I Must Confess…

by Sarah on March 3, 2013 · 12 comments

Having been unable to think of an appropriately quippy, hilarious, witty, or alliterative title to utilize for these Sunday Confession posts that were stolen without consent inspired by my more-than-blend Maria, I continue instead to rack my brain for any pop culture reference to confessions that will serve the purpose. And today, we find ourselves harkening back to the days when Britney Spears was still a guilty pleasure, pre- ‘it is OK to admit you love her!’ days, but not yet reaching the “poor misguided pop stars of America” phase of her infamy popularity.

My loneliness might get a bit irksome, but it’s not killing me (softly?), and while I won’t be putting on the uniform any time soon, I’ll make like a Catholic school girl for the moment and make my confessions anyway.

————————–

1. I have been sleeping on an air mattress for nine months. In a fit of ‘I just don’t feel like dealing with this’ frenzy, I sold the bed in my last house and was too cheap to commit never got around to buying a new one after I moved in June. Mama and Sister Smart came this weekend and brought me a bed. From my MawMaw’s house.

It resembles what might happen if we squirted mustard and ketchup all over Laura Ashley’s bedroom. Condiment lovers, be jealous.

2. Every time I eat a pear lately, it is like I’ve never had one before.I seriously marvel in how delicious they are. I’ve also become quite expert in knowing just when to cut them for perfect texture-flavor balance. (A difficult task, to be sure.)

the key to perfection is pressure at the stem.

3. Mama and Sister Smart and I went wine tasting yesterday. At the second winery, our very attractive tasting expert (Pourer? What do you call those people?) not only related every wine to food and mentioned that he was a vegetarian, the words ‘nutritional yeast’ came out of his mouth.

Let’s just say I might have internally swooned a little bit.

confession: this photo is from a different winery

4. I never wash my mushrooms. Instead I wipe them with a paper towel to get most of all of the dirt off, and then I break the stems out.

And I always eat the stems first.

5. The breakfast photos I put on Instagram are almost always taken in my car before I head to school (or in the school parking lot).

the light is just brighter than when i'm in my kitchen...

Five seconds after the above photo was taken, I spilled a huge portion of my oatmeal on the floor of my car. Since all you can see now is a bit of strawberry and granola, I’ll let you just imagine what happened to the oatmeal.

save the oatmeal, save the world

6. Almost 16 months (I think) since I ‘went vegan’ I finally started taking B Vitamin supplements. I actually do notice a bit of a difference in my energy level and mood. [Especially considering the winter tends to turn me into an Eeyore-esque mope.]

7. My third blog day is tomorrow. I decided this morning that I needed to put candles on everything I ate today (not the actual day, because I’d need to post pictures of the celebration on the actual day…duh), so before breakfast (but obviously after coffee), I went with Sister Smart to the grocery store and spent more than I probably needed tobut not as much as I could haveon birthday candles.

We also bought bananas for Mama Smart and my favorite lettuce, since it was on sale.

8. I have a favorite lettuce. (Who am I???)

9. Speaking of “emergency” grocery store runs, last Saturday night I rushed out to Trader Joe’s with the sole purpose of buying eggs. For reasons I will discuss at a later date, I have decided to start eating them again.

I cannot move past the idea that my first egg creation must be the best thing EVER,* so over a week later, I still have not opened the carton.

*Or the fact that in that picture the mushrooms are so glaringly white.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables March 3, 2013 at 2:21 pm

Happy Blog day!!! We must celebrate! I’m so glad that you finally got a bed. I was thinking I was just going to move you in with me. ;)
Get to making those eggs already!! Honey eggs for the win!

Liz @ iheartvegetables March 3, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Haha aww your poor oatmeal. I love that your pictures are in random places ;)

Maria March 3, 2013 at 3:38 pm

Aww. I called my grandmother MawMaw too when I was growing up (she’s since passed). I haven’t met anyone else who called their grandmother that. We are kindred spirits.

I love your bed! We slept on an air mattress when I moved to CA too. It deflated so we slept on the floor for a few nights as well. Do what you’ve got to do.

Eeep! Blog Day!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance March 3, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Ha–wine tasting love! :) I never wash mushrooms either. Confession: I’m lucky if I even decide to “waste” a paper towel. Sometimes, I just brush them off with my hands.

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist March 3, 2013 at 5:46 pm

That would be the proper way to clean mushrooms! Claps for you!
You totally should have asked for the pourer’s number! He sounds perfect :)
No worries, we don’t have any furniture. We moved to Memphis just over a year ago and sold all of our furniture before the move…and have yet to commit to buying new stuff. We sit in fold-out stadium seats and eat off the coffee table (the only thing we brought with us). It’s getting old.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 3, 2013 at 5:51 pm

1 – Did you get wine pourer guys number? Come on girl! ;)
2 – My papa taught my dad (who then taught me) about the stem trick with pears!
3 – Happy almost blog day!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table March 3, 2013 at 8:44 pm

I called my grandmother MamMaw! And I love your descrition on that bed. Spot on.

That wine tasting sounds divine. And the dude. I’m with Katie… did you get those digits???

HAPPY 3rd Birthday!!! A big proatmeal bowl (not spilled) of cheers to many more.

sarah @ sarah learns March 3, 2013 at 9:38 pm

i have not mastered the skill of pear ripeness determination yet – sadly. whenever i eat a pear that i “prepare” myself, i’m shocked by how much i don’t enjoy them because i always love them when i eat them at my mom’s house, etc. strange, right?

Lindsey @ Pas de Deux March 3, 2013 at 9:49 pm

The bed looks cute – I’m sure the red curtains really bring it all together ;-)

I’m going to jump on Katie and Laura’s bandwagon – did you get his phone number?!

Allie March 4, 2013 at 12:11 pm

YOU HAVE A BED! Rock on! And a really cute one at that!

I also bought a can of TJ’s coconut milk this weekend. I can’t wait to use it. Mmm, curry awaits!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 13, 2013 at 8:01 am

1. Hahaha! I will never to this day forget the magnificent BEAST of a salad I made months after I started blogging…I took it outside on the back deck to photograph it…and as I was walking back into the kitchen, my foot got hung up on the threshold and the ENTIRE contents of my salad went FLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYing across the kitchen floor! It took me AT LEAST 15 minutes to prepare that baby…and only about 2 minutes to pick it all up, put it back on the plate, sit down, and EAT IT! Muahahaha! How’s THAT for a Sunday (err, Wednesday?) confession?!
2. I never ever EVER wash my mushrooms! I actually heard on a cooking show once that you shouldn’t wash them, but wipe them off with a damp washcloth as they tend to soak up moisture and can get soggy…but, I rarely even wipe them off! Tee hee!
3. He said nutritional yeast?! Omg! #thingsthatmakeafoodieswoon
4. I love that you have a favorite lettuce!
5. That bed is fantabulous! I think you should have matching PJ’s! ;)
6. This is the best confession post of yours YET!
7. Ahh, I can’t stop at SIX…that’s like sacrilegious or something! Um…errr….banana! ;)