Vegan Apple Pie Whipped Cream

by Sarah on February 18, 2013 · 23 comments

Even though I was blessed to spend a long weekend in Kentucky as the house guest of my way-beyond-blend Brittany (a trip I will regale in perhaps excruciating detail over the next week), I could not let a Monday go by without participating in–also more-than-blendHeather‘s Meatless Monday A-Z challenge.

I’ve made it this far, there is no way I’m giving up now.

Xantham gum was actually one of my own suggestions for the letter X. Mostly because googling ‘foods that start with x’ didn’t produce any other results I couldn’t think of anything else that started with the letter, but also because I often see it listed in smoothie recipes or on salad dressing labels, and regularly had to answer questions about it–and the difference between it and its plant-derived (and less expensive) cousin, guar gum--when I was working at Central Market in Austin.

Research ensued, and I learned that xantham gum is a bacteria-derived thickening agent, most often used in gluten-free baking for its ‘gumming’ or textural transformation talents, salad dressings for its suspension skills, and sorbets or dairy-free frozen treats for creating creaminess.

lucky me, our local natural food store sells it in bulk so i didn't have to invest more than a dollar in my investigations

As a former fifth grade science teacher, I knew that the only way to truly understand this lab-based additive was to experiment.Turns out, it made almond milk thick enough to support my cereal obsession–in more ways than one. ;)

But could it be even thicker?

Maybe it is because I’m a teacher. Maybe it is because the little symbol for my website that I never knew was called a favicon until I had my blog redesigned is an apple. Or maybe I just have an excess of applesauce in my fridge at all times.

But I couldn’t get the idea of apple pie flavored whipped cream out of my mind.

And now my taste buds won’t be able to either.

This takes all of three minutes to make (and even less to devour), with the key being working immediately once adding the xantham gum.It gums VERY quickly, so you should either leave your blender running, or give up any thoughts of trying to take true step-by-step photos.As I’m not really sure what an appropriate serving size of xantham gum is, but I did discover that usually you use about 1/4-1/2 teaspoon per cup of liquid when baking, I might have overdone it a bit using 1/2 of a tablespoon.

But considering I was starting with straight up liquid at 100% viscosity, I guessed it wasn’t that bad.How you use it is up to you: dollop on actual pie or cobbler, scoop it into a yogurt bowl sprinkled with chocolate-covered amaranth……or eliminate the yogurt entirely and just eat a bowl of whipped cream.[With a cereal 'crust' of puffed rice, cinnamon squares, and Peanut Butter Toast Crunch, and 5-minute microwaved ginger-mon apples and blueberries.]

Because who wouldn’t want to do that?Vegan Apple Pie Whip

• 1 cup unsweetened (vanilla) almond milk
  • 2 Tbsp. unsweetened applesauce
  • 1/4 tsp. apple pie spice
  • 5 drops NuNaturals vanilla stevia [or 1/4 tsp. vanilla extract + sweetener of your choice]
  • 1/2 Tbsp. xantham gum
  1. Combine almond milk, applesauce, spice, and vanilla in a blender.
  2. Blend until well incorporated.
  3. WIth blender running, add in xantham gum.
  4. Blend until thickened.
  5. Store in refrigerator or serve immediately.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 18, 2013 at 10:05 am

I already know it, but this solidifies your status as a brilliant food-thinker. I’m going to me making all kinds of whipped non-cream! I’m thinking pumpkin pie…

Heather @ Better With Veggies February 18, 2013 at 10:24 am

Mmmm….whipped cream. Yummy idea and I like the suggestion of just adding that straight to cereal. Brilliant!

Kristina February 18, 2013 at 11:32 am

I knew you were going to do something fun, Miss Smart! and I love Love LOVE the sound of this (I keep meaning to share my flavored whips, but this takes the… pie?) :D

lindsay February 19, 2013 at 10:44 pm

she always does! love it! and now i need some apple pie nutty butter to go ontop!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 18, 2013 at 12:10 pm

I’m not vegan, but this sounds delicious! I love your creativity in the kitchen!!

Laura @ Mommy Run Fast February 18, 2013 at 12:39 pm

Oh wow, that sounds amazing. I really need to start experimenting with xanthan gum… so many possibilities!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 18, 2013 at 1:16 pm

OMG woman! This is AWESOME!! So creative! The only thing I could think to come up with was… a smoothie. :)
I am thinking that you could make this pumpkin pie whipped cream also, right? (Since I always have excess pumpkin on hand!)

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance February 18, 2013 at 3:25 pm

This is definitely a creative recipe! How the heck did you ever come up this combination and technique?! Impressive!

Danica @ It's Progression February 18, 2013 at 4:25 pm

yum!!!

Debbie (Accidently Delish) February 18, 2013 at 5:18 pm

i dont have xantham gum, but goodness, i’m thinking about making this without it! seriously i always want to make everything you create. can you just ship me all your extras? thanks!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables February 18, 2013 at 8:47 pm

(so I about just commented as you. You were still logged into my computer… Whoops) I’m still sad you are gone BUT I’m so glad you recreated this! I’m ordering xanthan gum on my next Vitacost order!

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert February 19, 2013 at 9:00 am

So glad you had a nice long weekend. And this recipe is so creative – love your adventurous side :)

Leanne February 19, 2013 at 7:18 pm

I just made this and added cocoa to it. Combined it with some Greek yogurt. Very tasty. Has anyone made this and frozen it? Think it would work ok?

Sarah February 20, 2013 at 9:04 am

I did try to freeze it once, and it didn’t work quite like I had hoped. It was still a little icy, even though the xantham gum is supposed to help eliminate that. I’m thinking that might be because I hadn’t blended it well enough first or because applesauce is so watery, though, and I really want to try it again…maybe with banana or pumpkin in it instead of applesauce.

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 19, 2013 at 10:00 pm

All that I have to say about this recipe is WOW. I had no idea that you could make a vegan whipped cream. But then again, it seems like you can make almost anything vegan! I love it :) .

Allie February 22, 2013 at 9:40 am

Okay, while your toppings are spectacular, yup, I’d have to go for the straight-with-a-spoon option! I had to skip out on this MMAZ ’cause I didn’t have xantham gum/want to buy a bunch of it–didn’t think to look for it in bulk! I do have guar gum though, so I may need to get experimental…

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 12, 2013 at 1:08 pm

A half a tablespoon and it didn’t taste like chewing gum?! Wow! This is show of sheer brilliance…and culinary courage my dear foodie friend! If you just told me this was an idea of yours, I never would have thought it would work…but you ARE the queen of kitchen experiments! How dare I doubt your prowess! ;)

Kylie March 18, 2013 at 11:20 am

oh my lordy!!! this looks so good — I’ve been trying to find a great vegan whip and I think I found it. Obsessed with Penzy’s spices btw. Need that apple pie one asap! thanks for the great recipe pretty :]

Jaclyn July 5, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I wanted some kind of fluffy mixture to go with my apple pancakes that was dairy free and didn’t use coconut or tofu and you have blessed me with it. Love this, thank you :) xx

Sarah July 7, 2013 at 12:25 pm

I’m so happy I could help. ;)