Sweet Potato Vodka (Pizza) Pie Crust [#MMAZ]

by Sarah on January 28, 2013 · 13 comments

Drink too much. Eat pizza.

For some, this is a common course of events.But what if it’s your pizzathat’s drunk?

soaking up some vodka...

Having not purchased vodka since college, when we for some reason thought vodka, limeade, and the ill-fated soda known as Vault Zero was something that actually tasted good, I was very hesitant to enter the ABC store and take that one-whiff-will-do-it trip down memory (or lack thereof) lane.

But I did it for Heather, and the fact that I have made it this far in her Meatless Mondays A-Z challenge and wasn’t about to back out now.

So, what to do with the vodka?

I’ve always been a big fan of vodka sauce, but I also have read a lot–if by a lot, you mean a few cooking articles here and there–about how the addition of vodka to dough is supposed to make perfect pie crust.

And that got me thinking: if vodka makes a perfect pie crust, might it also make a perfect pizza (pie) crust?

Of course, I could have made a standard, yeast-based dough recipe, and simply substituted vodka for some of the water. I thought about that, I really did. But usually when I decide I want something for dinner, or lunch, or afternoon snack (as the case may be), I don’t want to wait around.

Instead, I simply adapted an actual pie crust recipe to my pizza-craving needs.With sweet potato.I mean…why not? :)

The result was actually better than I could have even imagined. With the speed and ease of making a “lazy baker” pie crust, but I had a pizza base that was somehow simultaneously doughy and yet also crisp and flaky.

(Vodka apparently reduces the build up of gluten in a crust, thereby also reducing tough texture and resulting in the aforementioned soft flakiness.)

It was pretty incredible.

So incredible I almost wished I had bought a bigger bottle of vodka.

Almost.

Sweet Potato (Pizza) Pie Crust w. Vodka

• 1 cup (250g) baked, mashed sweet potato
  • 1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp. vodka
  • 2 Tbsp. ground golden flax seed
  • 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
  • 2 tsp. dried thyme
  • 2 tsp. dried sage
  • 1 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a food processor, combine all ingredients except vodka.
  3. Pulse–or process quickly–until ingredients come together in a wet dough.
  4. Pour in vodka. Pulse a few times to mix in.
  5. Spread dough on a cooking sprayed baking sheet. [It will be a bit sticky and loose, but will spread with a spatula, or your fingers. ;) ]
  6. Par-bake crust for about 5 minutes. Remove from oven. [Press down dough and spread a bit further, if desired.]
  7. Add sauce and toppings. Return to the oven and bake 10-15 more minutes.

———————————

So, you might recall–considering it was just at the beginning of the post and all–that I referred to this pizza as being drunk(en). You might be thinking, “I know you barely drink at all, Miss Smart, but a wee bit of vodka in the crust is NOT enough to get my pizza flat on the floor.”

True.

But what about if there is vodka in the sauce, too?

Along with another very special ingredient…But we’ll get to that tomorrow. :)

Fran@BCDC January 28, 2013 at 5:53 am

This sounds Very good!

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 28, 2013 at 6:09 am

This dough sounds incredible!!! I’m coming over for pizza! ;)

Kaila @healthyhelperblog! January 28, 2013 at 7:19 am

This looks so unique! I am always looking for ww pizza curst recipes! Can’t wait to try it out !

Liz @ iheartvegetables January 28, 2013 at 7:40 am

Hahahaha Vodka limeade and vault soda… did we have the same college experience? ;) That pizza looks so good though! YUM

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 28, 2013 at 9:09 am

My mom makes the vodka pie crust and it is legit. Did you know you can also add is bit to the mix when you make ice cream and it will help it now to get icy?

Normally I’m too lazy to makes real pizza crust… But this may have to happen. Stat.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 28, 2013 at 9:59 am

Also, did you know there is a sochu (like sake) that is made from sweet potatoes? It’s delish… and only 50% proof!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 28, 2013 at 9:45 am

You’re so creative, I can’t stand it! I would definitely give this pizza a try. :)

Kristina January 28, 2013 at 9:55 am

vault zero?! what the…

I have done the pie crust thing, it DOES work! I LOVE the sound of this, though – and the sweet potato? why. not. indeed.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert January 28, 2013 at 11:41 am

That is so creative! I’ve heard vodka is good in a crust but never tried it. Congratulations on another wonderful recipe. Hope you are doing great!

sara @ fitcupcaker January 28, 2013 at 4:08 pm

interesting, I usually dont put vodka in anything I cook lol…

lindsay January 28, 2013 at 9:39 pm

can we make a wine infused pizza next? just sayin…

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 29, 2013 at 12:53 pm

I have never heard the pizza crust and vodka thing – very interesting. And now I’ll have to test this out myself. Although I always have vodka, so no need to buy any more. :)

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli February 7, 2013 at 3:54 am

Omg, WHY do I have to have a teeny weeny baby food processor?! I swear I thought the whole blender slash food processor thing was a good idea until I had cauliflower popping out all over my kitchen counter the other day! *grumble* Hmm, maybe I could try mixing it by hand?