Vegan Mo-FAIL + Food Swap

by Sarah on November 1, 2012 · 13 comments

I have failed the Vegan Month of Food.

Not because I ate yogurt the first two or three days because I refused to waste any of it.

(Straight out of the tub is the best for the edge bits. I need a witty name for that. The way I have bug and crumblies and chiplets. Perhaps yo-grip? Because it grips the edge of the carton? Maybe?)

No, after that, I ate vegan the entire month, even making Nutty Butter (smidge of) honey-free.But I was always looking forward to November, when I could eat yogurt, or my beloved Scat! Bars, or even Love Grown Granola, again.

spent 20 minutes checking expiration dates--not that i ever pay attention to them--so i could stock up at the $1 fage sale

I failed because I was already a vegan* ‘mo fo.

*with benefits

And even though sometimes I eat yogurt, have goodies baked with eggs or honey, and occasionally take a bite of seafood (perhaps practically licking the plate of straight-up butter sauce while I’m at it…), my blog is already vegan.

just like this baked bean chili

Arbitrarily tagging posts as ‘Vegan Month of Food’ just because they happen to be vegan wasn’t really what the Vegan Mo Fo was about.And while I do eat a (95%) vegan diet, I do not always define myself as a vegan. I celebrate food of all types, whether or not I’m eating them, waxing poetic just as much over how delicious pulled pork smells as how yummy roasted squash tastes.

pre-roast, obviously. although i'll make a case for eating the roasted 'guts.'

So I failed. I gave up writing posts specifically for this month, because my life is a vegan month of a food. :)

Oh well.

One thing I won’t fail on is saying thank you to my Vegan Food Swap match, Amanda, for an AMAZING package this month. [Even if I failed to do it on the right day...]

From the minute I saw the bright blue owl on the bright pink gift bag, I knew this was going to be good.

Why, hello!For the second month in a row, this swap proved to be PERFECT for me.

(Although I have again failed…in using any of it but the soy sauce, because I have issues with opening crackers when I’ve already got some open, and perpetually save travel packs of nut butter for trips that I never seem to take.)

From the (coco) nut butters…

…to the unique local goodies…

kentucky bourbon smoked salt and local soy sauce!

…and the nod to my Wasa obsession.

doctor cracker is the upper class wasa

I loved every minute of opening this box. :)

The Verdant Life’s Vegan Food Swap is going on hiatus for November and December, but I hope it will be back in January. I might fail at the Vegan Mo Fo, but I certainly LOVE this exchange.

Failure or not, one thing’s for sure.

It’s still my blog.

And I’ll do what I want.

Emily November 1, 2012 at 9:27 am

Yo-grip! Love it. hahaha. Those are the best parts. It’s just so thick and creamy.

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Yes! And all of the cereal sticks in it…I don’t know why that is satisfying, but it is.

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 1, 2012 at 9:58 am

Yusties (yogurt crusties).

I want a vegan food swap. Bourbon sea salt. Mmmmmm!

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:21 pm

I don’t really know what to do with it. All I can ever think of using anything for lately is oatmeal or Nutty Butter. Bourbon Sea Salt TVP proats? Bourbon Sea Salted Caramel Nutty Butter?

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 2, 2012 at 8:48 am

Ohhh… nutty butter would be fab. So would a chocolate tart or flourless chocolate cake… or those chocoalte sea salt cookies I make, but with the bourbon salt. Can you tell I’m craving chocolate?

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli November 1, 2012 at 11:16 pm

Omg, I was thinking “yogust” for yogurt crust! Get out of my head woman!

amanda @ maepress November 1, 2012 at 10:27 am

I’m so glad that you liked everything! This was such a fun swap. I look forward to more swaps in the future.

And cheers to you for your *mostly* veganism. I too have gone back and forth between being strict and not-so-strict. I think that it’s the thoughtfulness that we put in to our food choices and the mindfulness that we use while eating that really matter. Labels can sometimes cloud the point of the whole endeavor.

R November 1, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I was so engrossed in Hart in Dixie that I didn’t even notice your dairy consumption. As a dairy lover, I don’t know how I missed it other than shamelessly rooting for Wade to give Hart a smooch. Welcome back, roommate.

Liz @ IHeartVegetables November 1, 2012 at 4:05 pm

That doesn’t sound like a fail at all, my dear! :) And I LOVE your approach to veganism. I think if I’d done it that way, I probably would have stuck with it. Honestly, though, I love yogurt ;)

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 1, 2012 at 8:47 pm

How fun!! You got some good goodies! I love your approach to veganism. I eat eggs now and fish occasionally. I understand the vegan with benefits. Your yogurt is my eggs. ;)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 1, 2012 at 8:51 pm

I think that a 95% vegan diet is what will work for me. I’m going to continue at 100% for awhile and then just eat dairy or meat if I feel like it- but right now I don’t miss it.
Ahhh I need to do the good swap!!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli November 1, 2012 at 11:20 pm

I love you. But seriously, HOW did you not rip into those nut butter packets?! Acai berry? Omg, with my curiosity (and lack of willpower) I probably wouldn’t have even finished looking through the box before I tasted some of that!

Have you ever tried the Dr. Kracker apple crisp crackers? I don’t know why, but they make me think of you! Lol

PS, it KILLS me to see people throw away yogurt cups before rightfully cleaning them first…with their finger…because there is NO other way to finish off a thing of yogurt! ;)

Kanoe November 2, 2012 at 8:02 am

OOH those cocoa butters in your box look delish!!! Love that brand! Yo-grip??!! Clever girl clever HAHA!! :-D