Pass the Papaya [#WIAW]

by Sarah on April 24, 2013 · 25 comments

Don’t get me wrong. I fully support eating local.

[Heck, when I travel, I also believe in eating like a local.]

But as it does not financially or logistically behoove me to pick up and move to Costa Ricayet?I will always make exceptions for certain produce, like mangoes, pineapple, and the past week’s joy, papaya.

this, interestingly, came from my favorite non-local asian market

Unlike another blogger I know, I think I have always loved papaya. On the rare occasion I encountered tropical canned fruit salad growing up, it took the place of the cherries as my favorite part of the blend. If I’ve ever been faced with a tropical trail mix, the little dried papaya bits are the first to be picked out (followed closely by “mango flavor pineapple,” because no trail mix ever seemed to have REAL dried mango).

But if you can get it, fresh off the tree is always best.

for as much as i discuss my GI tract, it shouldn't be surprising i love a fruit that aids in digestion

Creamy, rich, and just a-little-more-than-slightly sweet, it is perfectly refreshing with a squeeze of lime juice and a dash of chili powder (as they commonly serve it in Central America).

But, Jenn, and all you other tropical treat lovin’ ladies (and gents), as I learned from consuming the entire giant papaya shown above, it has a number of other tasty applications.

Topping a giant coc-oat-nut buckwheat pancake with it, and its color-wheel companion–the strawberry--made perfect sense.Vanilla-sweetened kefir made for delicious “frosting” and who doesn’t love cinnamon? [Or deliciously fluffy pancakes?]

I wish I had been a wee bit more weirdly creative with it, actually, but then it just kept disappearing out of the fridge straight into my mouth.

Or into after-midnight snacks of hemp protein mixed with applesauce, kefir, almond milk, and cereal.I did serve it on the side of my Brown Rice and Bulgur Breakfast Pudding one morning.Who knew warm papaya could be so good? Or that it would pair well with savory seasoned kabocha?

OK. i guess that's a LITTLE weird.

Aside from that brief flirtation with my freaky foodie nature, though, I put papaya where you’d think papaya should be put.

How good was it in a bedtime bowl of Greek yogurt glory?And, um, how delicious is the flavor of this Dannon Oikos yogurt?*

*Forgive me, Chobani, for I have sinned.

must...recreate...somehow....

Peter Piper may have picked a peck of pickled peppers.

lemon bar microwave muffin, yogurt 'frosting,' papaya, thawed raspberries, slivered almonds

But Miss Pember will proudly pick a pound (or three) of papaya.*

*Although y’all know I wouldn’t say no to anything pickled. ;)

Jane April 24, 2013 at 2:05 am

Lemon bar microwave muffin! I’ve been into mug microwave desserts lately. I use dried papaya in all the trail mixes I make, it is so good!

Lindsay @ The Lean Green Bean April 24, 2013 at 5:56 am

my mom used to buy papaya when i was little and those black seed balls gross me out SO MUCH that to this day i still can’t buy it. sounds like i need to get over that fear!

Lift, Sleep, Eat April 24, 2013 at 6:11 am

Oh yum I haven’t had papaya in so long…you’re making me want to go out and buy one now!

Fran@BCDC April 24, 2013 at 6:24 am

Papaya is not something that I would automatically think of buying. I must say that all of your dishes look delicious, Sarah. The photos of the papayas themselves always make me think they should be painted into a still life. They’re so pretty. Pretty tasty too, when I’ve had them.

Liz @ iheartvegetables April 24, 2013 at 6:55 am

I totally wanna make a papaya salsa. Doesn’t that sound wonderful??

Miss Polkadot April 24, 2013 at 7:50 am

Oookay, I thiiink I’ll have to disagree here. However much I like (almost) all kinds of fruit papaya is certainly not one of them. The last time I had it I found it just … bland. Forgive me, Sarah! Let’s bond over a bowl of ice cream topped with kabocha and lots of nut butter, yes ;) ?!

Jessie April 24, 2013 at 8:35 am

I have never had papaya before.. and now you are making me question myself WHY!!!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table April 24, 2013 at 8:48 am

I actually dont like papaya… but all this deliciouness make me want to try it again. I saw it pickled at the farmer’s market… maybe that would be the thing for me?!

