Weathering the (Franken) Storm [WIAW]

by Sarah on October 31, 2012 · 25 comments

Happy Halloween!

I haven’t had much horror in my life this October, which I should be thankful for I think. :) Since I spent last weekend celebrating many blendships, I missed Halloween shenanigans in town. No dressing up this year for me…but that doesn’t mean I haven’t had a little bit of a spook.In fact, the whole East Coast has had a bit of a spook, and for some it has been scarier than others. Thankfully, everyone in my family is fine, and here in Charlottesville, all the stress and panic resulted in lot of rain, more than a few strong wind gusts, and two days off from school. I spent all of Monday just waiting for the power to go out, but in the end, I was able to enjoy two days weathering the Frankenstorm in comfort. [Not everyone has been, obviously, so lucky.] Thinking it might be the last time I was able to cook breakfast for awhile, I took time to slowly cook a batch of ‘proats’ featuring oats, oat bran, TVP, and flax seed. Chocolate Plant Fusion protein powder and LorAnn Oils English Toffee flavoring turned them into a sweet Heath Bar treet!On Monday morning’s Today Show, they gave a timeline of the order you should eat your food if (and when) the power goes out. Since raw, uncut veggies last for a relatively long time without refrigeration, I stocked up that morning. Just because there is a hurricane, doesn’t mean you can’t stay healthy, right?I also stumbled upon Sweetango apples! These were my FAVORITE last fall, while in Austin, so I was incredibly excited to find them in Virginia.Another piece of advice from The Today Show was to eat your proteins–including tofu–and all cut veggies first. Thus, my lunch.

you thought i was lying when i said i eat this sabra tuscan hummus every day, didn't you?

I swear, my lunch on Tuesday was totally different. Can’t you see the lack of tofu and substitution of zucchini for cucumbers? Can’t you?The lack of tofu on Tuesday can be attributed to my impromptu dinner Monday night: an Asian rice florentine soup made with leftover vegetable broth, poured over some sad spinach–cooked out of its misery– with added cubed, slightly cooked tofu, and brown rice.

miso, ginger, sambal oolek, and soy sauce were all the seasoning I needed

You know what doesn’t go bad when the power goes out? Nutty Butter!This Peach Cobbler-esque test batch proved might yummy, both then…and late night. :)

A sweet hurricane present–albeit one I bought myself, but no matter–arrived in the mail Monday afternoon: Capella flavor drops in a plethora of flavors I could not wait to get started trying out.

Upon discovering Hart of Dixie on Netflix, Rach and I commenced a marathon of the show, during which I consumed a big ol’ yogurt mess, using the Gingerbread flavor drops to add a little something extra to the Trader Joe’s vanilla soy yogurt.

Cranberry sauce seemed a natural pairing with Gingerbread yogurt.

Cranberry sauce also tasted great with another of my favorite apples: GOLD RUSH! These are crazy good…so much so that I did a little dance at Whole Foods when I saw they had come in for the season.Those apples are so good, that although my dinner of Carrot Lentil Curry–with chiplets–was satisfying…

a few chiplets at a time...until the very end, when you dump them all on at once!

…I just might need to go get myself a little snack. :) [What do you think, Jenn?]

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 31, 2012 at 6:19 am

Yay, I can comment now!! :D

I love Tango apples…kinda sweet/tart like Honeycrisps (which I FINALLY found). But guess what? I think my infatuation with Mutsu apples has finally turned to full out LOVE because my dear ol’ Honeycrisps just haven’t rocked my little apple picking heart like they have in the past. So sad…especially since I can NEVER find Mutsus in a store…only at the farmer’s market which is now CLOSED! I’m going to go cry now.

Yay for Capella drops! I think Gingerbread will be the next flavor I go with. How’s the fig? Have you tried it yet?

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:31 pm

Loved the fig! I have only tried that, the gingerbread, and the peanut butter. The peanut butter tastes artificial, but I can work with the gingerbread.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli November 1, 2012 at 11:13 pm

Oh yeah, the peanut butter is definitely not my fave, but it’s better than the egg nog one! Trust me…do NOT go there! #itsbeenmonthsandimstilltryingtogetthetasteoutofmymouth ;)

Miss Polkadot October 31, 2012 at 6:42 am

I’m glad you and your family weren’t affected by the storm!

Aaah, all of those flavour drops you got! We can’t even find nearly as interesting ones around here. Cranberry sauce on Gingerbread yogurt? Mmmmmh!

