Make a #WIAW Wish!

by Sarah on March 6, 2013 · 28 comments

A couple of years ago now, I found myself in a bookstore with one of my best friends from high school. She was going through a self-help book phase, and as I perused some of the ‘improve your life’ titles, this one caught my eye.

I flipped open to a random page, which advised purchasing numerous birthday candles and finding opportunities in your daily life to use them: on a whim, for a celebration, you just need a wish, because you’re cold.

We can chock it up as an impulse buy, as I definitely have no cracked it open since I purchased it, but it has followed me around the country as I’ve moved around since then, and I have consistently thought about this idea of celebrating every meal the way we celebrate birthday cake.  I’ve never actually done it, though. Until my third blog day came around.

blog day breakfast of carob cake proats w. creamy peanut butter, blueberries, and thawed frozen raspberry 'sauce'

I started the fun the day before–as I’d obviously need photos to use for the day of post–after Sister Smart and I made an “emergency” trip to the grocery store for candles.

sprinkles result in funfetti oatmeal

Start the day with a wish and sprinkles.

We should definitely do more of that. [Don't you think, Jenn?]

Even snacks seem more special when you’ve lit them up.

vanilla spice hemp protein mixed w. applesauce, puffed rice, crunchy nut cereal, love grown cranberry granola, and homemade honey sunflower seed butter

I made myself a blog-day-before carrot cake crust, based on Heather and Laura‘s sweet and savory cauliflower crust recipe(s).

carrot cake dessert crust topped w. raspberry vegan protein whipped cream, pears, strawberries, and carob powder

And celebrated the actual day by making a snack-sized version of Kath‘s Dough Boy Smoothie.

i almost lost the candle like i lost the peaches, blueberries, and peanut flour goop

If only my school would have allowed me to set things on fire every dayon my blog day.

i melted the candle anyway. did you know soup is hot?

It wouldn’t have seemed right NOT to make some Nutty Butter on my Blog Day.

german chocolate cake that made me say 'WOW' out loud

Obviously, the only dinner was one fit for the Queen (of Throwing ‘Ish’ in a Bowl).

everything i could find from the fridge...topped with nooch, tj's mediterranean hummus, mango red pepper salsa, avocado sauce, ketchup, and mustard

And even though you might say it was ‘Cho’ blog day.

all i can really say is CEREAL DUST. (and the rest of my vegan raspberry protein whipped cream w. a chocolate raspberry chobani bite)

In my narcissisticworld, it could only be mine. :)

apparently if you put sprinkles on it, plain chobani looks a LOT like vanilla icing

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 6, 2013 at 5:15 am

I love the travelling “3″. Maybe you should use it all year?!? :)

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:12 am

I’m considering buying a few more, since I accidentally melted this one (and it is slightly ketchup flavored now). :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 6, 2013 at 8:27 am

It’s not my birthday but I now want to put candles on everything I eat today. Thy would REALLY make the coworkers stare! Hahaha!

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:11 am

I thought making coworkers stare was our mutual goal in life?

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers March 6, 2013 at 8:41 am

Haha, I love this! You’re so fun and creative; it makes me happy you work with children. :)

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:12 am

It makes me happy to make YOU happy!

Liz @ I Heart Vegetables March 6, 2013 at 8:47 am

I’m SO happy you started blogging, because meeting you is what really made me fall in love with bloggers/blogging! Now it’s such a big part of my life, I hope you know what an influence you’e had on me!

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:10 am

And now…I’m tearing up.

Love you, and I wish we lived even closer than we do. [Why does an hour feel so FAR?!?!]

Maria March 6, 2013 at 11:17 am

Did I miss a post on this raspberry whipped cream? It sounds heavenly.

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:10 am

You didn’t miss it. [Come on, girl, you are my most loyal reader. If YOU missed it, then it must have been a REALLY tangential post. :) ] I’ll perfect the recipe this weekend, but it is very similar to the Apple Pie Whipped Cream, but with the added bonus (?) of protein powder.

Lift, Sleep, Eat March 6, 2013 at 11:30 am

hahah this is such a cool idea!!! It makes me want to go out and buy some candles now..I think post of my uni pals would think I’d lost the plot haha!

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:08 am

I don’t know whether I’m happier about you wanting to go buy candles, or that I now have a new British expression to use. [I think I 'lost the plot' a long time ago...]

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist March 6, 2013 at 12:05 pm

I love this idea. I look at my candles all too often bc they’re in the “junk” drawer in the kitchen, and I always wish I could use them more. Why not? Nobody will see (except all of instagram bc I know I’ll post it) and it’ll make me happy! I’m a giant child inside and candles and birthdays make me giddy.

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:07 am

We have so much in common. I think I might be permanently stuck in the mindset of a 10-year-old. Break out those candles! It is fun to light them, but even without a flame, it just makes things a but more fun. [Much like sprinkles....:)]

Kat @ a dash of fairydust March 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm

Aaaw,this is so cute! I just love candles,so vute and festive :)

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:06 am

They make every day a holiday!

Miss Polkadot March 6, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Can I just say I like you more with every of your posts – well, if that’s even possible, that is :D ?!
Lighting candles should definitely happen more often on special days all year or to make simple days special. Actually, I think I might need to go out and buy some birthday candles tomorrow …
Oh, and raspberry protein whipped cream?! Would you mind sharing the recipe?

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:06 am

This comment made my day. Seriously. I am so happy you found my blog and that, to quote Sally Field, “You like me, you really like me!”

As I mentioned to another reader, I’ve almost perfected the recipe, and hope to have it up to par by next week!

Laura@ Fit Running Mama March 6, 2013 at 5:49 pm

Everything looks SOOO good!! Rasberry protein whipped cream??!! recipe PLEASE

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:04 am

I am going to perfect the recipe this weekend…it is SO easy, and ‘almost there.’

Olivia @ Liv Lives Life March 6, 2013 at 9:29 pm

I like the idea of the traveling 3! So cute! And all of your eats look delicious!

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:03 am

Thank you! I’m serious about starting to carry “traveling” candles. You just never know when you might need them.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables March 7, 2013 at 9:31 am

I love all your bowl meals!! Can I borrow that three this fall? ;)

Sarah March 8, 2013 at 8:03 am

How about I buy you a new one? [That poor three is now slightly melted and slightly ketchup flavored. :) ]

Allie March 7, 2013 at 10:59 am

Everything is better when it’s on fire!! Errr, I mean, topped with candles…

Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily March 7, 2013 at 2:48 pm

Happy blog day!

Gina @Health, Love, and Chocolate March 7, 2013 at 8:18 pm

This is so fun, happy 3rd blogday! I also love the solid advice from a self help book, hah!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 13, 2013 at 8:15 am

Haha! It’s like the “roaming gnome”! Make me want to go out and by a broccoli character to photograph with all my eats for next WIAW! Haha!

“I melted the candle anyway. did you know soup is hot?” <- Dying…seriously, I really should go to bed if I lost it over this, right?

That bowl of -Ish….I want it ALL!!! Mmmmm!