Smoky Sweet Potato, Kale, and Tomato Stew

by Sarah on December 7, 2012 · 13 comments

I mean…how could I NOT?Buy two.

Of course, when you are in the habit of overbuying produce, and frequenting (as frequently as you can) places like Costco to buy food for, well, just you…fridge space at the start of the week can be in high demand.

The solution? Cook those greens!

After all, the let down that is watching a giant pile of greens morph into a miniscule mess in a hot pot might be tragic for volumetrics, but it certainly helps consolidate the produce in your fridge. The ‘smoke’ in this Soup of the Week comes not from chipotle or campfire condensed into liquid. No ma’am (or sir). It comes from the subtle warmth of my constant cumin companion, and one of my favorite, undervalued spices: smoked paprika.This stew is about as simple to prepare as they come. Chop and onion. Chop some garlic. Peel a sweet potato and chop that too. Saute the mess in oil or steam it in a bit of water…then season heavily.A dash (or twenty) of ground coriander and allspice help round out the flavors of the tomato base quite nicely.Once those sweet li’l taters* get soft–and if you chop ‘em small, it won’t take long–wilt in the chopped (or baby) kale.

*Why is it that every time I talk about sweet potatoes my fake Southern upbringing rears its grammatically incorrect hillbilly accent head?And, well, that’s it. Not much easier than that. Of course, it will–as always–taste better the next day…or five days later, which is why it makes a perfect Soup of the Week: it is a full flavor Friday during lunch. :)

You could add beans, or de-veganize it with some form of poultry, and then top it off with a dollop of sour cream…but I’ll stick to my Chili Lime Pistachio Cream.

Now…put THIS in your pipe pot and smoke it!

Smoky Sweet Potato, Kale, and Tomato Stew

(Serves 6-8)

• 1 1/2 cup diced sweet onion (185g)
  • 3 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 3 cups diced, peeled sweet potato (350g)
  • 10 oz. chopped or baby kale
  • 2 14.5-oz. cans no-salt-added diced tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
  • 2 tsp. coriander
  • 3-4 tsp. ground cumin
  • 3-4 tsp. smoked paprika
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
  • 1-2 tsp. chili powder
  • 1/8 tsp. allspice
  1. Add onion and garlic and 1/4″ water to a large soup pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
  2. Once onion steams and softens, add sweet potato and spices. Stir well.
  3. Cook 5minutes, stirring regularly.
  4. Add tomatoes and water or broth to the pot. Bring to a simmer.
  5. Cook until sweet potatoes begin to soften, adding more broth or water if necessary.
  6. Once potatoes are nearly to the biteability you desire, stir in kale.
  7. Cooke until kale is wilted.
  8. Serve immediately, or wait until a day or two later for best flavor!

———————————-

You might have noticed that I often get so carried away with the vegetables–What can I say? Chopping is catharctic– that I don’t have room in the pot for forget to add protein. That’s why I absolutely love breads or snacks that supply the midday protein punch I need.Back in the beginning of the school year, I was lucky enough to receive samples of The Simply Bar’s Simply Protein Chips. You all know my obsessive love for The Simply Bar was well established, so it should come as no surprise that I similarly swooned for these light, crispy seasoned puffs of pea protein.With 15g of protein in each pack, I found them just right for packing (for) and snacking (at) school.The Herb taste a lot like they are covered in my Dill Pickle Seasoning-not surprising, when you compare ingredients–while the Chili has an underlying heat that sneaks up on you…especially when you pair it with an already spicy Caribbean-style stew.Either way, I am so grateful to have had the opportunity to try them. They certainly help an obsessive herbivore keep her protein intake where it should be. :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 7, 2012 at 6:49 am

Thanks for the tip on adding allspice. I’ll try that in my next tomato-y creation. Maybe still with the cinnamon? Mmmm!

I want those protein chips!!! They sound perfect for my crazy protein-loading diet!

Fran@BCDC December 7, 2012 at 7:47 am

The stew looks delicious and as you say, Simple! Love things like that! I never see kale packaged that way in the stores where I shop. Frustrating. Love the idea of the protein chips. Since I gave up chips, I wonder if they count, they don’t actually look like chips.

Allie December 7, 2012 at 9:50 am

Manager’s speciallll! And Costco! Seriously, can we go cheap-in-bulk shopping together? And then come up with ways for single ladies to use ridiculous amounts of produce before it goes bad? The freezer is my friend. As are stews–and the crockpot.

Allie December 10, 2012 at 4:04 pm

So you saw on IG–but I made this soup! With some quinoa and TVP thrown in for protein. Perfect seasoning, warm and filling for suddenly cruddy weather! <3 soup. Now if only I had some crunchy chip goodness to sprinkle on top/scoop it up with…

Sarah December 13, 2012 at 10:12 am

We just need to be roommates. Obviously.

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert December 7, 2012 at 12:39 pm

This really sounds great – I bet it hits the spot – you know that one that tells you it’s time to eat?! Merry Christmas little blog daughter :)

Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate December 7, 2012 at 11:28 pm

Ha ha I definitely did not realize how much baby kale wilted until I made a sauteed kale salad with it for Thanksgiving and I ended up with one serving…

Tt in nyc December 8, 2012 at 12:28 am

I am soooo jealous of your awesome managers specials you find! This is such a great idea- i love smoked paprika but kinda forgot about it…
I often put my stew-soups ontop of a quinoa/edamame mix or add baked tempeh slices to make it more filling and to mix up the leftovers :)

Liz @ iheartvegetables December 9, 2012 at 10:52 am

Oh my gosh, that sounds SO good, Sarah. I’m still not totally over my kale-kick. This looks delicious!!!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables December 9, 2012 at 4:44 pm

Yuumm!! I get my seasonings at World Market too!! :) Could I sub bnut squash for the sweet potato.. Cool kids like me are allergic to sweet potatoes! :/

Sarah December 13, 2012 at 10:11 am

Yes, you definitely could include butternut squash instead! [I only chose the sweet potato because I happened to already have one at home...and I'm frugal like that. :) ]

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli December 10, 2012 at 6:49 am

Omg, I swear we are kindred spirits…the amount of bulk produce I buy (and actually EAT) could easily feed a (normal) family of four! Haha! And just this weekend, knowing I already had a half a pound of spinach at home, went to the farmer’s market and bought kale AND collard greens! Guess I’ll be trying to counteract my winter squash glow with some greens this week! ;)

Why is it that every time I talk about sweet potatoes my fake Southern upbringing rears its grammatically incorrect hillbilly accent head? <- Literally busted out laughing at this! But try as I might, I just can't use the word "taters"! Lol

Heather @ Better With Veggies December 10, 2012 at 12:34 pm

I’m trying to make a shopping list for this week so we can actually have real food in our house this week (last week was…interesting) and this sounds amazing! Great combo of flavors and I am so in love with soup right now!