Pomegranate Honey Mustard Hummus [#WIAW]

by Sarah on January 9, 2013 · 16 comments

We can blame the existence of winter on these.

Yes, indeed, the little pop of pom known as the aril is the reason we suffer through the months of dark and dreary.

specifically, six of them.

All because Hades lured the lovely Persephone out of her ‘I love my mama’  hunger strike with six simple pomegranate seeds and Zeus was so angry he banished her [and consequently all of us....for eternity...] to the Underworld for the cold, barren winter months through which we now are just beginning to suffer.

You didn’t think we’d have Greek Week without a little mythology lesson, did you?

But I’ll tell you what, Jenn and all you What I Ate Wednesday goddesses… I probably would have succumbed to the pressure of the pom, too.

I figured it was only right, during Greek Week, to commit a little pom-icide as a sacrifice to the (culinary) gods.And aside from eating them with my fingers–why even bother with a spoon, really—they have found themselves being sprinkled all over everything.

chocolate coconut proats w. blackberries, poms, and love grown apple walnut granola

They make a great pop pom of color.

maple cinnamon PB2 on a whole wheat english muffin w. poms + chocolate-covered amaranth

And while admit I didn’t get all that weird or wild with the spritely seeds themselves

chobani w. puffed rice + graham cereal, crumbles lemon cookie, poms, blackberries

[Unless pairing them with my Greek Spinach Balls in my lunchbox is anything but muse-inspired?]

…I did go a little crazy with some pomegranate JUICE. I warned you when we started this week to hold on to your hummus……because I might have made my strangest version yet.

Garbanzo beans, roasted garlic, tahini, honey mustard, and pomegranate juice come together with some pepper flakes and thyme to create a slightly spicy, slightly sweet, slightly strange version of the marvelous Mediterranean treat.

Strange but true. Strange but good.*

*Sorry, Laura, it’s two days early. I have my reasons. I could go through a rigamorole about how pomegranates really aren’t that sweet, and that mustard pairs beautifully with fruit, but you might just have to trust me on this one. :)

Pomegranate Honey Mustard Hummus

• 1 14.5-oz. can of garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
  • 2 Tbsp. honey mustard [although I think spicy brown or dijon would also be amazing]
  • 1 Tbsp. tahini
  • 1 1/2 tsp. dried thyme leaves
  • 1/4-1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/4-1/2  tsp. dried red pepper flakes

Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Process until smooth, adding water a tablespoon at a time, as needed, to reach your desired consistency.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 9, 2013 at 12:38 am

Early works… better than late, which is typically my issue. LOL!

I love this! Pomegranate is actually best in more savory dishes, IMHO. There’s a Persian restaurant here that does an amazing pom-chicken soup. I die.

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count January 9, 2013 at 7:25 am

I love hummus in any form and I think this sounds delicious!

Jessie January 9, 2013 at 8:11 am

It may be a strange combo, but I personally think it sounds amazing!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 9, 2013 at 9:20 am

That is definitely an interesting combination!! I love pomegranates, and I love hummus . . . I wonder if I’d love them combined?

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 9, 2013 at 12:22 pm

Mmm….this combination sounds fantastic (and yet again, not really weird to me). I have also decided that scooping seeds out of poms is way to hard for me, so I buy the cup of seeds. :) I am lame, I know.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert January 9, 2013 at 12:30 pm

Oh a Manager’s Special! So proud of you. I have a big bowl of these beauties for lunch today. Yum – but not so sure about the hummus – ha ha.

Nikki @ The Road to Less Cake January 9, 2013 at 1:36 pm

Wow. That sounds like an interesting and exciting houmous. I’ve never thought about putting fruit in it.

Calee January 9, 2013 at 4:27 pm

before I got to the part that had Laura’s “strange but good” graphic, I was like, “dude, you can use this for WIAW AND strange but good!”. :) you are cute.

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 9, 2013 at 7:41 pm

This is great. I love pomegranates and I’ve officially learned some Greek mythology today. Thanks.

lindsay January 10, 2013 at 7:12 am

you had me at hummus, then mustard, then POMEGRANATE!! Where’s your cookbook? i need!

Eating 4 Balance January 10, 2013 at 2:37 pm

I just have to say that I love your take on WIAW! And your pictures are as beautiful as ever. What did you dip into the hummus? It seems like one of those flavors that pairs really well with certain things.

Allie January 11, 2013 at 2:52 pm

I <3 you for Greek mythology references! And for manager's specials. Yesss.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli January 24, 2013 at 6:17 am

Oh my goll! ;) Yeah, it took me a little bit of time to unfix my eyes from the beauty of those last couple of pictures! I swear we were separated at birth…I mean it! Mustard? AND pomegranate? In HUMMUS?!!? Just fyi, my heart is welling with long-lost-sister love at the moment! xoxo