with hope and possibility. [Is that a feeling?]

Happy that I look good in crimson. ;)

What will happen to the blog?

As the days and weeks move forward, I am eager to see how life–and the blog–change and take shape. I know after I moved to Austin initially, the blog became more about daily life and random-osity. I have no idea how much time I will have to write, or what I will be called to write about, but as social media as it relates to health education and promotion issues is a huge part of what I hope to be studying…it is safe to say that The Smart Kitchen will be around for while.

What about Nutty Butter?

[AKA: What y'all REALLY care about]

The radio silence as regards May flavors hopefully gave you a hint that I am definitely not going to be producing and distributing this month. Considering that I have to move out of my cottage by the 31st--the same weekend I will be in Wisconsin for my grandfather’s memorial service, meaning the weekend before (Memorial Day) will be spent storing my stuff somewhere–at which time I will be semi-homeless, plus a weekend away at Blend, the beginning of state testing, and trying to get a handle on life in general…well, that’s just not happening.

the five jars of birthday cake for the blend retreat raffle are the last of the official nutty butter for awhile...

As for the future, I will be getting a PhD. I will be very busy. Nutty Butter, LLC. is also incorporated in the fine state of Virginia. I am planning on maintaining my LLC registration, but am unsure about the time and logistics of reincorporating in Alabama, finding a commercial kitchen, etc. Also, the fact that I am essentially going to be ‘earning’ 1/4 of my current salary–and I have never turned a profit with Nutty Butter as it is–doesn’t bode well for the immediate future.

Cookbook? Private production for my beloved friends and neighbors? If any of you know someone who wants to publish me, let me know. Otherwise, we’ll just have to play it by ear. [Or you can invite me to come visit you...because I always try to bring it for hostess presents.]

Well, I guess for now, all that’s left to say is…

Roll Tide!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 10, 2013 at 10:07 am

You know its official when oyu have the t-shirt!!! :)

Congratulations again. Don’t worry – it will ALL get done. It always does. Let me know if you need anything – I’m not far from ‘Bama!!!!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean May 10, 2013 at 10:23 am

congrats girl!

Danica @ It's Progression May 10, 2013 at 11:53 am

Still just so excited for you!
And I’m glad this blog will still be around for a while :)

Kristina May 10, 2013 at 12:58 pm

Roll Tide. I will come visit, absolutely.

I am so very excited for you, but also still reeling from the fact that you have not seen The Godfather. seems some other kind of education is in order, yes? :)

I want a pachyderm shirt!!

and if you ever need a REAL reference… you know where to find me!

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! May 10, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Congratulations Sarah! What an exciting endeavor! I have no doubt that you will succeed in this area and be able to share your enthusiasm and passion for health with a wide variety of people! Can’t wait to hear more about your new adventures!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 10, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Wow–so many things to think about, but it is all so exciting! What an amazing time for you. And what struck me most was the statement: “Certain that this is where I’m meant to be.” Right there, that speaks volumes.

P.S. Crimson is my favorite color!! :)

Miss Polkadot May 10, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Due to my [largely] unplugged state of the past days I have yet to say it: Congratulations, Sarah! I’m doing a major happy dance for you and this exciting, somehow scary but mostly aweome new chapter in your life that’s about to start.
And remember: you’re not “going it [all] alone” – your family and your crazy-but-mostly-nice ;) blogger “family” will be there for you in every situation, too. I’m fully convinced you’re doing the right thing and SO proud of you!
Crimson looks fantastic on you! Can we expect a crimson “What I ate while packing for my move to Alabama Wednesday” in the future :) ?

Maria May 10, 2013 at 4:33 pm

You DO look good in crimson. And I think you need to be the grad student that brings back school spirit to grad schools.

Allie May 10, 2013 at 5:29 pm

You totally have an invitation to come visit–with OR without nutty butter (although of course I can tell you which of those options I’d prefer ;D ). And I graduated years ago and still rock my alma mater gear, so go you and your t-shirts. STILL SO EXCITED. Even if, as an avid Tennessee football fan, I cannot and will not second your call to roll tide.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist May 10, 2013 at 6:13 pm

Go girl!! Chase those dreams! SO SO SO SO SO SO SO proud of you!!!

Heather @ Better With Veggies May 10, 2013 at 6:37 pm

As a dedicated Georgia Bulldog, I kindly left my comments on Alabama out of yesterday’s post & will do the same today. :) Regardless of the off-color of red you selected, I still couldn’t be prouder of you!!

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily May 10, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Congratulations!!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 10, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Ok, so I don’t know if I’m just extra hormonal for some reason today or what, but I’m so freaking proud of you right now that I’m almost to tears!! Everything will work out in the end. I know it will. Good things happen to good people and you are one of the best! I think you were lucky to change jobs so much in the last few years…you really got a good sense of everything in your career and realized what it was that you truly wanted to do. I’ve been at the hospital for over five years now and just recently started to realize that I may have made a mistake. I’m not happy with what I’m doing but I have no idea what I would want to do instead…besides stay home and take pictures of my food! ;) Like I said…you’re lucky.

Love you and can’t wait to see you innnnnnnnnn less than a WEEK!!! Woo hoo!!

Jane | Not Plain So Jane May 10, 2013 at 10:18 pm

Wait, I missed yesterday’s post! You are ahead of the bandwagon. Go & change how health information is distributed and make a difference! That is so exciting. Congrats!

sarah @ sarah learns May 10, 2013 at 11:14 pm

i’ve got to say – this post and your letter of intent post made me very happy. i can’t even tell you how EXCITED I AM FOR YOU about this next step in your life. grad school is no joke, but i am 100% confident that you will not only succeed, but you will EXCEL in grad school (and you can always give me a call or g-chat me if you want to commiserate over a glass of wine or a spoonful of nut-butter when the going gets tough – because, i promise, it will get rough at some point).

and this is completely random and 100% out of nowhere, but i just wanted to let you know that out of the 100+ blogs in my feedly (typed google reader and had to delete…), yours is one of about 10 that i NEVER “mark all as read” and will ALWAYS come back to catch up on even if i am 20 posts behind*.

so to sum it up: i love your blog. i think you’re awesome. and yay grad school!

*yes, i have 20 unread smart kitchen posts in my reader. i’m reading them all tonight. forgive me if i don’t comment on them, but i promise – i’m reading.

lindsay May 11, 2013 at 1:21 pm

roll tide it is!! and don’t worry, i’ll looking for someone to publish YOU! I FEEL IT!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 11, 2013 at 7:51 pm

I’m still so freaking excited for you – I can’t wait to celebrate at Blend and see where this journey takes you!! :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables May 13, 2013 at 8:55 pm

I love you… but you will never hear me say “roll tide” or wear crimson. ;) UT orange is in my blood. However, I will come visit and I will cheer YOU on! :)

Laura May 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I got my elementary education degree from Alabama and live in Birmingham. If you go to BAMA you will wear lots of UA things and love football. It is the best school and has a great campus! Good luck to you!

Fran@BCDC May 27, 2013 at 8:51 am

How exciting, Sarah! I missed this post. Excellent!

Kath June 24, 2013 at 7:06 am

I am so so so behind the times but I just wanted to say a huge congratulations! I hope you haven’t already moved because we need to have one more gelato date!

Cait's Plate June 29, 2013 at 11:15 am

I’m with Kath up there /\ SO behind the times – but congrats!!! You are going to do great things!!