(Vegan) Creamy Ginger Apple Honey Mustard Dressing [on Apple Fennel Salad Skewers]

by Sarah on April 26, 2013 · 16 comments

My contribution to last weekend’s Spring Vegetarian Beer Pairing Dinner were these–if I do say so myself–very fun and visually appealing Apple Fennel Salad Skewers.

I have wanted to make a pressed salad since I tried them at the Natural Epicurean Graduation Showcase in Austin last year, because salad on a stick just made the veggie lover in me smile.

Technically, ‘pressed salad’ is a macrobiotic method of preparation–which I didn’t have the time, energy, or (frankly) desire for–so instead I figured I could just call ‘em salad skewers and then call it a day.

I used fresh fennel–

–and both Granny Smith and local Crispin apples.

(Speaking of being lazy lacking energy and time, I should have actually shaved the fennel to make it a bit thinner, but the inspirational Apple Fennel Salad I had eaten at Fresca on Addison the weekend before had thicker fennel slivers so I went with it.)

Although they were quite adorable–and the pairing of apples, fennel, and a little Napa cabbage (for extra salad-related intrigue) was a sweet and crunchy addition to a fairly rich and beer-filled meal

the best part of this dish was the dressing.*

*The extras of which I served in an almond butter jar. With the label only half removed. Because I’m classy like that.

This Creamy Ginger Apple ‘Honey’ Mustard Vinaigrette made vegan by using Xagave agave nectar instead of actual honey. The creaminess comes from tofu, and the intrigue comes from the hint of fresh ginger.

And while the concept of salad on a stick might be appropriate for Laura‘s Strange But Good classification

This dressing is drinkably good.

Trust me.Creamy Ginger Apple Honey Mustard Dressing (VEGAN)

• 3 oz. tofu
  • 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
  • 2 Tbsp. mild dijon mustard (365 brand is my favorite)
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar
  • 1 1/2 Tbsp. agave
  • 1/2 tsp. soy sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos
  • 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger
  1. Combine all ingredients in a blender, food processor, or the smoothie cup accessory that came with your immersion blender.
  2. Process until smooth.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 26, 2013 at 12:39 am

Fennel and apple is one of the best combos on earth. Eating it on a stick is the only thing that could make it better. And I love this dressing! I still need to use tofu in a dressing… I’ve put it in everything else!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance April 26, 2013 at 5:12 am

I’ve never tried combining fennel and apple! But if you both think it’s good, then I believe it! And a salad in any form–on a stick, in a bowl–is right up my alley.

Jane | Not Plain So Jane April 26, 2013 at 1:09 am

That dressing does sound tasty! Question though, the skewers look slightly time consuming since the pieces of fennel and apple are pretty small. Was it easy?

Sara @ Nourish and Flourish April 26, 2013 at 2:35 am

The drinkably good Creamy Ginger Apple Honey Mustard Dressing sounds irresistible! I would probably be happy with a bowlful and a spoon. That in itself would be Strange But Good, don’tcha think? I mean, it contains tofu, so clearly I could call it a meal…

I love the idea of eating a salad on a stick! How fun! :D

Liz @ iheartvegetables April 26, 2013 at 7:25 am

Those little babies were good!!! (Not so good that I’d want to put it in my beer *ahem* ;) haha but super good!) Thanks for whipping those up for the dinner!!

char eats greens April 26, 2013 at 8:49 am

It SOUNDS good!!! I trust you on that one ;)

Brittany @ FreckledNettles April 26, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I swear, we must have the same palates! You always have the most appetizing recipes. Thanks a bunch for the post!

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 26, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Drinkable dressing – you are SO speaking my language. :)

lindsay April 26, 2013 at 2:39 pm

best idea ever! okay all your recipes are. But fennel on a stick? yep! love

Lauren @ vegology April 26, 2013 at 4:35 pm

These were delicious! I can already tell I will be making this dressing over and over again.

Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 26, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I don’t think I have ever had fennel but it sounds good mixed with the dressing and apple.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 27, 2013 at 10:09 am

I have never had fennel! We need to remedy that!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 28, 2013 at 5:15 am

Ok, am I the only one here who finds it amusing that the Vegan Creamy Ginger Apple Honey Mustard Dressing actually contains no mustard at all?! As a condiment lover and especially appointed mustard-awareness spokeswoman, I must call you out on this! *points finger* Now send me a bushel of those local Crispin apples and maybe, just MAYBE I can forgive this little misstep of yours! ;)

Sarah April 28, 2013 at 7:35 am

You may not call me out for not putting in mustard…just for leaving it out of the recipe! I will fix it now. Hopefully no one has tried to make it yet, especially after my recent confession of incredible fear that someone will hate one of my recipes.

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 30, 2013 at 9:43 pm

Wow, I might actually eat my fennel when I get it in my CSA this year. Typically, I give it away, but you’ve given me a new way to try it and perhaps even enjoy it. Consider it pinned.