Freakishly Weird. Strangely Good.

by Sarah on December 21, 2012 · 14 comments

When my friend through blogging, Laura, announced she was going to start a Strange But Good link-up ‘party’ on her blog every Friday, to celebrate the odd recipes and food creations that an ever-growing niche of us weird foodie bloggers concoct, all I could think was:

“But my LIFE* is strange but good.”

*And by life, I mean food choices. But food is life. Right? I startedand quickly forgot about, as I often do–my own little personal blog ‘series’ of Freaky Friday creations, a year or so ago, and since The Great Smart Kitchen discovery of combining spaghetti squash, nutritional yeast, sauerkraut, hummus, Wickles Pickles relish, and Mrs. Renfro’s pomegranate salsa...

…things have just gotten weirder.

baked potato stuffed with sauerkraut, hummus, nutritonal yeast, and covered in ketchup (more was added post-picture, obviously)

Sprouts and crumbled (raw) tofu on soup? [And, oh wait, that's not soup...it is a bowl of Vegan Pumpkin Gravy.]

Delicious.Apple-cnnamon roasted delicata squash rings with peanut butter drizzle on oatmeal for breakfast?

Amazing.I don’t like chips…unless they are broken up pieces from the bottom of the bag.*

*And no, crumbling them yourself doesn’t count.

terra chiplets on a big friendly salad that includes roasted broccoil and brussels, newman's honey mustard dressing, and sabra red pepper hummus

I eat exclusively from bowls, and will throw so much onto them that eating is like opening presents on Christmas. (Surprise! Veggie burger crumblies. Surprise! Citrus Avocado Dressing.)

don lee (costco) veggie burger on spinach with mushrooms, delicata squash rings, citrus avocado sauce, and HP brown sauce...and ketchup.

Speaking of squash, what about the time I stuffed a kuri squash with Israeli couscous and pineapple, then covered the whole thing in nutritional yeast, hummus, Dijon mustard, and HP sauce?

did i mention my condiment obsession????

Cinnamon-dusted canned pumpkin, grapes, and apples on frozen yogurt?

Why not?Instead of eating cereal with milk or yogurt, what about stirring up puffed rice and granola in applesauce mixed with hemp protein powder?

it's not easy being green.

And, let us definitely NOT forget the foremost freaky foodie achievement of the week: pomegranate-mustard-thyme glazed Brussels sprouts and parsnips on flax-infused oats covered in yellow mustard and ketchup.

do my co-workers think i'm weird for eating it....or photographing it?

Yep. I should probably rename my blog The Strange Kitchen, considering most of the recipes I come up with are things most people would never think to even want to eat.*

*It has taken me a long time to realize that the reason I probably don’t get many blog comments is most people are too kind to say, “Um. That looks disgustingly odd.”

garlic, rosemary, and applesauce...hummus?

But I let my foodie freak flag fly.

And I’m proud of it.

—————————–

Thanks to Laura for shining a light on all of the freaky foodies out there. We are sisters in strange, and I love her for it! Next week, perhaps I’ll have an actual Strange But Good recipe to share…but like I said, my whole blog is pretty much strange but good. :)

In the mean time, check out what other weird food movement supporters have come up with!

claire @ live and love to eat December 21, 2012 at 8:21 am

You might win the Strange But Good award if it was a competition! :)

Meg December 21, 2012 at 9:35 am

I agree, Claire ;)

Calee (@chimes) — life + running December 21, 2012 at 11:06 am

Agreed. :)

Tricia @ Saving room for dessert December 21, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Winner winner!

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count December 21, 2012 at 9:31 am

Ok, Sarah…I think you win Stranage But Good!!! Lots of examples…You’ve been saving those up, haven’t you?!? ;-) Have a great weekend!

Sarah December 21, 2012 at 11:23 am

The sad (strange?) thing is that I have even MORE crazy concoctions…just ran out of time and energy to post them all….

Meg December 21, 2012 at 9:34 am

I honestly think the last one sounds great!!!!!!!!!! :) rosemary apple hummus!? YESSSS

Sarah December 21, 2012 at 11:12 am

Don’t worry, I WILL be posting the recipe. :)

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table December 21, 2012 at 9:40 am

You really should change you blog name because you – like several mentioned – arethe Strange But Good winner!

The cereal-protein powder concoction has long been my portable airplane breakfast. Only I mix it with water or coffee from the flight attendants. Maybe I should ask if they have applesauce up there is first class…

Sarah December 21, 2012 at 11:13 am

Do I need to give an acceptance speech? ;)

And applesauce is a totally underrated staple. Maybe I should do a post on that.

Heather @ Better With Veggies December 21, 2012 at 12:02 pm

I think your food (almost) always looks awesome! :) But I guess that just means we’re both strange. But as I always say, no one really wants to be normal. Normal is average, and average is C, and you don’t want to get a C…

Allie December 22, 2012 at 6:55 am

Oh my gosh, spaghetti squash and sauerkraut?? That sounds spectacular(ly strange but good)! WHY did I polish off that can you sent me weeks ago?? Oh yeah, because I love sauerkraut and there’s no way that was going to sit unopened in my kitchen ;) Guess I just need to go buy another can of my own. And a spaghetti squash. And then let tasty stringy joy commence.

Sarah December 22, 2012 at 9:20 am

If you can find the Libby’s Bavarian style in Tennessee, I will be moving there. One of my readers mailed me 24 cans of it because I haven’t been able to find that brand since I left Texas, and it really is the best!

P.S. Another great combination is simply sauerkraut, spaghetti squash, BBQ seasoning, nutritional yeast, and roasted red peppers….on a bagel. Maybe I’m just obsessed with BBQ seasoning lately though.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables December 22, 2012 at 12:20 pm

I like the sounds of pretty much all your combinations!! I like weird food combos too! :) I used to never like mixing my food. I would eat my green beans…. then my peas… and so on. Now, mix and mash baby!