Eating 4 Balance April 24, 2013 at 8:50 am

Is it possible to pickle a papaya?! I don’t but that sounds like an adventure into unmarked food waters. Okay. Nevermind. Google confirms that it’s already been done. But still, pickled papaya just sounds so cool!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance April 24, 2013 at 11:02 am

I hear ya! There are definitely times when NOT eating local is necessary. Tropical fruit is one of them!! Or maybe I should just move to a tropical location. Hmmm . . . With the weather right now, it sounds quite tempting.

Beth @ Mangoes and Miles April 24, 2013 at 11:44 am

I had papaya for the first time a few weeks ago, and it was SO good. I really want to try starfruit, and dragonfruit, and other tropical fruits…I feel like I’ve been so deprived. :P (#firstwordproblems)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 24, 2013 at 11:48 am

I honestly do not think that I have ever eaten papaya. I will have to put it on my list of foods to try! :)

Debbie (Accidently Delish) April 24, 2013 at 11:53 am

i have never had papaya! i don’t even think i’ve seen it in my stores, or maybe i haven’t looked for it. maybe i should try it?

random question, do you make your microwave muffins with eggs? i have seen SO many recipes, and i’ve attempted a few, but meh haven’t found one that blows me away.

i’ll keep trying though, you know i never give up :)

Nicole @ FruitnFitness April 24, 2013 at 12:44 pm

I don’t know if I have ever eaten papaya, I may have to give it a try! I love the toasted coconut vanilla Oikos, its probably my new favorite yogurt which is saying a lot since I absolutely love Cho passion fruit.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist April 24, 2013 at 1:10 pm

THAT YOGURT!!!!!

And I’m scared of papaya. I like it, and I love the dried ones in the tropical mix, but once I bought one, had no idea how to tell if it was ripe…was very wrong and had to throw it away. Bleh. Will try again, I promise!

Maria April 24, 2013 at 3:42 pm

1. I actually don’t like papaya either. Gasp. I think it tastes like perfume and I hate perfume.

2. You know what I do like? Lemon. As in Lemon bar microwave cake…I bought some lemons this week hoping that you’d share the recipe ;) You are such a tease, but I still love you.

lindsay April 24, 2013 at 3:53 pm

so i have this obsession with papaya, and i could eat like 5 in one sitting, so i don’t buy the fresh kind anymore. I buy frozen. I am scared to think about what ENZYME OVERLOAD will do to my gut and lack of control. LOL!

Allie April 24, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I don’t know why–I just don’t like Papaya. And I’ve even had it fresh while in Costa Rica! Go figure. Still, love all your funky combinations (as always). I’ll just ogle from a distance, or maybe sub with something else tropical and fresh :)

Gina @Health, Love, and Chocolate April 24, 2013 at 6:17 pm

When I was in Hawaii last year I literally went through multiple papayas a day, they are so delicious even plain (although your combinations look pretty darn tasty also, as usual :-) )!

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life April 24, 2013 at 9:10 pm

The only time I ever had papaya was in Mexico and ohhh my goodness was it amazing! I don’t blame you for considering a move to Costa Rica. ;-)

Kristina April 25, 2013 at 12:29 am

I am enjoying papaya this week too… it always reminds me of visiting my Grandpa in Hawaii…

also? pickled papaya. that just sounds awesome.

Kanoelani April 25, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Love Papaya! Since I’m part Hawaiian can’t get enough of this, mango, pineapple, guava or do I need to go on HAHA!! I love my tropical fruits :-D

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables April 27, 2013 at 10:12 am

I am dying for that pancake recipe!! I have never bought a papaya, but those seeds look a bit creepy to me! lol

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 28, 2013 at 5:02 am

First off, I want you to know that while reading this post, I was enjoying some lactose FREE strawberry Arctic Zero topped with peanut butter Capt’n Crunch…yeah, couldn’t help but think of you as I now have THREE open boxes of sugary kiddie cereal in my possession right now…and two more that I’ve hidden from myself! ;)

I’m sorry…don’t hate me, but I’ve never liked papaya. I was the girl picking it OUT of her tropical fruit salad! I gave it another try last summer just to see if I still felt the same…it’s just “meh”…but I’ll take just about any other tropical fruit ANY day…except kiwi since you know, I kinda don’t want to quit breathing and die! ;)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli April 28, 2013 at 5:02 am