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 31, 2012 at 7:44 am

I’ve never heard of a sweetango apple! I want to try one!!! Lots of good eats, holy cow!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 31, 2012 at 7:59 am

Yay! I was so sad last night when I couldn’t make the insightful, witty comment I’d planned while reading. I forgot side comment over night… but act like I’m saying something awesome right now.

LOVE those drops! How’s the fig? What do you think of the PB? That’s the only one I can’t stand (sorry). Had to wash it down with #nuttybutter.

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:30 pm

Dude, I LOVED the fig. It was actually really natural tasting. I am with you on the peanut butter. It tastes like peanut butter frozen yogurt to me…artificial. I should just stick to peanut flour…or, you know, REAL peanut butter. :)

Eating 4 Balance October 31, 2012 at 7:59 am

2 days off from school…. Whoo hoo! I envy you for that– Not how you got them though. Glad to hear everyone in your family is safe!

Yes. I love Hart of Dixie. I actually need to catch up on some of the episodes on Netflix. I’ve been cheating and just watching the new ones on Hulu. Haha. Do you have any other good recommendations of what to watch on Netflix? I honestly never trust the star ratings…

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Well, it depends on what you are in the mood for I guess. My roommate and I have watched all of Pretty Little Liars on Netflix and now are frustrated because we have a huge gap between the end of those and what is on Hulu! I love Happy Endings and Modern Family for something quick. If you like mysteries, watch the BBC Sherlock Holmes miniseries…AMAZING. I loved Suits, and have started watching White Collar, too.

I swear, I do do other things besides watch Netflix.

Eating 4 Balance November 2, 2012 at 7:46 am

Pretty Little Liars. Check. Sherlock Holmes. Check. I’ve watched bits and pieces of Happy Ending and Modern Family before. So funny! I just started watching Revenge. So suspenseful!! :)

Jessie October 31, 2012 at 8:13 am

I’ve NEVER heard of those capella flavor drops, but my goodness I really think I must order some soon. I mean gingerbread flavoring? How could that be anything but amazing!

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

They have SO many flavors. I love the fig best so far. It is the most natural tasting, although the gingerbread is pretty close.

Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) October 31, 2012 at 8:23 am

These drops you speak of are intriguing. I must check them out! I love gingerbread. I wonder if they have butterscotch (my true love).

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Oh, m’dear, you don’t even KNOW. They have every flavor under the sun.

Kelsey @ SoMuchLifeToLive October 31, 2012 at 9:23 am

I’ve never heard of sweetango apples. Are they tart?

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:24 pm

I always liken the Sweetango to a Honeycrisp, but with a little more bark in its bite. They are actually varietals grown by the same family or group of farms in the midwest I believe, but I sometimes find that Honeycrisp are all sweet without any substance. The Sweetango solves that problem.

Calee (@chimes) — life + running October 31, 2012 at 11:55 am

Not that I don’t care about what you ate Wednesday … but I usually come for the franken-graphic. :) they’re my favorite!

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:22 pm

They’re my favorite part, too. Maybe I should do a WIAW post composed solely of all my bastardized WIAW logos.

Calee (@chimes) — life + running November 1, 2012 at 2:25 pm

YESSSSSSSSSSSS.

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 31, 2012 at 12:39 pm

I’m so glad you’re weathered the storm calmly, I wish I had a little break from work. :) I know I technically did on Monday, but it didn’t really feel like it with all the travel stuff. Oh well – Thanksgiving week is soon!

Amanda @ Diary of a Semi-Health Nut October 31, 2012 at 3:31 pm

So glad you stayed safe lady! The storm doesnt seem real…it’s just been chilly here but not even rainy! So weird.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables October 31, 2012 at 3:48 pm

I’m so glad that you are okay! I was so worried! :) I need to try those Capella drops… sound delish! I so want your food btw… can you imagine what a great foodie reunion we are going to have one day??

Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile October 31, 2012 at 9:08 pm

I’m so glad to hear that you weren’t very affected by the storm! Your food is always awesome. I’ve never had that type of apple!

Sarah November 1, 2012 at 2:22 pm

They are SO good…like honeycrisp, but with a little more oomph behind the sweet. :)

Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning November 1, 2012 at 8:54 pm

I want to eat your entire day- and I need to find those apples- I’ve never heard of them!
And whhhaaaaat?? Peach cobbler nutty butter?!