Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ the Proat(s)

by Sarah on October 17, 2012 · 17 comments

Let’s talk about the breakfast of this champion.

a delightful topping of holiday grapes, local black twig apples, bananas, and blueberry clif bar crumblies

Just as quickly as the oatshake obsession arrived, it retreated in the face of chilly morning temperatures. And, although I attempted to remedy this situation with a hot chocolate s’mores oatshake (complete with marshmallow fluff + Graham Crackerz* cereal)…

*Yes, it bothers me that they spell it with a Z. But not enough to prevent me from wanting to eat it.

WARNING VEGAN MO FO VIEWERS: THIS WAS NOT VEGAN (It is a photo from September. I'm sorry for showing it. But not that sorry.)

…I eventually gave in and settled on my constant (breakfast) companion of late:

previously frozen raspberries, fresh bananas, and local mutsu apples, plus a sprinkles of bob's red mill muesli

Proats.*

*Did I debate about putting an exclamation point to herald in their triumphant arrival? Yes. But a period makes a more definitive statement (and requires less energy) so early in the morning.

I don't even know what this is, but it looks like FROG preserves, PB2 goo, Cinnamon Sweets, and Love Grown Cocoa Goodness

(You can’t call it proatmeal, because it has oat bran in it, too.)

that amazing jar from marshalls has held everything from raw cashews to sauerkraut to oat bran. what a memoir it will write one day.

Thanks to the Quaker, and the Trader–

–although the Kroger oat bran(d) is just as good, and has a resealable bag that currently provides a nice home from the extra Joe-t bran–

–I have a new favorite breakfast.

creamsicle proats made with orange juice + vanilla protein powder, topped with pear, date pieces, peaches, and granola crumblies

Because sometimes I feel like the only photos I’m showing on Instagram are pictures of my proats, I figured it was about time to give all y’all (including our lovely proats host, Jenn) a special What I Ate Wednesday tutorial on proat preparation.I do apologize that this has nothing to do with Halloween or spooky sweets…unless you count the time I made a chocolate peanut butter proat bowl of perfection.

dark chocolate chips, PB2 goo, peanut butter granola bar crumblies, and a sprinkling of wegman's chai-spiced fiber essentials

The method is simple: first, cook up your oat and oat bran combo (the ratio and amount is really up to you, based on how many calories you need and/or want) on the stove.

I use instant oats as a compromise for making them on the stove every morning. I can barely get out of the door as it is, so waiting for regular oats to cook won't do.

Once they are creamy and delicious, stir in some of your favorite protein powder. [I only use 1/3 of a scoop, since I tend to use protein powder in different treats throughout the day.]

the day you realize you can eyeball exactly 18 grams is the day you know you've got proat-verboard

Add in extra liquid and stir it around. [This is where you can add orange juice for creamsicle proats, or cherry juice if you need some muscle recovery.] You might need to whisk it to get it come out smooth.

or you'll leave the chunks in because you were the weird kid who liked it when you found globs of hot chocolate mix in the bottom of your mug

Let it cook to the consistency you desire…and then comes the best part: TOPPINGS!

previously frozen blueberries, local crispin apples, and wegman's chai-spiced fiber essentials (which i need more of, if any of you are listening)

Really, the best part of eating proats is that you get to put so much fun stuff on ‘em.

cherry ginger proats w. bananas, shockingly delicious fall peaches, and date pieces

Fluffernutter proats were a particularly delicious creation.

peanut butter granola bars melt into a fabulously delicious 'crust'

And proats proved a perfect vehicle for some pie-spiced roasted grapes and apples.

can you tell i have a slight fixation on bulk bin date pieces? they ARE covered in OAT flour you know...

I even packed protein powder when I went to Pennsylvania for a wedding, so that I could eat them at Papa Smart’s house…

previously frozen strawberries, fresh blueberries, fiber one, and kashi cinnamon crumblie crunch crumblies (say that three times fast)

…and in a jar on the ride back home. :)

proats in a jar...in a car.

