Blend 2013: (Some Of) What I Ate

by Sarah on May 22, 2013 · 22 comments

Yesterday I promised a post devoted to the food at this year’s Blend Retreat, and what better day to deliver on that promise than Wednesday?

After all, Jenn is the hottest hostess in this blogging town, and I am desperately hoping Blend 2014 ends up in North Carolina so she can find a babysitter for Chickpea and I can meet her.

Until then, I’ll join her virtual party and let y’all in on (Some of) What I Ate Wednesday at Blend.

We didn’t have to wait long after arriving in Park City before we were treated to a snack sponsored by Attune Foods and (my butter boyfriend) Justin.

yep. this pretty much looks like what happens at my house every night.

Sampling his nut butter on Erewhon grahams wasn’t quite the same as actually getting to follow him around like a vegan-loving puppy dog meet him, but I’ll take what I can get.

maple almond butter + honey peanut butter = heaven.

Post-snack I spent a good amount of time running around our castle hotel suite like the first person to arrive on Real World: Park City.

But it wasn’t long before it was time for cocktail hour and dinner–

–where we learned that I am hopeless in the face of rice wrappers…

…and that I should definitely slather eat peanut sauce on everythingmore often.

at one point i was just standing at the end of the buffet dipping things in this peanut sauce.

I also apparently have not learned the lesson about controlling myself at the buffet table.

The (vegan) Carrot Ginger Soup

—and the Quinoa Cake, full of chopped zucchini and covered with spinach and tomatoes–

–were so satisfying, however, that I hardly wanted more than a bite of Chobani-based panne cotta.

No worries, however, because Chobani was an official sponsor, so it wasn’t like I couldn’t find more to consume.

Although I couldn’t resist a little blood orange tasting, I mostly stuck to the Silk almond milk for attempting to sample every flavor of breakfast sponsor, Muesli Fusion

Call me infatuated.

(And I don’t mean with MR. Muesli Fusion, the cutie patootie founder who even came on the hike with us that afternoon.)

The An-Ox blendfeaturing shockingly soft goji berries, blueberries, and cacao nibs–was so darn tasty I asked for the remains of one of the buffet bags. (And proceeded to polish most of it off later that afternoon and post-flight home on Sunday.)

For dinner, Maria had found an Italian restaurant in downtown Park City that known for its wood-fired pizza and gelato.

After insisting to her husband that I knew where to go, and then getting us lost (of course), we were able to not only get there, but have a pretty fantastic meal.

I split the chopped salad with Amanda

peas on salad make me happy.

…and then had the Ortaggio Verde pizza all to myself.*

*Granted, some was saved for the plane ride home…

I substituted goat cheese to help out my dairy-wary stomach, and made sure they put tomato sauce on it. [Pizza without tomato sauce is focaccia.]

the crust. oh, the crust.

I was too stuffed to even attempt to find my Lactaid order gelato, despite the incredible flavors of the day.

But when I arrived back at the hotel to find Mama B making Utah sconesin her suite on my floor…well, I had to at least go TRY one.

not sure why, as i don't like doughnuts.

Peanut butter, jelly, and yes, ‘real’ butter were the toppings of choice.

fried dough.

At breakfast the next morning, Chobani had truly outdone themselves.

The omelette station was tempting to everyone, and since the line was so darn long I went for the oatmeal bar instead.

Grease Fruit was the word.

I ended up getting the dairy-free oats, and adding TONS of berries, granola, and Silk almond milk that I procured from the coffee station.

Of course, then I gave up on my quest not to consume dairy before getting on the plane--traveling with stomach ‘ish’ would have been no fun at all--and had to sample two of the Flips, since one is Key Lime, and one features cornflakes.*

*It’s the little things.

Plenty of Green Mountain coffee later, and I was headed home.

Of course, what I ate while traveling is a whole different post that I may or may not ever write for another day.

