Orange Mustard Soy Roasted Cabbage

by Sarah on January 22, 2013 · 13 comments

In addition to obsessively, constantly, ‘do I ever turn the oven off?roasting turnips and squash (of all varieties), I have another addiction that has developed this winter I am not reallytrying to get under control.

i cook them so i can eat them cold. but that's another story for another day.

Cabbage.

Cooked.*

*Some might say roasted, but I couldn’t avoid the attractiveness of alliteration.Although normally I just spray it with olive or canola oil and sprinkle with a favorite seasoning blend, the way I roast turnips–

oh beloved whole foods chimichurri seasoning---what is IN you???

–occasionally I like to get a little bit more creative.*

*creative [adj.] a more alluring term for ‘attempting to use up odds and ends in the fridge’Whole Foods Dijon Mustard might be so flippin’ delicious that it is worth breaking out the tiny spoon for scraping out every last bit–

it is the perfect mustard.

—but sometimes you just have to wonder, “Why use only one type of mustard when you could use three?”Pouring in some orange juice instead of oil was a desperate brilliant move of ‘I am shocked that is still good’ inventiveness.And while a sprinkle of salt and pepper are key to the start of any good roasting adventure……a little extra saltiness from the subtle umami savoriness of soy (or Bragg’s liquid aminos) is simply too seductive to avoid.There’s really no need to make a marinade, or a glaze, or whatever term you want to use for “flavor enhancing liquid whisked together in a separate bowl and then poured on top of your dish.” As far as I’m concerned, that is just an extra dish to wash.

this also gives you a chance to make it up to the spoon that was too big to scoop the remaining mustard out of the bottle

Bake, cook, roast–choose your own oven adventure–at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until soft, and perhaps slightly crispy on the edges.

Cabbage.

Consumed.

Orange Mustard Soy Roasted Cabbage

[Makes 4-6 cups]*

*All amounts are approximate. Adjust to taste.

• 1 small head of cabbage, chopped [about 8 cups]
  • s + p
  • 3-4 Tbsp. mustard(s) of your choice
  • 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, tamari, or liquid aminos
  • 1/4 cup orange juice

Combine all ingredients in a 9 x 13″ baking dish.

Stir well to coat.

Bake for 15-25 minutes at 400 degrees, until cabbage is soft (with crisping edges).

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance January 22, 2013 at 7:46 am

Right on with roasting!!! I’ve got to try roasting cabbage though–it’s one thing I haven’t tried yet!

Sarah January 22, 2013 at 9:27 pm

I thought about you when I wrote this post! You MUST do it.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table January 22, 2013 at 8:08 am

I roasted cabbage this week too! I went Indian with curry and coconut oil. Must explore other parts of Asia…

Lindsay's List January 22, 2013 at 8:14 am

have you ever JUICED cabbage? my acupuncturist recommended it. I’m a little hesitant.

Sarah January 22, 2013 at 9:26 pm

I would be a little hesitant, too. I have a feeling that the amount of cabbage necessary to create a sufficient amount of juice would wreak havoc on my system. I mean, considering the state I’m in after just eating a rather excessive amount of this…well, let’s just say there might not be enough kombucha in the world to help with that.

sara @ fitcupcaker January 22, 2013 at 12:08 pm

I love cabbage :) Now I want to make some!

Sarah January 22, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Get on it! It’s so cheap, too…what have you got to lose? :)

Heather @ Better With Veggies January 22, 2013 at 3:03 pm

I have only recently discovered the fabulousness of roasted cabbage. It may not be pretty, but it is so good and satisfying! :) Love this!

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning January 22, 2013 at 4:59 pm

Yummm to everything!! :) And I roast squash so I can eat it cold too. Doesn’t everybody? :)
Have you ever had a rutabaga? I bought my first one the other day. I plan on roasting it…

Sarah January 22, 2013 at 9:24 pm

YUM! Love rutabaga. (Even though I always spell it wrong.) Roasted is best, although I know a lot of people like to mash it like potatoes. I think it actually has a bit of a milder taste than turnips (less…acidic maybe?) and is also really tasty in a chunky, rosemary tomato sauce over pasta.

Meghan@CleanEatsFastFeets January 22, 2013 at 9:12 pm

I like your lovely little post, which is equally attractive as copious amounts of alliteration.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli January 23, 2013 at 10:52 pm

BRILLIANCE!!!! Why have I never thought to bake/roast/cook cabbage before?! Omg, WHYYYYYYYY?! And you KNOW I’ve got my ticket to that mustard train! Choo choo! ;)