In fact, proats have made more than one jar-ringappearance. Usually there is no reason for it except that I just want to eat out of a jar.

those dates again...and previously frozen berries...and mutsu apples..(maybe I needed the jar to shake things up a bit?)

The only question you should have left is…what kind will I make tomorrow?

keeping it (relatively) simple with chopped apple + vega berry energy bar crumblies

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 17, 2012 at 1:16 am

I loooove protein powder in my oats! Apparently we’re on the same wavelength today because I put in in a pumpkin version of my TVP oats! Totally trying those s’more proats as soon as I can eat treats again…

Krista October 17, 2012 at 2:33 am

I make something close to your proats [almost] every morning. :o ) I just had to comment because I bring mine in a mason jar to work (elementary school) and have a reputation for being that strange person carrying her breakfast around in a mason jar. :o ) Glad to see someone else is with me on the oatmeal/proats in a jar idea! Oh, and banana, with coconut and chai spiced nut butter = delicious! :o )

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 17, 2012 at 6:07 am

I’m so already on the proat bandwagon. best stuff ever! I eat it everyday and never get tired since there are so many ways to change it up.

Jessie October 17, 2012 at 6:24 am

I can’t get over how delicious every single picture looks!!

Miss Polkadot October 17, 2012 at 6:45 am

Mmmh, looks proat-licious! What’s your favourite protein powder?

Haha, looking forward to the day you’ll publish your memoir about the “amazing jar” ;) . I might have to write an ode to reusable plastic bags then :D .

Fran@ Broken Cookies Don't Count October 17, 2012 at 7:04 am

Yum to all!

Liz @ iheartvegetables October 17, 2012 at 7:54 am

I swear I’m like the one person in the world who hasn’t gotten into oats like CRAZY. My roommate is literally make some right now. I just don’t LOVE them. What’s wrong with meeeee?

Eating 4 Balance October 17, 2012 at 8:52 am

I’ve tried mixing protein powder into my morning porridge and it just turned out BLAH. I may need to try your method though for proats. Looks great, and I definitely won’t forget the toppings :)

Calee (@chimes) — life + running October 17, 2012 at 10:53 am

good idea about only stirring in a bit of protein powder. i drink the rest during the day. :)

Heather @ girlyeverafter October 17, 2012 at 12:54 pm

YUM!!! I love oats for b-fast but still haven’t added protein powder to them. Not exactly sure why, but after all these yummy pics I’ll for sure try it.

Allie October 17, 2012 at 1:53 pm

I like oatmeal with protein powder. I like oatbran with protein powder. Why have I never combined the two? And then topped it with all sorts of creative deliciousness?

And things spelled with unnecessary Zs (and Ks) drive me crazy. Krasy? But if it’s tasty enough, yup, I’ll eat it too.

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables October 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm

mmmm… I LOVE protein powder in my oats! Of all the foods I miss the most that I can’t have right now… oats is on the top of that list…with peanuts! Can we have a proats date soon?? Even if it is over skype… :) I miss you!

Heather @ Better With Veggies October 17, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Isn’t it funny how we get in the mood for something and eat it all the time? Like me and vegan cheese right now? :)

Amanda October 17, 2012 at 9:32 pm

“Proatverboard”. Snort.

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 17, 2012 at 10:16 pm

You’re quite pun-ny… :)

Lele October 22, 2012 at 9:23 pm

With you a hundred thousand percent on finding cocoa mix chunks being the best thing ever. Did you ever get that Land o’ Lakes hot cocoa mix they sell at Costco? Lawwwwwd.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 25, 2012 at 1:08 am

Ahhh, I have been practically living off Mutsu apples for WEEKS now! They are so unlike any other apple I’ve ever had…and I love the somewhat soft (yet still a bit crisp) texture. Of course that still doesn’t keep me from scoping out all the stores in search of my beloved Honeycrisps! I can’t believe I haven’t seen a single (organic) one yet (I saw some at the farmer’s market in St. Louis, but sadly, not organic…and apples are just about the only thing I’m strictly organic only on!)

Love the idea of creamsicle oats! Can’t believe I’ve never thought of that! And um, I need more of that Wegman’s cereal TOO!! Mmm, so good!