Roasted Fennel and Pumpkin Thai Curry

by Sarah on March 22, 2013 · 11 comments

I’ve said it a gazillion times.

leftover roasted fennel? (in tup-faux-ware that you ate all of the accompanying cabbage out of...)

So I might as well say it a gazillion and one.

smidge of coconut milk you might have forgotten was in the fridge?

I’m not really that creative.

open can of green curry paste? (that you probably should have transferred out of the aluminum...)

Or even an astounding cook.

it's probably time to start using up the four hundred cans of pumpkin in the pantry

I’m just good at taking random odds and ends

frozen spinach for that green smoothie i swear i'll make one day...

–and a little bit of inspiration

not that i actually read the recipe. sometimes a title is enough.

–and turning it into something unexpectedly delicious.

coconut milk and fennel headed for puree

And sometimes strange.

pumpkin and green curry...who would have thought?

Or what some might call weird.

as my dear blend brittany taught me, basil is key to a good thai curry

But maybe that is creativity?

because i have a strange aversion to monochromatic results

I’m not sure.

pulsed to be patterned, not pureed

But I am sure that this is a spicy sweet concoction that bursts with oddly perfect partnerships among perhaps seemingly disjointed ingredients.

thick or thin, it's really up to you...and the addition of more or less broth or water

Also, I should point out, that if you are going to eat it for lunch the next day, you don’t even have to heat it up. :)

peanuts. definitely needs more peanuts.

Roasted Fennel, Pumpkin, and Spinach Thai Curry

[Makes about 6 cups]

• 2 fennel bulbs, stems and fronds removed
  • 3/4 cup canned pumpkin
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen cut leaf spinach, thawed (or cooked for 1 minute in the microwave)
  • 2/3 cup light coconut milk
  • 1/3 cup water or vegetable broth (or more to reach desired consistency)
  • 1 Tbsp. dried basil leaves
  • 1 Tbsp. green curry paste (I use Maesri)
  • 1-2 tsp. fresh ginger, minced (optional)
  1. Slice fennel into 6-8 wedges, separating ‘leaves.’ Toss in olive oil or spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
  2. Roast at 400 degrees until soft and tender. (About 30 minutes, depending on your oven.)
  3. Remove fennel from oven.
  4. Combine roasted fennel with coconut milk  in a food processor. Process until relatively smooth.
  5. Add  pumpkin, basil, curry paste, and ginger to the processor bowl. Process, adding water, until mixture reaches desired consistency and texture.
  6. Pulse in spinach until chopped and incorporated, but not so much that the curry turns green. :)
  7. Heat and serve!

—————————–

You know who would love this recipe? Any strange but good, freaky foodies out there like me, and my good more-than-blend Laura. Check out her blog today to see what other unexpectedly delicious creations others in the world of blogging have cooked up.

Liz @ iheartvegetables March 22, 2013 at 7:57 am

Haha that sounds crazy but pretty delicious!!! I love Thai food :)

Fran@BCDC March 22, 2013 at 8:41 am

Certainly different! Sounds good to me!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 22, 2013 at 9:07 am

I really need to try fennel!! I’m curious about it. Happy Friday!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 22, 2013 at 9:18 am

Awwww.. I heart you, my more-than-blend! And this recipe rocks. I’m on a serious Indian kick. I haven’t gone a week without it in over a month! As you saw last night I ate with Asha. She was soooo sweet and came out to say hi. You need to make a curry #nuttbutter and send it to her!!

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist March 22, 2013 at 9:49 am

I’m definitely a curry fanatic. And I totally cook this way too. Everything gets dumped into the dinner pan. My fiance always asks what I’m making…and I always say “I don’t know” and then a plate of food pops up in front of him. No name, just food. And it’s always good (ok, except for that one time a couple years ago where chard was mixed with something I can’t even remember and I dumped dinner down the sink for the first and only time, ever).

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 22, 2013 at 11:06 am

I have never actually cooked with fennel before, but I love trying new foods! I am going to have to give this recipe a try :) .

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables March 22, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Yes…. basil is key!! I am loving this recipe. You know I’ll be all over this!

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness March 22, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I have never tried fennel but I love all the other ingredients. I could eat pumpkin and curry all year, although I don’t think I have had them together before.

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning March 22, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Yum to everything in this recipe! I love fennel and all things licorice. Except straight up black licorice. :)
I’m definitely intrigued by this combination….
I’d like to add more peanuts to everything in life!

Jess Smith: Jessness Required March 23, 2013 at 1:47 am

I love linking up to Strange But Good posts – you definitely have an interesting mix there, you are an artist of food my friend, so creative, love it!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 25, 2013 at 5:16 am

I love the way your mind works! I never really think twice about throwing random things together on a single plate/bowl, but taking the plunge to make multiple servings? I’m always afraid I’ll throw in one thing too many and I’ll be stuck with something I’m either forced to eat or *gasp* throw away!