That Time I Ran a 10K [WIAW]

by Sarah on April 17, 2013 · 23 comments

There were many beautiful posts written regarding the tragedy in Boston on Monday. I am deeply saddened that an event celebrating endurance, strength, determination, spirit, and camaraderie was tarnished by violence, fear, hatred, and destruction. The only way I know I prove that terror cannot win is to continue to live and laugh while sending love out into the sadness.

laughing, not crying. i swear.

———————————–

After months of running like I was training for something, I finally ran an actual, legitimate, “paid a registration fee, wore a ‘bib,’ and got a t-shirt” race.

The Ukrop’s Monument 10K in Richmondhas a reputation for being an incredibly fun race, one which everyone told me would be perfect for a first race, since it was flat and full of wild and crazy spectator support.

i definitely had an easier time than the guy collapsed stage left.

I had fun running, focusing not on speed–I never dobut just on pacing, not stopping, and finishing(without injury). I also certainly loved all of the goodies people were throwing at me at the end of the race. :)

the reason lauren and i couldn't find any ripe bananas at kroger the night before was because the entire richmond stock was in the food tent.

The fun began the night before, though, when I met up with Lauren and Liz (and her friendboy, Alex!) for dinner at Fresca on Addison, a completely vegetarian restaurant I wish were in Charlottesville, because everything on the menu sounded divine.

I followed the wide-eyed reaction of the cashier when I asked which sandwich was better and ordered the lentil burger (on housemade doughy wheat bread) with incredible spicy mayo, and a side of crisp, delicious apple fennel salad.

Liz was going to run in the 10K, but ended up spending Saturday in D.C., so Lauren was the lucky duck who got to play hostess to Miss Smart. Not only did she open up her guest room to me, she didn’t laugh at me when I double-fisted tea on Friday night, and made sure I was well-fed before the race on Saturday morning.

toast, jam, honey, earth balance, cinnamon, banana

Lauren was running in the 10K as part of her tapering from half-marathon training. She was also running as a giant block of tofu from Veganville as part of her Leukemia and Lymphona Society fundraising.

I began and ended the race ahead of her, crushing two bottles of water while I waited and stretched.

Paranoid about wearing out my running shoes, I had also brought flip-flops, but clearly couldn’t change out of my Mizunos until I’d found Lauren post-race.

fitmixer for pre-race energy and post-race recovery

I obviously needed to look legit in our photos, both serious…

….and silly.

how serious can you be when you are hanging out with a block of tofu?

And then we had to bring it on down to Veganville. ;)

The last two miles or so of the run, all I could think about was how badly I wanted coffee. And believe me, when we finally made it to brunch at The Mill on MacArthur, it tasted just as good as I anticipated.

Normally, when I go out to brunch, I want lunch foods, but my new egg obsession must have been at work, because the only thing that sounded right to me was “The Old Faithful.”

two eggs over easy, buttermilk biscuits, veggie sausage, potato pancake

Let’s just look at that again, shall we?

It was probably about the time that Lauren was digging into her burrito, and I was dousing my herbed potato pancake in ketchup that we realized with comical shock that we were both eating like we’d run a frickin’ marathon or something, instead of the 6.2 miles that we could run on any old day of the week.

Carbs, protein, and not a vegetable in sight. Ain’t no shame in pretending we needed to fuel like we were marathoners, right, Jenn?

Richmond visits equal Costco visits, where I was clearly overcompensating for the dearth of fruits and veggies in my 10K diet plan.

As soon as I made it back to Charlottesville, I took down that cantaloupe.

And ate a giant veggie beast in-a-bowl for dinner.

veggies galore with blueberry chipotle dijon dressing, avocado citrus dressing, roasted red pepper hummus, and who knows what else

My bedtime snack needed to be fresh and clean, too, apparently, as a combination of Trader Joe’s goat’s milk and Greek yogurts, plus a bit of blueberry Yoplait from a staff meeting, on apples and pears, with cinnamon, was just the ticket.

And well, then there was the Dark Chocolate Sea Salt Almond Butter experiment…

I can only imagine the fun runner’s appetite induced creations that might come if I ran any farther. ;)

Maria April 17, 2013 at 1:53 am

Woo hoo! I ran a 10K once. It was on a treadmill and I had five slices of pizza afterwards, so yeah. I get it.

In terms of racing…did you catch the bug? What’s next?

Jane April 17, 2013 at 3:12 am

Last year for the DC marathon, I did’t have time to make coffee before the race (it was 3am) and a good chunk of that race I was fantasizing about a latte :) That Almond Butter looks amazing. I am a 1st time Nutty Butter customer and am hooked.

Miss Polkadot April 17, 2013 at 6:42 am

Congrats on running your first race – and with a block of tofu, no less ;) ! Any race is just as long as it feels like, um, as long as your appetite tells you is was so eat away :D .
So fun you ran as “Miss Smart”, too.

