Roast Your Grapes. Trust Me.

by Sarah on October 11, 2012 · 19 comments

I received a text on Tuesday from the teacher who I was long-term subbing for that read:

::the kids really miss you. today blondie* brought in a photo of you from the paper for show and tell::

*Not her real name. But it could be.

Yes, y’all…I’m famous!

OK, if a photo hidden in the middle of page two in The Daily Progress is famous. But a lot of people came up to me and told me they saw me…so it counts, right?A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to do a demo at the C’ville Vegetarian Festival. I chose to take advantage of seasonal produce and make my Quin-Waldorf Salad.*

*Really, that name never gets old.As with all the majority of my demos, I spent 15 minutes actually using a knife and/or cooking, and about 45 minutes talking about my life, giving my thoughts on the best items to purchase at Trader Joe’s and where specific items are cheapest in the various stores around town, and enlightening people to the path of vegan-with-benefitsism.

It was a bit exciting that I actually cooked quinoa correctly.

(And even more exciting that people came back for seconds...and thirds!)

But the best part of the demo was watching people’s faces as they ate roasted grapes for the first time.

An obsession that developed last year around this same time, roasted grapes are tiny bursts of sweet juicy perfection that take what is light and refreshing when eaten in the summer and make for a warm, rich treat in chillier temperatures.

You can make them sweet or savory, and I always pair them with apples.Whether you choose to sprinkle on thyme and rosemary, or apple pie spice, really doesn’t matter. It also doesn’t matter what type of apple you choose.

(or if you cut your apples the same size...who has time for that?)

Because it is all about the grapes.

sweet red or black are best

Pop spice (or herb) covered apples into a 400-degree oven for about 10-15 minutes, and then throw in chopped grapes and stir everything around with a bit more seasoning.Fifteen more minutes is all you usually need. [Although if you let the grapes get a bit charred they taste a lot like raisins.*] Warm or cold, they are DELICIOUS.

*Which should be obvious. And probably is to you. But it was a shock to me. :) The next question you have is probably. “So…what do I do with them?” [Besides marvel at how black grapes dye apples pink.]And I will stare at you, perplexed (in a similar manner to how I react when people ask me what to do with Nutty Butter) and say, “Umm….eat them?”

Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 11, 2012 at 6:06 am

First of all, congrats on the demo – so cool!
And second, never heard of it, seems weird but at the same time, seems DELICIOUS!!

Sabrina @ Living, Learning, Eating October 11, 2012 at 6:16 am

Congrats! It sounds like things are going great :) I’ve never thought of roasting grapes, but that does sound yummy…

I nominated you for two blogger awards, by the way! Details here: http://living-learning-eating.blogspot.com/2012/10/beckmanns-bakery-german-bakery-in.html#

Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 11, 2012 at 8:02 am

i have been seeing so many grape recipes lately! i love it! i would never think to make something with them!

Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 11, 2012 at 8:50 am

I’m not sure I’ve ever had a roast grape, but I’d like to. I’d also like to attend one of your cooking demos!

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table October 11, 2012 at 9:25 am

Roasted grapes rock!!! One of my favorite lunch spots sometimes has a wheat berry salad with roasted grapes, goat cheese, and herbs. It’s life-changing.

Allie October 11, 2012 at 10:42 am

I WILL trust you, roasted grapes sounds amazing. Roasted grapes and apple with roasted garlic over brie? Holy cow, just made myself drool a little over here. Hoping the coworkers weren’t looking.

Calee (@chimes) — life + running October 11, 2012 at 11:37 am

never thought to roast grapes. in fact, i don’t even like grape that much, so i’m going to have to try this!

also, totally counts as famous. I’m in the paper this week too, and nevermind the fact that i solicited that spot.

Sarah October 11, 2012 at 3:10 pm

I’ve been meaning to try roasting grapes for a few years. I should get on that. Congrads on the exposure!

Brittany @ Delights and Delectables October 11, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Congrats on the demo love!! You are famous… I’m friends with a famous person… how cool is that?!?! ;)

Maria October 11, 2012 at 5:53 pm

Ah, that’s so awesome about the demo and the press around it. Making us readers so proud :)

Roasted grape and apple pie…now there’s an idea.

Sarah October 12, 2012 at 7:40 am

You, m’dear, are a genius.

Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 11, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I just found your blog today . . . so fun! I love the roasted grapes idea! I will definitely be trying this. :)

Sarah October 12, 2012 at 7:39 am

Welcome to The Smart Kitchen! I’m so happy you found me. :)

Lindsey @ Pas de Deux October 14, 2012 at 8:29 pm

I had a total Sarah dinner tonight… threw a bunch of veggies, rice, and a bit of leftover tofu in a bowl, and then thought, “why not?”, and threw my roasted grapes and apples on top–delicious! Thanks for the inspiration.

Tt in nyc October 14, 2012 at 10:38 pm

I loooovvveee roasted grapes! I always add a crazy amount of fresh pepper and somehow always roast them with fennel…
You are so famous!! Awesome!!
And trader joes has freeze dried grapes.
Awesome.

Heather @ Kiss My Broccoli October 25, 2012 at 4:52 am

Aww, yay! Congratulations miss thang! How cool to get the chance to do a demo AND get featured in the paper! Can I have your autograph now, before it all goes to your head? ;)

I had my first roasted grape last Thanksgiving and my mind was BLOWN! I’ve never really been a huge fan of grapes, but roasting them takes it to a whole other level! I totally need to make this quinoa dish! Ohh, maybe for Thanksgiving THIS year! :D