What I (Didn’t Calcul) Ate Wednesday

by Sarah on February 27, 2013 · 18 comments

I want to just say a giant THANK YOU to everyone who read and commented on my post about getting out of the calorie counting trap of obession/addiction that I had finally accepted I was in, and recognized that I needed to escape. It was a secret I kept for far too long. As I very rarely get too personal on the blog, I felt so supported and was reminded of why this community can be such a great gift. Thank you also for sharing your own experiences and struggles, and your offers of support. Don’t worry, I’m still goofy ol’ me…but I will try to peak out from behind the witty wordplay a little more often.

I actually wrote that post last Thursday, but it took me awhile to get up enough gumption to post it. It was easy to write, but difficult to post. I couldn’t sleep the night before worrying about it! For today, I thought I would share with you what I ate my first day of not tracking my calories.

Without further ado, I present to you, Jenn, and all of you supremely supportive friends through blogging, What I Didn’t Calcul-Ate Wednesday.The closest thing to a fruit or vegetable my body desired when I woke up Friday morning was a Carrot Cake Vitatop. Crumbled up on my proats and drizzled with homemade Maple Roasted Peanut Butter–which hardened up a bit by the time I got to school and consumed it–I’m pretty sure this might have been the best flavor combination I’ve come up with in awhile!

technically peanuts are legumes, and legumes are almost vegetable-like, right?

The truth is, I had a VERY good idea of how many calories were involved in that breakfast. Since I eat the same ‘base’ of oatmeal, oat bran, TVP, and protein powder almost every morning, the ‘numbers’ have become rather ingrained. The Vitatop blatantly advertises how many calories it has, so there was no denying that.

Lunch was a bowl of  Roasted Red Pepper, Grape, and  Tomato Vegan Bisque, with an assortment of other side items to choose from. [What can I say? I never know what I'm going to be in the mood for. :) ] I went with the veggies, Raw Kale Artichoke and Cannellini Spread, and two slices of Ezekiel Flax Bread (which is the perfect texture for dipping).

Oatmeal is my favorite post-school, pre-workout snack. It fills and fuels, but doesn’t mess with my stomach while running, so it is not uncommon to find me standing by the staff lounge microwave around 3:00 PM heating up a blend of oats, oat bran, flax seed, and TVP…sprinkled with the cinnamon I keep stored in my lunchbox.*

*For cinna-mergencies. Obviously.I really wasn’t hungry, and I was a bit carb-out for some reason, but I knew I needed to fuel myself before running, and I also really wanted any excuse to spoon peanut flour goop into my mouth.

the granola bar crumblies were super honey sweet and yummy...

Again, I was still very aware of the general amount of calories I had consumed so far that day. I also knew that post-run, I had probably burned almost all of them away.

i have had to start using only half a scoop of fitmixer…it has become way too sweet for me

I felt weighed down, though, so I made a giant salad monster, topped with one of my favorite combinations: nutritional yeast, Trader Joe’s Mediterranean Hummus, and the Santa Barbara Mango Peach Salsa from Costco.

That was just course number one. Course number two? A bowl ‘cho’ fun!*

*I love Chobani puns. In case you haven’t noticed on Instagram.

(man)go big or 'cho' home :)

I have told y’all this before, but one of my favorite things to do late at night, when I’m home alone….

this coconut 'powder' was a fabulously cheap find from the asian market

…is make nut butter.*

*What did you think I was going to say?

homemade coconut butter is always so drizzle-able when fresh!

The light of day revealed I had made not only plain coconut butter, but vanilla cinnamon, carob, and lemon ginger versions as well.As you can probably imagine, I did have to have a late night snack. When I went to visit Brittany, I was shocked to discover that we both had the habit of mixing our hemp protein with applesauce…and cereal. It is a light, tasty bedtime (or post-bedtime) treat.So that’s it. If I said it was easy to stop counting calories, I’d be lying. My mind still fights the urge to not keep a mental running tally. I’m trying to just eat and enjoy, and not worry about knowing (or NOT knowing) the numbers.

I’ll get there. I know.

Miss Polkadot February 27, 2013 at 4:41 am

Mmh, I’ll take a bowl of ‘cho fun and some of that coconut butter, please :D .

