Orange Almond Pesto

by Sarah on March 18, 2013 · 16 comments

Well now, you poor, neglected basil, whatever shall I do with you?

The only thing logical, I guess.

But–wait a minute–when I have ever done anything the ‘typical’ way?*

*OK, I made ‘real’ pesto once. One time.

What I have done instead–a million times–is use it, or lose it with odds and ends and leftovers.

And so, dear basil, I will turn you into a sweet, tangy, bright hint of spring green freshness during the time of year when one never knows if it will snow, or if she’ll be running in shorts.

And it will be a very, very good way to save you from your deathbed.

Orange Almond Pesto

(Makes 1/2 Cup)

• 2 cups (tightly packed) basil leaves [2.5 oz.]
  • 1/4 cup almonds
  • 1/3 cup orange juice
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 2 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth.

—————

Although tempted to cover some Brussels sprouts with this almost accidental creation, I instead turned to Brussels’ big sister.

Another very, very good idea.

[And not just because there are so many more opportunities for crispy leaflets when you roast cabbage. ;) ]

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist March 18, 2013 at 4:16 pm

Sounds yummy to me! I’ve never been much for following recipes either ;) what fun is that? Orange has been on my mind too!

Sarah March 20, 2013 at 7:19 pm

I consider recipes just brainstorms of potential plans. Not actual plans. ;)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 18, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Yay for roasted cabbage!! :) What a great idea for an awesome flavor combination. Basil with citrus and almonds . . . sounds good!

Mary @ Fit and Fed March 18, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Nice pesto variations! I’ve never tried it with almonds or with nutri-yeast, both sound worth a try! My cooking is very often driven by what produce is in the fridge and needs to be used up, in fact, there’s some fresh basil in there now! I had my eye on making a polenta torte with a basil layer and a vegan cheese layer (and maybe one with mascarpone and goat cheese for the cheese eating folks in the household).

Sarah March 20, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Wow. Polenta torte sounds amazing. It reminds me of an appetizer my aunt usually makes at Christmas with pesto, cream cheese/goat cheese, and a sundried tomato layer. I would love to try a vegan version. Pass the crackers!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 18, 2013 at 6:25 pm

Recipes are for following? I thought they were just suggestions and sparks for inspiration? ;)

I love pesto. I want to spead this all over a spaghetti squash pie. Hmmmm…

Cari March 18, 2013 at 7:39 pm

Great idea! This sounds fantastic! I never do anything the ‘normal’ way, either :)

Haley @ fullnfit March 18, 2013 at 8:06 pm

This sounds like it is right up my alley! I am not a fan of pesto, usually, because it can be too oily. Hence the reason this sounds perfect–no oil! Thank you for sharing :)

lindsay March 18, 2013 at 10:05 pm

i can’t follow recipes, i feel constrained. But i love yours! i might just.. follow your lead! PESTO!

Liz @ iheartvegetables March 19, 2013 at 7:55 am

I was just reading Jenn’s post about marinating tomatos in pesto but I didn’t have any pesto! Problem, solved. You rock, Miss Pember :)

Sarah March 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm

I do it for you. Only for you.

jennifersbliss@gmail.com March 19, 2013 at 8:05 am

Lovely take on flavored pesto!

Sarah March 20, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Thank you. :)

Ashley @ Freckles And Spice March 19, 2013 at 9:04 am

As usual your recipe looks awesome and creative. I’ve been looking me some purple cabbage lately so I may just have to do this. I want to do it with fresh oj juice – I wonder which kind I should use – decisions…

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables March 22, 2013 at 5:25 pm

I love pesto, but I can never find it without a ton of oil or cheese! I LOVE you! :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 25, 2013 at 4:57 am

Did I ever tell you about what happened with my plan to make your apple lemon ginger pesto? Remember how I said I had all the ingredients to make it? Well, the basil ended up going bad on me…like REALLY bad…so I went out and bought another…and then my foodie ADD kicked in and I forgot about it AGAIN! Two weeks later, another blackened bag of basil in the trash! I’m a foodie failure! :(

Oh oh ohhhhh, but I did FINALLY roast some garlic! Omg, it was so easy! I just threw in half a bulb in some aluminum foil when I was baking a few sweet potatoes and voila! And then, the other day, I stirred it into some of my FROG jam! Yeah, I thought you’d like that! ;)