Mango Peach + Olive Salsa

by Sarah on February 8, 2013 · 21 comments

Things you would expect to find at a bonfire in Deep South Georgia:*

*Yes. All three should be capitalized. It is a proper noun methinks. [No place like it, Mama Smart would say.]

aside from the fire of course.

Venison chili with all of the fixins’ (including the Texas-traditional Fritos).

not to be confused with the fact that we are all fixin' to eat.

The Southern party staple of cream cheese and pepper jelly.

how i wish my lactose-averse stomach would let me eat that...

Things you would not expect to find at a bonfire in Deep South Georgia:Something only a freaky foodie would dream up. Mango…peach…and olives?

In salsa?

iloved it so much, i made it for mama smart's surprise party two nights later.

I was immediately struck by “How is this so good?” rapture (that I swear cannot be attributed to the fact that it was one of the only non-dairy veg-friendly items on the potluck side dish table).

And while this might not be a recipe, per se…*

*Nor is it Thomas Keller’s NYC restaurant.

yes, i do buy that giant tub of salsa for just me.

It is simply too deliciously weird (weirdly delicious?) not to share.

You could serve it–as I first tried it–with chunked avocado on top. However I found that the Citrus Avocado Dressing stolen from my friend Alex works just fine, too.

quinoa-stuffed sweet potatoes love the stuff.

Or just grab your salsa spoonand dig in!

wait. you don't eat salsa with a spoon?

Because we all know salsa is better straight up. :) —————————

Even though Heather told me my salsa-fied sweet potato wasn’t all that strange, I’m linking up to Laura’s Strange But Good celebration of fooddities anyway. ;) [Make sure to salsa your way on over to her blog today!]

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table February 8, 2013 at 12:17 am

If you come to MY part of Georgia this would certainly make an appearance! ;)

Thanks ofr linking up yet another amazing creation. And for the Per Se reference. It tickled my inner foodie.

Johnathan - I'm losing 84 lbs in 84 Days! February 8, 2013 at 3:21 am

First time on your blog and I’m thrown right into Mango Salsa and Olives! WoW! Two things I love… I used to do the cream cheese and pepper jelly. I was first introduced to that a couple of years ago during Thanksgiving by my brother-in-law

Of all the times I’ve purchased mango salsa and olives, I’ve never once combined them. Now, I have reasons for both. I was hoping to find a recipe for my own mango salsa to limit the sugar (refined sugar) that gets added to a lot of packaged items. I’ll keep my eyes open.

The quinoa-stuffed sweet potatoes really grabbed my attention. I’m gathering recipes that hopefully are amazing beyond belief for after I complete my juice fast and lose the 84 pounds I gained. Once I lose the weight I plan on maintaining and eating healthy… one savory bite at a time.

Manu February 8, 2013 at 5:50 am

I love salsa! I don’t think I’ve ever tried any other than tomato though! This looks so delicious!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count February 8, 2013 at 7:27 am

This sounds really good, Sarah! I’m ok with anything that has olives in it!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance February 8, 2013 at 8:15 am

I can actually imagine that this combo would be outstanding! Sweet with salty! And besides the fact that I LOVE all things salsa . . . . great idea!

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile February 8, 2013 at 8:20 am

Yum!!! I love sweet and salty combo. There’s just something about fruit in salsa that is sooo good.

Kristina February 8, 2013 at 8:35 am

can I use kalamatas? :) plain black olives… meh. otherwise, I love this idea – you are once again a creative genius.

…I used to do that cream cheese topped with jelly. oh, so good. but I’d use brie. ohhhh soooo goooood. never had venison, though – my little vegetarian heart broke back in college when I found my housemate’s boyfriend cooking venison in our kitchen – GAAAAH!

Alison February 8, 2013 at 9:16 am

I have that mango peach salsa in my fridge right now and it is so darn good!! Had it with salmon over spinach last night….Yum!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 8, 2013 at 10:10 am

I think I would like to try all of those foods! And I would dive right into that cream cheese/pepper jelly… omg. The combo of SALSA and cream cheese is one of my faves.
Yes, the idea of olives and mangoes does sound a bit odd.. but of COURSE I’d try it! I’m sure it’s fabulous. :)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert February 8, 2013 at 10:42 am

Venison chili and pepper jelly and cream cheese – yes and yes. And yes on the bonfire in Georgia. Love olives but the combo does sound a little different :) Stop by today and leave a comment so you can be entered to win my giveaway!

Danica @ It's Progression February 8, 2013 at 11:48 am

I love seeing your “weird” food experiences….I may not be risky enough to make this one, but you inspire me to experiment with what I have! :)

Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 8, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Fruit in salsa is SO good. I would never think to add olives into the mix, though. Awesome idea!

Lift, Sleep, Eat February 8, 2013 at 12:57 pm

Mmm that salsa sounds delicious!! I love peach in salsa it just adds an extra something to it!

Heather @ Better With Veggies February 8, 2013 at 2:24 pm

Love the flavors – strange or not, it sounds fabulous! :) I vote for food blogger commune – so we could all eat each others creations all the time. :)

Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness February 8, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I wouldn’t have thought of putting those together but it sounds really good, I love peaches, olives and mangoes on there own so i’m sure they would be good together. Too bad most of my friends dont eat olives…. or maybe thats good…. more salsa for me!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables February 8, 2013 at 5:48 pm

mmmm yes please? This sounds so good. I love olives right now. I can’t get enough!

I’m so excited about some strange but good combos that we will concoct while you are here!

Kristen @ notsodomesticated February 8, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I’m with you on the mango and peach … but I just can’t do the olives. I am not a fan of olives, in any recipe. But I always love your creativity! ;)

Allison @ Life's a Bowl February 9, 2013 at 12:48 pm

I love that salsa, especially in the hot spring and summer months- it’s got the right little sweet twist :) And I love olives, thought I never would have thought to add them to salsa [black beans, definitely]… This sounds delic!

Ayzada February 9, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I love your creative food ideas! sounds so good.
I love making smoothie bowls with my protein powder, which I blend with milk, frozen fruit, and top with cereals. It’s almost better than ice cream. I would love the company to make a mint chocolate chip flavor

Jennifer February 11, 2013 at 8:41 am

Sounds like something I would/could try and do! Great post!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli March 12, 2013 at 12:25 pm

Dude! How did I miss this?! Lovvvvvvve it! …though I really can’t believe I’ve not thought of the combo before since I’m so gosh darn smitten with olives <- wow, did I really just say that?! Haha! I need to find some of those low salt ones! That's the only bad thing about my love for olives…my UN-love for salty stuff! :-/