Sushi Rice Salad + Sushi-Stuffed ‘Shrooms

by Sarah on April 19, 2013 · 13 comments

For my ‘Fungus Among Us’ mushroom-themed cooking class at Whole Foods, crowd support may have been shifted slightly in favor of the Nutty Wild Mushroom Pate, but this leading lady much preferred the second appetizing appetizer.

After settling on the cooking class theme, I knew I wanted to make a stuffed mushrooms. But stuffed mushrooms in 80-degree Virginia springtime just did not sound appealing.

Although consequently fabulous for helping celebrate Earth Month, mushrooms have a tendency of tasting too earthy at times, feeling, when cooked, often better suited for the fall and winter months.

But what if we kept things cool and raw?

I was also really just craving sushi at the time. ;)

What to do?

i only worried about getting out the SUPER sized seeds.

Take all of the ingredients for a vegan sushi bite…

…and mix them together in a bowl!

You could use sticky rice–who doesn’t love sticky rice?--but my current short grain brown rice fixation won out this time.

Confession: I sometimes think I only like sushi because of the pickled ginger.

Seriously, I could probably eat this whole jar without accompaniment.

Of course, instead I chopped up a bunch and ate more to mix into the rice salad.

This was my first time using nori, although I knew I loved the flavor of it, and that the salad just wouldn’t taste like sushi without it.

Attempting to chop it might have been a bit of a fail, but crumbling it into the bowl worked just fine.

Although my fingernails looked a bit like I’d been digging in dirt for awhile afterwards…

Rice vinegar and liquid aminos (or soy sauce, or tamari) make a simple overnight marinade.

Just before serving [or stuffing], suffer through the pangs of ‘will this be a good one?’ avocado assassination.

To be honest, this Sushi (Rice) Salad is such a beautiful, refreshing dish on its own–

–and you could, obviously, serve this as a stand-alone side dish, perhaps with some grilled seafood.

Luckily, I remembered I had to incorporate mushrooms…

…and that people generally love sushi with wasabi.

Or in this case, wasabi peas.

A quick crush with a knife provides for just the right about of heat when sprinkled on top of each little sushi cap.

Rolling out nori on mats might be hard, but this?

This is sush-easy.

Sushi (Rice) Salad

• 1 cup finely chopped peeled cucumber
• 1 cup finely chopped shredded carrots
• 1 ½ cups cooked short grain brown (or sushi) rice
• 1/4 cup rice vinegar
• 1/4 cup chopped pickled ginger
• 1 ½ Tbsp. tamari, soy sauce, or liquid aminos
• 1 sheet nori, crumbled [or more to taste]
• 1 cup finely chopped avocado
• 3 Tbsp. wasabi peas, crushed

1. Combine all ingredients, except avocado and wasabi peas, in a large mixing bowl. Stir well.
2. Store in the fridge overnight, or for at least an hour or so for flavors to ‘meld.’
3. Just before serving, stir in avocado.
4. Sprinkle with crushed wasabi peas, and serve ‘as is’ on lettuce or cabbage leaves, or continue on with stuffed mushrooms, using wasabi peas as garnish.

Sushi-Stuffed Mushrooms

1. Remove stems from large button or ‘stuffer’ mushrooms.
  2. Scoop Sushi Salad into mushrooms.
  3. Serve with chopsticks, extra wasabi, ginger, and soy sauce, or a soy-ginger dressing of your choice.

———————————

In addition to being sush-easy, it is also a little Strange But Good. I’m pretty sure Laura could even whip up a version with asparagus and swordfish pre-figure competition. :)

Check out her blog today for other risque risky recipes and kooky creations!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 19, 2013 at 9:00 am

You’ve just solved my sushi problem. I love it but I suck at rolling it. Big time. However, I can stuff a shroom like a BOSS. This is going down verrrry soon in the most risque way possible. ;)

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables April 19, 2013 at 9:25 am

Those are SO COOL!!! This is such an awesome idea! I was telling Alex that I wanted to make sushi but we were both scared it was going to be hard, haha. This sounds awesome!

Lauren @ vegology April 21, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Liz – I want to make sushi too and I’m terrified of it. I think we should face our fears and go for it, just like we did with canning last year. As long as we’re just dealing with raw veggies and not raw fish… what could go wrong?

calee April 19, 2013 at 11:41 am

sushi and mushrooms! great idea!!

lindsay April 19, 2013 at 1:50 pm

i’m really pissed i didn’t know you better before you left austin, i would have been invading your house EVERY LIVE LONG DAY! COME BACK!

Alex @ Cookie Dough Katzen April 19, 2013 at 2:23 pm

What a great idea! I love sushi but I don’t think I’d be very good at rolling it all up. I’ll have to give this a try!

Heather @ Better With Veggies April 19, 2013 at 9:07 pm

How fun is this?! I am imagining you trying to chop the nori and I know how that goes…makes me giggle just a little. ;)

Lindsey @ Pas de Deux April 19, 2013 at 9:36 pm

This sounds so yummy–and genius to make “sushi” without having to roll it up (which is just plain intimidating). I can’t wait t make this!

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets April 20, 2013 at 10:06 am

And the reason I love this is because I’m not a fan of cooked mushrooms, but raw I can do, so you’ve finally given me a way to make stuffed mushrooms. Love it; thanks Ms. Smart!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 20, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Yes yes YES! I love everything about this recipe…ESPECIALLY the pickled ginger! I too could eat an entire jar of the stuff…which is weird since I used to hate it. But that was back when I hadn’t had good sushi either! I’ve been mixing up different variations of sushi salad off an on for a couple of months now, but I can’t believe I never thought to do a grain based salad before…duh! I’m seeing this happening soon with some smoked salmon! Oh yes…oh yes!

Maria April 21, 2013 at 1:38 am

Just before I read this post I was craving some raw veggies, thinking “Who the heck am I…craving raw vegetables?” Then I realized I was you and it delighted me.

And that photo of the cucumber sealed the deal. I’m going to watch TV and eat some raw cucumber and cauliflower now. I did eat like three slices of meat lovers (Brnadon’s favorite) pizza tonight, so I guess this is my body’s way of balancing.

Lauren @ vegology April 21, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Sarah I LOVE this idea! You are so creative! I’m not crazy about mushrooms but I would be willing to give this a try.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 22, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Can you just move in with me?? Seriously… it wouldn’t be weird at all. ;) I am now craving this in the worst way.