[Vegan] Raspberry Peach Oatmeal Cake

by Sarah on March 12, 2013 · 17 comments

The final dessert from my Engine 2 Diet/Health Starts Here Desserts Class at Whole Foods last month was another adaptation from a recipe that caught my eye in the back of the Engine 2 book.

Blueberry Dumpster Fire Cobbler sounded like a combination of all things gooey, easy, cakey, and delicious: dump cake? cobbler? cooked berries?  Yes, please!

But, well, I obviously had to change it a little bit.

[And not just the substitution of (frozen) peaches and raspberries for blueberries.]

in season all year round!

The original recipe was a good place to start, but it needed to be slightly more complicatedmade even better. :)

added oats, spices, and coconut for extra sweetness

In line with the Engine 2 and Whole Foods’ own Health Starts Here guidelines, this is a cake that bakes up with no butter, no eggs, no refined oils, and no processed sugars.

And while even a vegan has to admit that butter, eggs, and sugar are an undoubtedly scrumptious addition to any baked good–

–this cake disproves (at least Stepmama Smart’s) belief that you can’t have a great baked good without them.

It also proves that 10 minutes of work–and an tortuous hour of smells-so-good waiting–

–is all that is keeping you from a warm spice cake for dessert, balanced with a sweetness from the fruit. [Feel free to choose different ones.]

And unlike a lot of “just because it says vegan, doesn’t mean it’s healthy” baked goods

i just wouldn't have felt right taking it to my cooking class without tasting it first.

this one (at least comparatively) actually is. :)

Raspberry Peach Oatmeal Cake

(Adapted from the Engine 2 Blueberry Dumpster Cobbler)

• 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 2/3 cup rolled oats
  • 2 Tbsp. unsweetened shredded coconut
  • 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
  • 1 tsp. apple or pumpkin pie spice (or ½ tsp. ground cinnamon + ¼ tsp. nutmeg + ¼ tsp. ground ginger + 1/8 tsp. cloves or allspice)
  • pinch of salt (literally)
  • ¾ cup unsweetened almond, soy, or rice milk
  • 1 Tbsp. agave or maple syrup
  • 2 cups fresh or frozen (thawed) fruit
  • 2-3 Tbsp. chopped pecans or walnuts
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a mixing bowl, combine flour, oats, coconut, baking powder, and spices.
  3. In a separate bowl, whisk together milk substitute and agave or maple syrup.
  4. Combine wet with dry ingredients. Stir well. [The batter will be very runny.]
  5. Pour batter into a small non-stick baking dish (8 x 8” or the equivalent).
  6. Top with fruit and sprinkle with nuts.
  7. Bake 45-60 minutes, until browned.

Cari March 12, 2013 at 7:20 am

yum! I’m definitely going to have to try this (or some variation thereof :) ) sometime soon! By the way, how did you get into teaching classes at Whole Foods? Sounds like a blast!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 12, 2013 at 9:15 am

Fruit cobbler-type desserts are the best. Fruit is so naturally sweet that you really don’t need to add much else! The raspberry and peach combo sounds delicious.

Danica @ It's Progression March 12, 2013 at 9:26 am

This looks (and sounds) fantastic, Sarah!! Love all of the ingredients. It’s definitely on my to-bake-soon list!

Kristina March 12, 2013 at 10:52 am

I love Esselstyn, I love dessert, I love THIS kind of dessert specifically. I still have a [small] amount of cherries from my tree in the freezer – I think this may be what they are used for!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 12, 2013 at 11:19 am

Whoa. I need to make this stat. Is is peach season YET? Peaches with all that spiced goodness would be incredible.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist March 12, 2013 at 1:47 pm

Perfect! I love this recipe! :)

Allie March 12, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Mmm, fruity spice cake? Count me in. I love everything cobbler/crumbley/crisp! Seriously, can you come teach a cooking class here? Maybe Whole Foods will pay to send you to Nashville and bring us tasty recipes ;)

Haley @ fullnfit March 12, 2013 at 7:42 pm

ahhh! peaches! I can’t wait until Peach season.. so juicy & sweet.

This looks scrumptious :)

Maria March 12, 2013 at 10:52 pm

“Moving to the country. Gonna eat a lot of peaches….if I had it my way, I’d eat peaches everyday”.

If you don’t remember this song, then please disregard my wasted comment.

xoxo

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 13, 2013 at 9:01 am

But THIS…THIS is what I was MORE interested in!!!! Come…to…MAMA!!!!! *drool*

I burn, I pine, I perish…

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables March 13, 2013 at 7:30 pm

I get to add in oats tomorrow!! I think this should be on the agenda for the weekend. Just sub some GF flour and its golden!

Heather @ Better With Veggies March 20, 2013 at 1:57 pm

I don’t make a ton of desserts, but I think i might make an exception for this one. I mean, it is fruit, right?! :)

Bhakti Raut May 6, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Lovely recipe…gonna make it this weekend! Since its not peach season, which other fruits can I substitute for peaches? Cheers!

Sarah May 6, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Since I used frozen fruit, I imagine ANYTHING will work. You might just need to adjust the thickness of your cuts and perhaps the cooking time. I imagine pears would be phenomenal, or any of the early strawberries that are coming in to the market right now. Really, the best thing about the recipe IS how adaptable it is!

Leah May 31, 2013 at 6:58 pm

I replaced the whole wheat flour with oat flour, doubled the recipe but used half as much honey and used whole milk instead, and it was absolutely delicious. The tartness of the fruit goes well with plain yogurt :)

Sarah June 3, 2013 at 10:57 am

I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I bet oat flour made it incredibly light.