There is a secret, strange ingredient.
I know most people believe granola should be super sweet. And this one does have a hint of sugar from maple syrup and agave mixed in with the flax (seed) egg and vanilla extract.But after
uncontrollably devouring tasting the Scat! Bar granola over the summer, and determining the unusual addition of nutritional yeast MUST be what made it so astoundingly addictive.
So I gave it a try.
And if I told you this granola didn’t super-seed every one of my expectations, well, the fact that only about half of it made it from the pan and into tup-faux-ware for storage would be evidence of my de-seed.*
*De-seed…de-ceit? Maybe? No?Don’t worry, it doesn’t taste like the faux cheese that nutritional yeast is often used to create. In fact, as long as you stir it well and avoid any yeasty clumps–although kind of yummy ;)–you probably won’t even notice it is there.But the slightly sweet, subtly spiced, and supremely savory combination of ingredients is something that can only be tasted to trust.
[Makes 3 1/2 Cups]
- 1 cup + 2 Tbsp. rolled oats
- 1/4 cup raw almonds
- 3 Tbsp. chopped pecan pieces
- 3 Tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 Tbsp. unsalted pepitas [green pumpkin seeds]
- 2 Tbsp. hulled, unsalted sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp. chia seeds
- 1 Tbsp. hemp seeds
- 3 Tbsp. nutritional yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 Tbsp. ground flax seed + 2 Tbsp. water [flax ‘egg’]
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp. agave nectar
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the flax and water.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine oats, nuts, seeds, nutritional yeast, spices, and salt.
- Once flax ‘egg’ has gelled, stir into it the maple syrup, agave, and vanilla extract.
- Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients.
- Mix well to coat.
- Spread granola out onto an aluminum baking sheet with edges, or a metal baking pan.
- Bake 15 minutes, and remove from oven. Stir well.
- Return to oven and bake 5-15 minutes more, depending on your oven.
- Allow granola to cool completely before storing. [It will continue to crisp as it cools.]