Stopping to count is definitely not easy to do when the numbers of about everything and anything are pretty much engraved in one’s head. But I’m sure you’ll get there – and I’ll hopefully do, too. What helps me at times is throwing some random, probably new-to-me ingredients in shortly before eating so I at least don’t know their count.

Danielle February 27, 2013 at 8:09 am

I’m so happy I stumbled on this post! You did an amazing job at your first day not counting calories. I struggled with really strict calorie counting for years and it’s definitely a process to break the habit but I was able to eventually and I feel amazing! I know you will be able to do the same :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 27, 2013 at 8:20 am

Good for you not counting! I guess it would be hard not too when you KNOW what’s in everything.

I only use 1/2 a scoop of Fitmixer now too, combined with my ACV + water. It’s way too sweet!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More February 27, 2013 at 8:48 am

I freaking heart you and please excuse me for being behind on my Google Reader (that happens so easily!) and need to go back and catch up. But I can already understand the challenge of breaking away from counting – I count from time to time as a “check-in” but sometimes when I’m feeling extra hungry, I find myself thinking things like “you’ve already hit your numbers for this part of the day, you don’t need more right now” when it fact, I DO!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance February 27, 2013 at 10:27 am

Great job! It takes time, and baby-steps, but you’ll get the hang of NOT counting the more of go with the flow. I’m clicking over to see these goops and butters . . . sounds interesting. :)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert February 27, 2013 at 10:30 am

I love gumption – you go girl.

Lift, Sleep, Eat February 27, 2013 at 11:08 am

It definitely isn’t easy to stop counting calories but good going!!
All your eats look really yummy too :D

Melissa @ Treats With a Twist February 27, 2013 at 12:41 pm

I’m really proud of you! I tried really hard not to count last night (just my dinner and Cho course…bc I’d already counted the whole day…) but then right before I went to bed I grabbed my notebook and scribbled it all down. Fail.
But, maybe I’ll get there too. It’s really hard to give it up, especially, like you said, when you eat something very similar every day and just know what you’re eating. Its not a terrible thing either, though. Just needs to be not so all-consuming.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 27, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I stopped counting calories a few months ago and it was definitely very difficult (and still is!), but I feel so much more free. Good luck with your journey! :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies February 27, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Hemp protein with applesauce and cereal – now that’s a new one to me!

Allie February 27, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I just commented on your last post, but I’m commenting again–THANK YOU for sharing. If only ending obsessions with calories was as easy as making the decision to stop tracking…but you sound like you’re on the right path! Lots of love and support coming from me :)

Sloane @SIF February 27, 2013 at 3:42 pm

Kudos to you with your no counting challenge. I’ve been trying to break that habit for a loooong time after being ADDICTED to the my fitness pal app, my polarUSA heart rate monitor, and carrying measuring spoons around with me in my purse and backpack, so I feel your pain. You’re right, is hard to “unlearn” something that is so engrained, but its so worth it! Thanks for sharing your journey, and your DELICIOUS eats! I wanna come to your house!

Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating February 27, 2013 at 4:19 pm

I’m so proud of you to working towards freeing yourself from calorie counting! Breakfast and the late night snack look amazing :)

Court Star @ StarSystemz February 27, 2013 at 8:40 pm

Great post :) I used to be a calorie counting nut + actually started losing more fat when I stopped counting + trusted my body to eat what it needed. Eating slow + of course healthy gave me a more relaxed way of eating and I have been losing fat (not muscle) much easier than before! Food looks amazing I may have to try this hemp protein + applesauce combo! I just bought the Trader Joes Hemp protein and not liking it to much, any suggestions on what you use? Thanks so much! Love + Shine CourtStar

Gina @Health, Love, and Chocolate February 28, 2013 at 3:30 am

I love this post just as much as your initial counting post. It just proves that letting go of the numbers is in fact possible, and it will only get easier each day!

Danica @ It's Progression February 28, 2013 at 11:59 am

Love the title of this post :)
And yes, you will get there!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables March 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

Woo-hoo!! (sorry I’m so behind!) You already know how proud I am of you! I think that you did a great job on your eats. In fact, you are making me hungry. Every night when I’m making my midnight snack, I think of you!! :)

Lele March 4, 2013 at 3:34 pm

Hurray hurray! It takes awhile but you get there. I put some avocado on my lunch today and realized I’d forgotten how many calories were in an avocado. It was a moment of personal triumph. (Also, the avocado was really good, obviously).