Tweet about this on TwitterShare on FacebookEmail this to someonePin on Pinterest

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table May 22, 2013 at 5:30 am

I bet we set a record for the amount of WIAW posts with similar-looking pics. LOL! It was a pleasure Blend-ing food with you, friend. :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli May 22, 2013 at 5:46 am

I hate that I missed out on those black bean cakes and the peanut sauce…everyone has been raving about them! And obviously, I chose the wrong group for dinner because that pizza looks about 93856 times better than the pork I ended up with that night…and I’m willing to be it was only a fraction of the cost! (grrr!)

Is it just me or do Momma B’s scones look like a certain nugget from a pair of golden arches? 😉

Fran@BCDC May 22, 2013 at 7:25 am

Wow, I am so jealous of you girls who got to “Blend” this weekend. Looks like a great time!! Have a great day, Sarah!

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles May 22, 2013 at 7:54 am

Everything looks SO good. I love all of the Chobani-centric things; I can’t get enough of Chobani. And Justin’s! Justin’s is basically the best thing that’s ever existed.

Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl May 22, 2013 at 9:06 am

I’m so jealous!! Every single thing you ate looks absolutely awesome!!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More May 22, 2013 at 9:11 am

Oh Mr. Muesli Fusion…how I miss you! 😉
But seriously, LOVE the product too!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance May 22, 2013 at 9:24 am

We were seriously spoiled with great food all weekend, don’t you think?! I was excited to finally try a Chobani Flip (that key lime pie one was straight up dessert!). And I thought the hotel did a fabulous job with Friday’s appetizers and dinner. I’m surprised how much I enjoyed the muesli!! Can’t wait to dig into the bags I brought home–I haven’t even had a chance to unpack it all yet!

Nicole @ FruitnFitness May 22, 2013 at 10:01 am

All that blend food looks so great!

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) May 22, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Oh my goodness. Maybe it’s a good thing I couldn’t attend. I’m afraid I wouldn’t have spoken to a soul and focused solely on devouring all the amazing food!

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl May 22, 2013 at 1:18 pm

Everyone’s pictures of the food are making me SO jealous! I especially love the sound of those quinoa cakes!

calee May 22, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Love this: “Connections so immediate you’re not sure if you’ve known each other for four hours…or four years.” (which nearly made me cry at work, btw). I feel like we didn’t spend enough time together this weekend, which makes me sad. I wish all my favorite people didn’t live so stinkin’ far away.

PS I want the big-size of that last group photo (er, the 2nd-to-last one) if you don’t mind … :)

nicole May 22, 2013 at 6:46 pm

ok. i am officially drooling at everything you just posted (even that end table…). that’s some serious eye candy (now i’m talking about the food ;))!

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life May 22, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Oh my goodness. All of that food just looks incredible. BLEND looks like such a fun event – I’d love to go some year! Glad you had a good time!

Ttrockwood May 22, 2013 at 10:13 pm

Looks like a really amazing trip with some great food!!
Have you tried the chobani bite fig with orange zest yet? It really is like four bites, but the most amazing flavor ever. Must find that museli….

Julie May 23, 2013 at 2:21 am

So sad I missed the cocktail party, but oh yes, how come no one else mentioned how cute Mr. Muesli Fusion is?!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist May 23, 2013 at 1:54 pm

I’m crying I’m so jealous. I want…all of it!! Plus the gelato you skipped 😉

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut May 23, 2013 at 2:18 pm

So many pictures!! It definitely paid off to haul around your awesome camera! Mine stayed in the bag and now it turns out it was on and the battery is out and I cannot find the charger! #bloggerproblems

So good hanging and eating with you friend!! <3

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets May 28, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Man alive, you ate really well that weekend, although I might have waiting in the line for the omelet. Then again, you have all that delicious fruit, which I wouldn’t have been able to resist. I’d bath in berries if I could….well maybe not bath, but you get the idea.
Oh and this: [Pizza without tomato sauce is focaccia.] is just wrong. I shall prove it when I get around to writing that post and editing those photos…you know how it is. I still think your fabulous though, and I’d be willing to do a granola/ nutty butter swap.