Liz @ iheartvegetables April 17, 2013 at 7:40 am

I’m so glad you had fun running the 10k!!!! And Lauren’s costume is hilarious! I love it! (P.S. I think my name is linking to her blog, haha) I’m sad I couldn’t run it with you but I’m glad I got to catch up with you the night before!

Fran@BCDC April 17, 2013 at 7:45 am

Congrats on your run. The food at the veggie restaurant looks delicious!

Ang @ Nutty for Life April 17, 2013 at 8:12 am

Congrats on your race! I’m surprised you drank two bottles of water beforehand – I would have needed a bathroom something fierce. And I think I need that dark chocolate sea salt almond butter in my life.

Sarah April 17, 2013 at 8:33 am

Oh, I drank those AFTER the race. Goodness, no, I used the porta-potties about six times before the race as it was. :)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance April 17, 2013 at 8:37 am

Congrats on the race!! I love *fun* races . . . I’m totally over being fast and serious about it. :) So, will you be sharing the dark chocolate sea salt almond butter experiment?!? Looks divine!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 17, 2013 at 9:15 am

Perfect post for today!!! So proud of you guys. I must admit – my favorite part about running is the refuel.

Meg @ A Dash of Meg April 17, 2013 at 10:11 am

HAHAHAHA I love that you just said you have an egg obsession! That makes me so happy :D Congrats my love! So proud of you and your race <3

Brittany (Healthy Slice of Life) April 17, 2013 at 1:30 pm

WAHOO! Congrats on the first race. It sounds like you had just a little bit of fun :)
And when I ran my (one and only) 10k, I definitely felt like I had run a marathon, so munch on! And bring it on down Veganvillllllle ;)

Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 17, 2013 at 2:40 pm

Congrats on your race! It looks like they had a great food selection post race at the race and that breakfast after, yum! Running always makes me really hungry and I know I tend to eat way more than I need to after long runs.

rebecca @ blueberry smiles April 17, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Lol, sooo funny that she ran as a giant block of tofu!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning April 17, 2013 at 3:48 pm

Hooray for your race! And the tofu block is too funny.
I’m too distracted by the lentil burger to comment on anything else right now…
Congrats on the 10k! :)

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 17, 2013 at 5:08 pm

What do you mean “eating like we’d run a frickin’ marathon.” That looks like my normal breakfast on the weekends. Ha! Although I do go a little lighter during the week. Congratulations on the race; I’m glad you enjoyed it and ate like a king (or really a queen because who doesn’t want to be queen) after.

Allie April 17, 2013 at 6:24 pm

Way to get down with yo’ running self! Much admiration for 10k! Or, really, any k ;)

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 17, 2013 at 6:45 pm

This means you’re “official” right, since there’s that saying that you’re officially a runner when you finish a race. :)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 17, 2013 at 8:13 pm

WOO-HOO!! Go you!! I’m so excited for your race. I was thinking about you all weekend!! Next race, I wanna run with you.
It looks like you had some great eats and a wonderful time!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers April 18, 2013 at 8:40 am

Way to go! It sure looks like the race was fun. :) Glad to see you refueled.

calee April 19, 2013 at 11:39 am

I’m proud of you for running a race! I hope you don’t fall into the race trap and feel pressured to run a bunch more.

seriously i feel like i’m talking to 23-year-old me sometimes when i talk to you about running! i used to run just to run, to feel “clean” after a run, to get my anxiety and anger out, and it became miles and miles and hours and hours … but i never timed my pace or considered running a race. people started pestering me to do one (and i’m guilty of doing the same to you! sorry!) and then it became a race against myself, and now i’m here, and running and i are still trying to be friends again.

that being said, i am a fan of “for fun” races — like the color run, glow runs, zombie runs, etc. those are fun to participate in and are low-pressure.

also, we need to plan to run together in june! (16-19! I should send you my schedule!)

Emily April 19, 2013 at 1:15 pm

Sarah! I know someone who ran that race! She’s in quite a different age group – 80 – but she was just talking about the race this morning (we take group fitness classes together). I’m simply amazed that she ran/jogged/walked a 10k because well, I’m not even close to 80 and I can’t (but I don’t really want to either). haha.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 20, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Haha! I love the bring it on down to Veganville pose! Classy! And omg, that breakfast sounds amazing! I always order breakfast when it comes to brunch…but usually go more savory instead of sweet. For some reason, I have the window of sweet in the morning and at night, but it rarely pops up anytime other than that.

Congrats on your very first OFFICIAL race! You’re a REAL runner now! Not like you weren’t before, but…eh, you know what I mean! ;)

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut April 22, 2013 at 11:00 am

Holy buckets the amount of food in this post is awesome!! Congrats on running your first 10K! Shouldn’t have been too big of a deal though since you’ve been running so much! ;) Next stop- half-mary! ;)

Also, I want that dark chocolate seasalt deliciosity!