Nutmeg Peach Cranberry Sauce

by Sarah on November 12, 2012 · 15 comments

When I hear the word nutmeg, I think of three things:

1. Rachael Ray telling me that a pinch of nutmeg is “the thing that makes you go ‘hmmm?‘* in a pot of greens.

*And then the thought of C+C Music Factory leads to “Everybody Dance Now,” which leads to Marky Mark…which makes me happy, because Mark Wahlberg grew up mighty fine, didn’t he?2. Mama Smart’s love of nutmeg, which is so strong she keeps it–and nutmeg’s spousal equivalent, cinnamon–in vessels usually reserved for salt and pepper.3. And, perhaps most randomly, Third Eye Blind’s song, “Ode to Maybe,” where Stephan Jenkins sings: If I could bottle my hopes in a store bought scent/ They’d be nutmeg peach, and they’d pay the rent…

Thus, when Heather announced that N is for Nutmeg in her Meatless Mondays A-Z Challenge, I was fixated on pairing peach and nutmeg…but how?

And then I saw the cranberries.

Cranberry sauce spiked with orange is delicious, so why not the subtle sweetness of peaches? Perhaps the best thing about this recipe is how incredibly easy it is.

Obviously, peaches are not in season right now, but that’s why we have frozen fruit, isn’t it?*

*Also for making smoothies, I suppose.

whole foods might be called 'whole paycheck,'but their frozen fruit is the cheapest around

Empty the whole bag of cranberries into a sauce or wide-lipped saute pan. Follow a similar rip-and-pour action with the peaches.Then add nutmeg- lots of nutmeg–and sugar. [I like my sauce a bit tart, so I use less sugar than what is called for in a typical recipe. I also used NuNaturals erythritol sweetener...mostly because they mailed it to me eons ago and I really needed to start reviewing it.]

it really does taste just like sugar

Because nutmeg is lost without cinnamon, I added a dash of that, and ginger…because, well, why not?

After that, all you pretty much have to do is add in some water and stir.Unlike with risotto, however, you can walk away for extensive periods of time.

While the cranberries are poppin’, you can, say, fold some laundry, watch some Hart of Dixie, or read a book or something.When you check on it, make sure to mash the peaches up a bit. I like it chunky, but you do want some of the sweet peach flavor to infuse the sauce.

Sweet, tart, and saucy. Just like me? ;) Nutmeg Peach Cranberry Sauce

[Makes 3 Cups]

• 1 12-oz. bag fresh or frozen cranberries
  • 1 10-oz. bag frozen peaches
  • 3/4 cup sugar (or sugar substitute, like NuNaturals Sweet Health crystals)
  • 4 tsp. ground nutmeg
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • 1 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
  • 1 1/2 cups water
  1. Combine all ingredients in a saucepan or wide-edges saute pan over medium heat. Stir well to combine.
  2. Once cranberries start popping, reduce heat.
  3. Continue to simmer, stir, and smush at regular intervals until sauce has formed and reduced.

———————–

Perhaps you, like my roommate, are asking yourself, “What do you do with it?” Although I’m perfectly happy just eating spoonfuls of it, straight from the pan, it is also delicious mixed in Greek yogurt for a late-night cereal bowl snack.

puffed rice, three sisters' berry wheatfuls, and 365 morning-os and peanut butter balls

Or perhaps on top of oatmeal?

maple TVP 'proats' w, pears, apples, sauce, and cascadian farm ancient grain granola

And then, of course, you can take it to the Weird Food Movement place and pair it with The Wild Pea Cinnamon Hummus on roasted kuri squash, with spinach, and generous helpings of dijon mustard and nutritional yeast?

Maybe?

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 12, 2012 at 6:15 am

Mmm that sounds (and looks) DELICIOUS!!

Fran@BCDC November 12, 2012 at 7:42 am

This sounds SO GOOD, Sarah! Bet I could switch this up and put it in the crock pot. Boy would this smell good cooking. Thanks for the idea, I will of course give you credit!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table November 12, 2012 at 8:00 am

Haha – I must have been channeling you because my nutmeg laced TVP oatmeal was stuffed in a squash. Would have been really good topped with your cranberry sauce. Mmmm…

Liz @ iheartvegetables November 12, 2012 at 8:56 am

YUM! I wanna try the bright citrus!

Kristina November 12, 2012 at 11:06 am

“nutmeg’s spousal equivalent, cinnamon” <– I love it.

homemade cranberry sauce from fresh cranberries is one of my very favorite things about the holidays – I make mine with fresh ginger and raspberries! and I always make a lot, so I can top ALL THE FOODS with it. and now I want to try peaches… peaches for me.

Heather @ Better With Veggies November 12, 2012 at 11:06 am

You and Laura were definitely on the same wavelength this week! Love good cranberry sauce — and that you added peaches! I cooked with cranberries this weekend too – that recipe is coming later this week.

Laima @ Women's Endurance Gear November 12, 2012 at 12:43 pm

I usually make cranberry sauce with apples and cinnamon — cranberries, peaches and nutmeg sound like a great combo!

Kovas - 50 States Of Wine November 12, 2012 at 3:26 pm

Sounds good and so simple! Last couple of photos look delicious.

Lindsey @ Pas de Deux November 12, 2012 at 5:59 pm

When I read “Things that make you go hmmm…” I IMMEDIATELY was singing the CC Music Factory song in my head! Then you commented on it, and I realized that perhaps this was not normal… oh well, who wants to be normal?!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables November 12, 2012 at 9:31 pm

I have never thought about cranberries and peaches together!! Great idea!! I want some now! lol

Amy November 12, 2012 at 9:32 pm

Yum!! Im definitely making this tomorrow…I have a bag of cranberries in the fridge just waiting to be mushed with peaches and NUTMEG! So fun. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 13, 2012 at 3:58 pm

Ohhhh YUMMMM!!! You know I love all things cranberry. Looks like I might have to make this for Thanksgiving dinner!!
I’ve used NOW brand erythritol before, and didn’t find it to be sweet at all. Maybe NuNaturals is better? I know that their stevia tastes WAY better than any other brand…

Sue Holliday November 20, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Had seen a receipe for cranberries with peaches that I wanted to make for Thanksgiving Day dinner. Bought the fruit but though I had bookmarked my receipe but can’t seem to find it. while going through others to find it I came across this one and thought it sounded so good with the nutmeg etc that I dedided I will give this a try. Also read somewhere where one woman wanted to try this is a crockpot so it would just flo though the house with such great aroma. That is what I am going to do. I will have to pull the lid off a few times to smuch it up a bit but that is fine as I have plenty of time, a couple of days, right? Will let you know how it turns out & how my family likes it. I usuall make something different every yr with cranberries. I like to make everything from scratch on Turkey Day, that is another thing that makes it special untill you get people that bring n store bought stuff, ug, just not the same!

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli November 22, 2012 at 6:06 am

I love mixing fruits in homemade cranberry sauce! Never thought to add peaches before…YUM!